Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Which tires should I buy, you be the judge (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/which-tires-should-i-buy-you-be-the-judge-20781.html)

mjw930 03-25-2011 08:27 PM

Which tires should I buy, you be the judge

I'm looking to replace the 265/50R20 Fortera's on my Overland with something that's higher performance. Our size is a challenge but I'm not interested in taller or shorter tires, I'm going to stick with the stock size for now.

I've narrowed it down to 4 tires, 5 if you count the General UHP's but they are discontinued and I don't want to get into a situation where I need 1 tire and it doesn't exist anymore.

Yokohama Parada Spec-X

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...ec_x_ci2_l.jpg

BF Goodrich G-Force KDW NT

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...kdw2_ci2_l.jpg

Nitto 420s

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/pr...nitrh5.ang.jpg

Toyo Proxes ST2

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse....roxies-ST2.jpg

For our friends in Chicago, VOTE EARLY and VOTE OFTEN :)

mhansen2 03-25-2011 10:10 PM

Re: Which tires should I buy, you be the judge

What do you mean by "higher performance?" Better traction at speed, in the wet or snow and ice, off road . . .

I'm getting four BF Goodrich All Terrain KO 265/65R18s for an Overland with the Off Road Adventure Group II. My dealer's parts department says they will fit despite being an inch taller. I've used them on my '93 GC since day one and traction on and off road is superb.

Chaoul1 03-25-2011 11:33 PM

Do you want ALL-Season tires? Or just Spring/Summer Tires?

mjw930 03-26-2011 07:22 AM

By higher performance I mean something that provides better feedback, sharper steering response, better dry and wet traction, etc. The Fortera's at best could be considered a highway/truck tire. Very numb feeling lacking the grip and responsiveness of a true performance tire. The suspension and overall rigidity of the new WK2 chassis cries out for a more performance oriented tire for those who lean that way. If I had patience I probably would have waited for the SRT but I don't. That's still no excuse for not wanting a more connected driving experience. I'm not trying to make it into a sports car, I'm smarter than that, but that doesn't mean I can't optimize the performance I have.

As for the type of tire, I only "need" a summer tire but 99% of the tires in this size are all season and considering I might find myself north in the winter months for one reason or another it only makes sense to go the all season route.

Chi-One 03-26-2011 08:50 AM

For our friends in Chicago, VOTE EARLY and VOTE OFTEN :)

Thank You mjw930! We are and we will! Even the dead ones!:lol:

Technojeep 03-26-2011 09:42 AM

I have the Nitto 420s in 255/45 20 and really like them. There are quite a bit of positive reviews on them. I picked them up online from Discount Tires direct. I don't have any experience with any of the others you have listed but have also read good things about the Parada Spec-X. Good Luck

kimohens 03-26-2011 10:08 AM

What ever you do, stay away from Goodyear. Over priced and not that great. Looking to get out of mine right now. I'm looking at some Toyo's maybe the Proxes 4, but not sure yet. I'm checking out reviews on the others you have mentioned. Let us know what you end up running with. good luck

moosehead 03-26-2011 10:31 AM

Nittos or Toyos look like you will get the tacky goodness sought with perhaps resistance to hydroplaning in those FLA downpours. Still think it is worth wearing out the stock GY rubber first, unless you have a buyer for them. Any tire will wear fast under a 5K lb rig. Enjoy.

mjw930 03-26-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 383412)
Nittos or Toyos look like you will get the tacky goodness sought with perhaps resistance to hydroplaning in those FLA downpours. Still think it is worth wearing out the stock GY rubber first, unless you have a buyer for them. Any tire will wear fast under a 5K lb rig. Enjoy.

I ended up ordering a set of the Yokohamas. I talked to a couple of guys in my local Porsche club that have tried a couple of these on their Cayennes and to a person they rave about the Spec-x. I checked on rennlist as well and these are universally liked Since the two vehicles are very similar I think it's a good comparison.

My motivation was fueled by a $100 rebate this weekend at Florida Discount Tires. They also gave me $200 for my take offs so I'm out the door for around $550 with lifetime balance and rotation. FYI the Toyo is backordered and my last experience with Nitto wasn't great.

They should be in later this week.

Thanks everyone.

andylcg 03-30-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhansen2 (Post 383275)
What do you mean by "higher performance?" Better traction at speed, in the wet or snow and ice, off road . . .

I'm getting four BF Goodrich All Terrain KO 265/65R18s for an Overland with the Off Road Adventure Group II. My dealer's parts department says they will fit despite being an inch taller. I've used them on my '93 GC since day one and traction on and off road is superb.

Hey do you a photo of your jeep with those tires on that you can post?

mjw930 04-01-2011 07:41 PM

OK, so I got the Yoko's installed yesterday but have only put 50 miles and 2 heat cycles through them so this is not a comprehensive review.

The first thing that caught my eye was there much wider profile, almost 1" wider tread and what looks like at least that much more section width and they are the same size, 265/50-20, I checked 3 times :) .

3 of the 4 took less than 1/2 oz to balance with the 4th needing 1 oz total, pretty extraordinary for a wheel/tire package that weighs over 52 lbs. On the balance machine they spun as true as I've seen in a while, virtually no lateral or radial runout, again, pretty darn good for a tire of this size and type.

On the vehicle they look very good, they fill out the wheel well nicely.

On the road the first thing I noticed is they seem to be both firmer and softer than the factory Goodyears at the same time. They are firmer in they don't "bounce" as much over larger imperfections. RR tracks, expansion joints and larger imperfections are absorbed with one firm higher frequency thump instead of the more bouncing "pillow" effect of the stock tires. They are softer on initial turn in since they seem to have a softer sidewall and a bit more slip angle but they transition into a firm bite that would have the Fortera's screaming for mercy. They do transmit more road feel but seem to absorb the small imperfections just fine. They are very quiet in normal driving but pushed, as they load the outer tread, their sound profile changes. I haven't gotten them to break loose yet so I don't know if they will simply slide or make noise at the limit.

So far I'm very happy but I want to get a few more heat cycles through them before I pass final judgement since I can already feel some improvements after some spirited driving today vs. right off the lot yesterday. There's some vibration that I haven't isolated yet, it may simply be the road I was on today. More to come.

mjw930 04-02-2011 03:34 PM

UPDATE:

These tires are coming off Monday! I had the opportunity to tow my trailer with these and the ride was borderline scary. The sidewalls are so soft and the tread squirm so bad under load that the truck would yaw as the trailer moved. I swear I felt the trailer sway control kick in a few times. I had pulled the same trailer with the same load over that same stretch of road with the Goodyears and it was much better.

I'm biting the bullet since I have a long trip planned at the end of the month pulling the trailer and am putting on Michelin Latitude Tour HP's. These are the same tire that come standard on many BMW, Porsche, Audi, and VW SUV's. The manager at Discount Tire assures me they should clear up the sidewall and tread squirm issues.

The Toyo and Continentals are not available, both on backorder so it's these or back to the Goodyears.

More to come! I'm nothing if not entertaining, right? :)