Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Stereo Install (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/stereo-install-2075.html)

08Hemi 08-14-2009 12:38 AM

Stereo Install
 
OK, so thanks to the help of Matt and a lot of others, I have started my stereo build. I have come a long ways over the last two days...I have included pics below, with a lot more to come as I am probably only half way. I have everything except the sub (hahaha), takes a week to build :) I have pics of my in-hand products below (went with a Monster 2 gauge amp kit, sundown 1000 amp, 1.0 c/ft box and C2A-CHY3).

I have ran the wires for the remote bass knob, 2 gauge power and remote turn-on. I will run the RCA's on the passenger side of the vehicle tomorrow, along with finish ground for amp and install C2A adapter. I need to take some more pics, but I am happy with my progress so far...considering a total of 4 hours after work drinking beers and doing this for the second time (first on my Jeep)!!!

Any tips/tricks are appreciated for taking off the navi/bezel for radio access. I have the printouts from wkjeeps.com (what a cool resource:D) so it may be all I need...first time for everything. Also ask any questions you want, I am learning a lot about her!!!!!

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u...2/DSC00855.jpg

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u...2/DSC00866.jpg

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u...2/DSC00868.jpg

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u...2/DSC00870.jpg

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u...2/DSC00872.jpg

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u...2/DSC00871.jpg

Megatron 08-14-2009 06:47 AM

Re: Stereo Install
 
Looks good man!

Hope to see the final product

NHWK05 08-14-2009 07:18 AM

Re: Stereo Install
 
Looks good dude, I had my bass knob in the same spot its really nice there.

Matt 08-14-2009 08:17 AM

Re: Stereo Install
 
Awesome progress so far Brad!! Looks like professionally work!

As for removing the radio bezel.. pretty much follow the wkjeeps.com directions - just go slow and don't force anything. Once you have the bezel off I'd recommend removing the radio entirely (it's only 3 plugs if I remember correctly), this will make working with the PAC adapter and RCA's a lot easier with an empty cavity.

You are well on your way my friend, almost all of the hard work is already behind you (running the RCA's can be sort of a pain, but I had 3 sets when I was running mine and they were thick so you'll probably have better luck).

Keep the pics coming!

08Hemi 08-14-2009 11:31 AM

Re: Stereo Install
 
EZY - Thank you...I can't wait to have some bumps! I will def have more pics and hopefully I will get the sub soon to finish up

Kyle - You gave me the idea for the bass knob! Thank you

Matt - Can't wait till I get to hear this combo! Should be a space-saving beast!!! Thanks again for your help and guidance!!

Matt 08-14-2009 01:19 PM

Re: Stereo Install
 
No problem at all. That setup is going to pound!

Remember to set your gain properly since you are installing a remote bass knob.

Directions:

Car/stereo off - everything 100% installed/connected
  • Turn the remote bass knob gain all the way up
  • Turn gain on amplifier all the way down
  • Be sure all the settings on the radio are flat (bass/mid/treb set to 0)
  • Turn the bass boost to 0
  • Set the subsonic filter to ~25hz
  • Set the low-pass crossover to ~60-80hz, don't go higher than 100hz. Between 60 and 80 should be ideal.
Now, turn the car/stereo on
  • Put a familiar CD with a decent amount of low hz (bass) activity... most likely rap.
  • Turn the radio volume up as high as you usually go (take it to the point where the factory speakers start to show signs of stress or fatigue)
  • Now turn the volume down a few units... remember this # as once you are done setting your amplifier gain you will never want to take the volume past this #.
  • With your stereo blasting, your bass knob turned to its max, go to the amplifier and slowly turn the gain up... continue to turn it up until the sub seems to be stressed or to the point of distortion.
  • Now come back slightly on the gain and keep the gain there. Keep in mind your gain on the amp may barely be cracked, that's fine (and preferred).
  • Pop in some more test CD's that stress heavily on bass... if there are any points where the sub seems to bottom out or distort, go back and turn the gain down slightly.
Now, everything on the amplifier is set except for the phase. Phase adjustment is equivalent to switching the positive and negative wires for the sub at the amplifier (obviously you'll use the switch on the amp). Play around with this... this will essentially change when the sub will "hit" by milliseconds. Try it at "0" and "180" (180 = reverse phase). One will sound better than the other (for me, my phase is reversed on my sub).

Now that your amp setup is 100% complete, you can go back to the radio and make bass/mid/treb adjustments as you see fit. Don't go crazy with the bass setting though, mine is set to 0 and that is plenty, I'm sure you'll find the same. Try this;

Bass: 0
Mid: -2
Treb: +3

Balance: right 2 units
Fade: front 2 units

That should sound pretty good, but again, it's what sounds best to you that matters.

Also, since you set your gains with the knob all the way up, you won't risk sending a clipped signal to your sub if you decide to crank the bass via the bass knob.

After that you should be all set... happy listening!!

B.P.O.D 08-14-2009 01:22 PM

Re: Stereo Install
 
why 2 notches to the right for balance?

Chris 08-14-2009 01:26 PM

Re: Stereo Install
 
EXCELLENT INFO MATT! I had no idea there was that much involved in setting up the gain LOL I have always had the shop's do it during install. (atleast I hope they did :p )

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 47522)
No problem at all. That setup is going to pound!

Remember to set your gain properly since you are installing a remote bass knob.

Directions:

Car/stereo off - everything 100% installed/connected
  • Turn the remote bass knob gain all the way up
  • Turn gain on amplifier all the way down
  • Be sure all the settings on the radio are flat (bass/mid/treb set to 0)
  • Turn the bass boost to 0
  • Set the subsonic filter to ~25hz
  • Set the low-pass crossover to ~60-80hz, don't go higher than 100hz. Between 60 and 80 should be ideal.
Now, turn the car/stereo on
  • Put a familiar CD with a decent amount of low hz (bass) activity... most likely rap.
  • Turn the radio volume up as high as you usually go (take it to the point where the factory speakers start to show signs of stress or fatigue)
  • Now turn the volume down a few units... remember this # as once you are done setting your amplifier gain you will never want to take the volume past this #.
  • With your stereo blasting, your bass knob turned to its max, go to the amplifier and slowly turn the gain up... continue to turn it up until the sub seems to be stressed or to the point of distortion.
  • Now come back slightly on the gain and keep the gain there. Keep in mind your gain on the amp may barely be cracked, that's fine (and preferred).
  • Pop in some more test CD's that stress heavily on bass... if there are any points where the sub seems to bottom out or distort, go back and turn the gain down slightly.
Now, everything on the amplifier is set except for the phase. Phase adjustment is equivalent to switching the positive and negative wires for the sub at the amplifier (obviously you'll use the switch on the amp). Play around with this... this will essentially change when the sub will "hit" by milliseconds. Try it at "0" and "180" (180 = reverse phase). One will sound better than the other (for me, my phase is reversed on my sub).

Now that your amp setup is 100% complete, you can go back to the radio and make bass/mid/treb adjustments as you see fit. Don't go crazy with the bass setting though, mine is set to 0 and that is plenty, I'm sure you'll find the same. Try this;

Bass: 0
Mid: -2
Treb: +3

Balance: right 2 units
Fade: front 2 units

That should sound pretty good, but again, it's what sounds best to you that matters.

Also, since you set your gains with the knob all the way up, you won't risk sending a clipped signal to your sub if you decide to crank the bass via the bass knob.

After that you should be all set... happy listening!!


Matt 08-14-2009 01:36 PM

Re: Stereo Install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by B.P.O.D (Post 47524)
why 2 notches to the right for balance?

Because the driver seat is not centered relative to the speakers, so this will usually center the sound stage for the driver. The passenger, not so much, lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 47527)
EXCELLENT INFO MATT! I had no idea there was that much involved in setting up the gain LOL I have always had the shop's do it during install. (atleast I hope they did :p )

It's a very important part of the installation process that should not be brushed off in the interest of preserving and protecting your equipment; especially when a gain knob is added to the process. Most guys will simply set the gain (properly or improperly) and then add the knob after the fact and once they go to turn that knob past zero you introduce the likely possibility of clipping the signal being sent to your $250 sub and... kaboom! Time for a new sub, lol... don't want that.

B.P.O.D 08-14-2009 01:43 PM

Re: Stereo Install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 47535)
Because the driver seat is not centered relative to the speakers, so this will usually center the sound stage for the driver. The passenger, not so much, lol.

lolol thats funny:) i keep mine centered. i usually have another person in the truck... thanks for the tips matt!

Matt 08-14-2009 01:44 PM

Re: Stereo Install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by B.P.O.D (Post 47540)
lolol thats funny:) i keep mine centered. i usually have another person in the truck... thanks for the tips matt!

No problem!

08Hemi 08-14-2009 02:49 PM

Re: Stereo Install
 
Yeah Matt I keep saying it but you are the MAN!!! I can't give you a +rep b/c it says i have to spread it around...just did and I still can't juice you up. I will keep distributing and trying! You are gonna be gone two weeks? Where you going to this time?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community