Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   V6 with Engine Block Heater (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/v6-with-engine-block-heater-20735.html)

danno85 03-24-2011 08:16 PM

V6 with Engine Block Heater

Anyone with a V6 and engine block heater - where is the cord? According to the owner's information it's wrapped and strapped to the dipstick tube, which seems odd, and I'm not seeing that on mine. Anyone have a picture, or found their's in a different location?

Chi-One 03-24-2011 08:54 PM

Re: V6 with Engine Block Heater

Usually they exit at the lower air intake of the front bumper. It may be clipped inside the bumper cover.

Cherodude 03-24-2011 09:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I found the cord wrapped near the front right side of the engine bay, not far inboard of the passenger headlight. But it was down low in the dark (in winter when I went looking). It has a three prong plug with a plastic cap on it.

Edit: I found the cord too short to feed out through the grille as I usually do, so just routed it out over the headlight. I may do something different next year.

azzolij 03-24-2011 09:12 PM

Mine is in the passenger side front corner of the engine compartment next to the radiator overflow tank.

danno85 03-24-2011 09:37 PM

Alright, I found it, on the far right side between the overflow tank and inner fender, and it was really tucked down on mine. I wouldn't have found it without your descriptions, and cherodude, saw your pics when I came back in and mine is in the same location, but was really pushed down and out of sight.

I traced it back and the block heater is on the driver's side of the engine, with the cord, in plastic conduit, running up over the engine under the cover and on over to the passenger side fender, so looks like there is plenty of cord there to play with in re-routing.

Thanks again for the help!

Dan

netcoolery 03-25-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danno85 (Post 382489)
Alright, I found it, on the far right side between the overflow tank and inner fender, and it was really tucked down on mine. I wouldn't have found it without your descriptions, and cherodude, saw your pics when I came back in and mine is in the same location, but was really pushed down and out of sight.

I traced it back and the block heater is on the driver's side of the engine, with the cord, in plastic conduit, running up over the engine under the cover and on over to the passenger side fender, so looks like there is plenty of cord there to play with in re-routing.

Dan

Is this forum great or what? Even though this particular issue doesn't apply to me, I get a great feeling seeing how someone was spared a lot of hassle and frustration because we can share info.

danno85 03-25-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netcoolery (Post 382864)
Is this forum great or what? Even though this particular issue doesn't apply to me, I get a great feeling seeing how someone was spared a lot of hassle and frustration because we can share info.

Absolutely. I agree. My sales rep didn't know (via e-mail) and was going to ask a tech but didn't get back to me. I don't think too many Jeeps in Texas are ordered with engine block heaters...

It's a great community of knowledge.

Red G8R 03-25-2011 06:49 PM

I added an outdoor extension cord and ran it along the side back to the firewall, behind the firewall and out at the base of the driver's wiper. That way it's not hanging in the front but in a protected area at the base of the wiper/windshield. I zip tied it at a few key spots too secure it.

WK2OverlandII 03-25-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danno85 (Post 382489)

Dan

Your from Austin TX...what the heck do you need a block heater for?

danno85 03-25-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WK2OverlandII (Post 383241)
Your from Austin TX...what the heck do you need a block heater for?

And why does where I'm from have anything to do with it?? :D

WK2OverlandII 03-25-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danno85 (Post 383248)
And why does where I'm from have anything to do with it?? :D

Ahhhhh...let me see I've been to Texas about four times and its very warm there? If you keep that thing plugged in in the winter down there you will find that you engine will warm up faster and allow you to shift into overdrive much faster hence save a little gas mileage...although in Kansas in the winter I have mine plugged in while the vehicle is in the garage at a warm 40 degrees when its about 10 degrees outside....:lol:

danno85 03-25-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WK2OverlandII (Post 383249)
Ahhhhh...let me see I've been to Texas about four times and its very warm there? If you keep that thing plugged in in the winter down there you will find that you engine will warm up faster and allow you to shift into overdrive much faster hence save a little gas mileage...although in Kansas in the winter I have mine plugged in while the vehicle is in the garage at a warm 40 degrees when its about 10 degrees outside....:lol:

In all honesty, I may never use it, but I wanted it!
Cheers :thumbsup: