Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Subs issue!!!!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/subs-issue-20776.html)

ONEbadHEEPtruck 03-25-2011 06:58 PM

Subs issue!!!!!

Ok so I got the one 12" alpine type r installed on Tuesday with a alpine m1000 1000 watt amp installed and driving around blasting the sub enjoying the music, it was ridiculously loud and my bass was at -9!!! The sub was bumping sooo loud I honestly think I would hate it if I had them in my car forever. Back to the story so I got my cAr back at 2pm and was driving around playing music and at around 8 pm same day I was playing my music loud testing the subs and all of a sudden I smelt a horrible smell thats smelt like burnt metal so I pull my car over and me and my friend open my trunk and see that my sub was shooting out smoke like crazy so I turned my car off and turned the radio off and then cut the grounding wire so there would be absolutely no power going to it. And basically they are no longer in my car anymore and i would reccomend a smaller sub like 10" or 8" bc the sub was Soooo big and loud.. And yeah Ik they're supposed to be loud but it was ridiculous.. Anyways it's no longer in my car and Im happy my car didn't go up in flames.

JRsmoothee 03-25-2011 07:05 PM

Re: Subs issue!!!!!

sounds like someone didnt set your gains right and you fried your voice coils

triggasrt 03-28-2011 11:35 AM

Yep that is what i was gonna say. They set the gain all the way up on the amp and fried the sub. I would take it back to them and complain that they had it set to hi. That really sucks! Thats why i do everything myself.

ONEbadHEEPtruck 03-28-2011 06:06 PM

I think that's what it was and they took everything out and refunded all of my money... maybe some time b4 i think about putting another sub in my car

White Chocolate 03-28-2011 07:26 PM

They didnt set it properly.

Why didnt you get them to just reset it and fix it?

ONEbadHEEPtruck 03-28-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Chocolate (Post 384716)
They didnt set it properly.

Why didnt you get them to just reset it and fix it?

Bc the something on the sub melted and burnt..

White Chocolate 03-28-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ONEbadHEEPtruck (Post 384726)
Bc the something on the sub melted and burnt..

So?

Get a new 12" back, and set the gains properly?

JRsmoothee 03-28-2011 09:04 PM

i would not even want to deal with an audio shop that doesnt know how to set gains properly.....i would take the refund also. And thats exactly why i do all my own audio installs there are alot of retards out there

ALPINEST4RS 03-28-2011 09:12 PM

Do you have a DMM? You can set your gains pretty efficently with a voltmeter. The cheapest way is by using the ear-o-meter :)