Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Dealer rust, paint, fabric protection? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/dealer-rust-paint-fabric-protection-20795.html)

shamus 03-26-2011 11:56 AM

Dealer rust, paint, fabric protection?

Did you get it?
Should I?

boldd 03-26-2011 12:33 PM

Re: Dealer rust, paint, fabric protection?

I never do. I think it's a scam to be honest. The only thing I do is the 3M clear protection on the hood, front bumpers, A-pillar & mirrors.

vikingdave 03-26-2011 12:39 PM

I think it's a scam, there isn't much they can do to improve upon what has already been done at the factory. I did a 3M clear bra on the hood, front bumper, and front quarter panel tips. Also, some automotive scotch guard from Walmart on the carpet, and I would also do the seats with scotch guard that is made for them if I had cloth.

darkrt 03-26-2011 01:50 PM

Dealer BS! A waste of time and money.

the1jake 03-26-2011 04:39 PM

No, No and NO. If you're going to spend extra money, consider the MaxCare extended warranty. (but not from your dealer unless they'll match the prices you can get online for the same exact product)

Also consider either the floor and cargo liners to protect the carpeting.

mjw930 03-26-2011 09:57 PM

It's not a scam but it's a HUGE profit center for the dealer, something like an 80% markup.

The entire uni-body as well as the exterior panels are treated and/or coated for rust resistance far better than any spray on aftermarket "goop" is going to provide, the "paint sealant" is nothing more than commercial polymer sealant like Mcguires NXT or any of the dozens of off the shelf products that ALL wear out and need replenishing anywhere from every 3 to 12 months and the fabric is already protected from the factory but you can scotch guard it if you want for $5 and 30 minutes of your time.

SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!!

shamus 03-27-2011 09:22 AM

Thanks for the input! Is there anyone out there with a different opinion?

Red G8R 03-27-2011 12:17 PM

Aftermarket rust-proofing generally negates your manufacture's rust warranty.
Even Consumer Reports does not support these dealer added protections.

jgc4ever 03-27-2011 12:33 PM

The Auto Armor Paint Protectant works very well at making the paint stay looking nice and it's warrantied. Based on that warranty I was able to get the hood redone on my 98 ZJ when it had what I thought was bird dropping, but realized later was some type of chemical the dealer somehow got on the hood, for no cost to me.

eternollie 03-28-2011 03:04 AM

I went with the underbody coating. just cause I the crazy winters up here. Works out easier letting them do it, than going somewhere after I get the jeep and having to sit and wait for however long in their waiting room or whatever.

WintrHawk 03-28-2011 09:32 AM

I didn't actually fall for the dealer paint protection scam for Cilajet treatment but I also didn't step back fast enough (was in a hurry) and the thing got applied to my purchase agreement. At this point, I am pretty resigned to the fact that I just threw away a chunk of money.

However, the sealant hasn't been applied yet and I'm wondering if I should even let them do it. They say they have to strip off the factory clearcoat first. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

Since the treatment is already paid for, if there's no harm in getting it done then I'll have them do it but if I'm better off just chocking it up as thrown away money and there's a possibility that getting it will make keeping the finish clean harder in the long run then I'll just never make the appointment. What say ye?

jgc4ever 03-28-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WintrHawk (Post 384348)
I didn't actually fall for the dealer paint protection scam for Cilajet treatment but I also didn't step back fast enough (was in a hurry) and the thing got applied to my purchase agreement. At this point, I am pretty resigned to the fact that I just threw away a chunk of money.

However, the sealant hasn't been applied yet and I'm wondering if I should even let them do it. They say they have to strip off the factory clearcoat first. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

Since the treatment is already paid for, if there's no harm in getting it done then I'll have them do it but if I'm better off just chocking it up as thrown away money and there's a possibility that getting it will make keeping the finish clean harder in the long run then I'll just never make the appointment. What say ye?

That's different then the Auto Armor paint protector then which I am familiar with which is just a polish.

I wouldn't let them remove the clear coat and do that to my vehicle.