Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Loose dipstick tube. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/loose-dipstick-tube-20806.html)

Nick-NY 03-26-2011 04:35 PM

Loose dipstick tube.

So I decided to change the oil on my V6 Overland this afternoon (2111miles)
5 quarts of 5w30 conventional oil, 1 quart of 5w30 full synthetic and dealer only avalible cartridge type oil filter part # 68079744AB ($6.20). When I went to check the oil level via the dipstick i noticed that it was pretty loose. upon closer inspection the 10mm bolt that secures the dipstick tube to the block was not screwed in all the way, I tightened it about 1/2 a turn but it was pretty tight there were still quite a few threads of the bolt exposed and the tube was still loose. I dont want to risk tightening the bolt all the way down and risk cracking/stripping the bolt hole.

Can anybody with the V6 engine pop their hood and check if theirs is the same or tight? Am I missing a grommet or is the wrong bolt installed? the dip stick is on the left side of the engine(passenger side) and has a yellow handle.

AAAA 03-26-2011 05:00 PM

Re: Loose dipstick tube.

Ran downstairs, across the house, out in to the garage, opened her up. She has a tight one.

walterhudson 03-26-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 383557)
Ran downstairs, across the house, out in to the garage, opened her up. She has a tight one.

Enjoy...a tight one is always the best

Nick-NY 03-26-2011 08:18 PM

OK thanks for the input, Ill remove the bolt and see if it the right one tomorrow.

mjw930 03-26-2011 09:46 PM

Those bolts are installed using a torque sensing tool which will stop turning once the prescribed torque is reached. It sounds like the bolt is cross threaded, tripped the torque wrench and the line worker didn't notice it wasn't fully screwed in. I would back it out and restart it before I forced it any harder. If it won't thread correctly and becomes hard to turn before it is all the way into the hole they I would STOP and take it into the dealer. Let them cross thread it then have to heli-coil it, not you.

Nick-NY 03-27-2011 03:00 AM

I have to pull the bolt out tomorrow and inspect the threads(I'm up watching the Australian Grand Prix) and figure out if it was cross threaded. I'd rather chase the threads myself than bring it onto the dealer.

mjw930 03-27-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick-NY (Post 383742)
I have to pull the bolt out tomorrow and inspect the threads(I'm up watching the Australian Grand Prix) and figure out if it was cross threaded. I'd rather chase the threads myself than bring it onto the dealer.

If you have the skill and tools I agree :thumbsup:

jeepinAl 03-27-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick-NY (Post 383546)
So I decided to change the oil on my V6 Overland this afternoon (2111miles)
5 quarts of 5w30 conventional oil, 1 quart of 5w30 full synthetic and dealer only avalible cartridge type oil filter part # 68079744AB ($6.20).

Please forgive my ignorance, but you mixed conventional oil with synthetic? Isn't that a no-no? I am far from being a gear-head/ mechanic, so I don't really know, hopefully others will chime in.

mjw930 03-27-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinAl (Post 383777)
Please forgive my ignorance, but you mixed conventional oil with synthetic? Isn't that a no-no? I am far from being a gear-head/ mechanic, so I don't really know, hopefully others will chime in.

That's an old issue, modern synthetics are 100% compatible with conventional oil.

Why he mixed them, that's a mystery. I suppose someone conjured up the idea that the mix is better for a new engine since many still cling to the urban legend that synthetic oil will prevent your engine from braking in.

Contrary to urban legend, wives tails and things you read on the Internet in a modern engine the type of oil you use when new and when it's "breaking in" is irrelevant. The only REAL reason to not use 100% synthetic from the beginning is financial. From the manufacturer's point it saves then millions over the course of hundreds of thousands of engines. From the consumer point of view, if you are going to change oil on shorter intervals such as 3000 miles (or less for those of us who are anal about the first couple oil changes) then conventional oils are fine.

Personally, I change the factory oil and filter at 500 miles with a top quality 100% synthetic of the proper weight and rating then settle into the factory recommended intervals, still using a top quality 100% synthetic and a good filter. That's me, I don't baby any of my engines, none are strangers to redline or the rev limiter, YMMV.

Oh, and if it matters, I'm not a kid, I've been wrenching on my own engines for 40+ years.

Nick-NY 03-27-2011 06:53 PM

I mixed the synthetic with the conventional to slowly introduce the engine to synthetic oil, I will add one quart every oil change till I get to full synthetic. no reason, i'm just crazy.

As for the Dipstick tube bolt, I removed the 10mm bolt and found it not cross threaded but bottomed out. I placed a grommet on the bolt to take up the extra space and torqued it to spec( I use the German torque spec. Gudentight) Dipstick issue resolved.