Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2011+ Dodge Durango-WD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/)
-   -   Durango vs. Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/durango-vs-grand-cherokee-20733.html)

kaflyboy 03-24-2011 08:08 PM

Durango vs. Grand Cherokee

After seeing several Durango commercials I'm constantly reminded how close the Durango looks to the Jeep. Same internal insturments, rear looks similar with the chrome strip across the back, and the front grill (on the commerical i just saw) looks just like the Summit. Trying to figure out the marketing strategy of this release.

http://www.dodge.com/en/2011/durango/virtual_tour.html

netcoolery 03-24-2011 08:17 PM

Re: Durango vs. Grand Cherokee

I'm thinking they are shooting for the on-pavement or light off-road tow/haul SUV market. The Durango hauls 7 people because it has that third seat. Once you stretch the chassis that much, you impair the off-road capability somewhat.

When I compared the two at the Phoenix Auto Show, I was indeed struck by the similarities in the interiors - but the outside styling is different enough to make them look like very distant cousins.

Jpjr 03-24-2011 08:37 PM

exactly the durango has more room and less off road capability

i also sat in a few durangos and couldn't find the "overland" equivalent. they felt like limiteds, just not quite to spec with the overland inside and out. that could be my perception, but i did sit inside the special edition one they had in the showroom

andyh 03-24-2011 08:41 PM

The Durango is too expensive for what you get, imo.

Tinkan 03-24-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netcoolery (Post 382445)
I was indeed struck by the similarities in the interiors - but the outside styling is different enough to make them look like very distant cousins.

Which is why we have the Jeep Liberty.... :lol:

I have been noticing that many of the 2011 Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler parts look to be interchangeable. It is a good business model if you can make it work but they need to keep then separate.

I too looked hard at the Durango Citadel and was impressed as I walk up but once inside there was no comparison to the Summit or Overland.

Technosavant 03-24-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkan (Post 382465)
I have been noticing that many of the 2011 Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler parts look to be interchangeable. It is a good business model if you can make it work but they need to keep then separate.

Badge engineering is old hat for the Big 3. Take a given vehicle, tweak the front and rear clips, fiddle with equipment, and sell it under a different brand. The Durango has a bit more differentiation anyway, with the extended wheelbase and third row. I would expect that the size will be pretty well identical to the upcoming Grand Wagoneer; those two will likely be VERY closely related- where the GC and Durango are siblings, the Durango and GW will be fraternal twins.

chibianh 03-24-2011 09:07 PM

my neighbor just got a new Durango Citadel. I have yet to see it up close, but from what I've seen so far of the exterior, I'd still take my GC in a heartbeat. I'm not saying the Durango is a bad looking vehicle, I just think the GC looks better. :)

iJeep 03-24-2011 09:08 PM

Neh, GC FTMFW

BuckeyeSRT 03-24-2011 09:29 PM

I drove a Summit and a Citadel today. I think the GC interior is much nicer and drives better.

aleatory 03-24-2011 09:35 PM

My wife and I briefly considered the Durango because of its increased cargo capacity. But, we liked the Grand Cherokee's exterior styling much more, and the Durango's interior (although certainly not bad) was one step down from what we wanted.

Jpjr 03-24-2011 10:44 PM

ah yes... citadel is what i was referring to above

NeoStrom 03-25-2011 08:59 AM

I just saw Summit and Durango (not sure which model) at dealer yesterday. No comparison! Summit looks more refined and aggressive. They may seem similar in ads, but very different in person.