Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Truck wont start! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/truck-wont-start-2079.html)

lordfeyr 08-14-2009 09:11 AM

Truck wont start!

Ok so we have now had the vehicle a little over a week and yesterday my wife said she went to leave her moms and it would not start. She got a jump and came home.

I charged the battery but sure enough, over night it died again...

What should I start looking for?

White WK Swagga 08-14-2009 09:26 AM

Re: Truck wont start!

Do the alternator test. Also check the battery to see if you're getting 12.5 volts. Any shop can do a load test on the bat to see if it's good or not. Make sure there is enough electrolite in the bat. If not top it off with distilled water to barely touch the bottom of the opening in the bat cell walls.

Robert Palmer 08-14-2009 09:44 AM

I had this problem about 2 months ago. And 500 dollars later, it was the starter.

White WK Swagga 08-14-2009 09:53 AM

I had a problem like this last night. But I was just out of gas 2 buildingd down from a gas station. LOL My light was on for 2 days....

iJeep 08-14-2009 09:58 AM

Well, if you can start by using a jumper cable, it is not the starter. What you need is a new battery. IMO

Oh yeah, make sure that the cables terminal (- and +) are properly connected tightly to the battery.

lordfeyr 08-14-2009 10:07 AM

I will charge or jump it tonight to go check the battery and the alternator.

Its still the Mopar batter but the freaking thing looks new, and the terminals are nice and shiny, so either the dealer cleaned a ton of corrosion off the terminals or its new.

Are we able to check the levels in the battery on these? I thought they were sealed "maintenance free"....

I dont think its the starter unless thats causing a draw somehow.

White WK Swagga 08-14-2009 10:38 AM

Oh I never looked at the battery to be honest. If it's sealed than you can't do anything to it.

Scottina06 08-14-2009 12:20 PM

it is a sealed battery...no maint. needed. My battery was the same way a month or so ago...looked perfect....and just died. If thats an 05...I would guess it is the original....just get another one. I think mine cost $120 from my Jeep dealer

Denny boy 08-14-2009 02:01 PM

My jeep dealer said to go with a yellow top on mine there a hundred bucks and worth it nice and powerful. i use two of them for all accesories and my system.

Scottina06 08-14-2009 02:25 PM

I recommend the mopar replkacement...nice warranty and not some ugly ass color

Dylans3960ccs 08-14-2009 06:05 PM

a new battery.

Robert Palmer 08-14-2009 06:10 PM

I'm telling ya it is the starter. I had this SAME exact problem.