Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Overland Driving Impressions at 5,000 miles (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/overland-driving-impressions-at-5-000-miles-20736.html)

Geronimo 03-24-2011 08:36 PM

Overland Driving Impressions at 5,000 miles

I'm very, very impressed with this vehicle. So good to see Chrysler get it right. Power, handling, comfort, and build quality have been top notch so far. I'm absolutely amazed at the ride and handling on the highway for such an off-road capable vehicle ... quite an accomplishment. Noise, vibration and harshness characteristics are superb. I'd put this vehicle up against a lot of luxury vehicles ... cars or trucks. And man, does it handle crappy weather well. The only niggles I have with the vehicle is the nav/radio design (it's interface and screen layout just feels like a low-end implementation compared to the rest of the vehicle) and fuel economy with the Hemi. I'm actually getting about 2-3 mph better than the sticker's city rating and 4-5 mpg better than the highway rating, but it still seems low in this day and age.

On a 1-10 satisfaction scale, I rate the vehicle a solid 9 ... I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it! :thumbsup:

Cherodude 03-24-2011 09:26 PM

Re: Overland Driving Impressions at 5,000 miles

And built in your hometown. Sweet!

danno85 03-24-2011 09:42 PM

Nice report - good to hear! I've only got 200 miles on mine and really liking it.

aleatory 03-24-2011 11:15 PM

Thank you for the review!

My view with fuel economy is that you've got to pay to play. If we want torque, we will have pay for it at the pump. That said, I'm pleased to see that you're getting a good bit higher efficiency than the sticker.

I've got negative miles on mine--it hasn't been built yet. Though it went from VON to VIN in 8 days. My wife can't wait!

Dan JGC 03-24-2011 11:52 PM

Geronimo - What media center do you have RER, RHB, or RHR? I'm guessing RER since you have 5K miles on it already.... So far, the RHR has proven to be a huge upgrade from my 2005 GC system which was state of the art back then (which I think is called the REC with Nav and UConnect).

Geronimo 03-25-2011 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan JGC (Post 382573)
Geronimo - What media center do you have RER, RHB, or RHR? I'm guessing RER since you have 5K miles on it already.... So far, the RHR has proven to be a huge upgrade from my 2005 GC system which was state of the art back then (which I think is called the REC with Nav and UConnect).

I have the RER system. Display organization (soft buttons, map display) is cluttered and low res. Picture display function is worthless. iPod integration/music navigation is kludgy, IMO. Sirrus traffic updates are wrong many times ... on recent 500 mile trip, it would try to reroute me around non existant traffic jams (map would show red traffic pattern and nav would re-reroute, yet I would stay on route and there would be no traffic at all. Happened several times.)

the1jake 03-25-2011 07:34 AM

Count me in as extremely satisfied with my Overland. I can echo most of those statements except I have the 3.6 which reacts like a different engine after the TSBs were performed.

The missus is seriously considering getting rid of her '07 JK and purchasing a new JGC.