Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Sticking Caliper (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/sticking-caliper-20835.html)

barney9304 03-27-2011 04:19 PM

Sticking Caliper

Hi Guys, had a sticking caliper the other day, which heated my passenger side brake up so that it was smoking. Mine has the Teves calipers on, now because I was in a hurry, I replaced it with a same make caliper from a breakers yard. The breakers yard caliper fitted a treat and the pistons were smooth, went out tonight in it and when I got home after around 25 mins, the smoke was back and teh disk was glowing red. Have I been unlucky? or could it be something more than the caliper sticking?

I will be replacing the brakes with aftermarket ones, do I go with the akebonos or is there something else what will fit, made by a company that knows what it is doing?

Frango100 03-27-2011 05:37 PM

Re: Sticking Caliper

To be sure that there is no blockage in the hydraulic lines somewhere, i would open the bleed screw on the respective caliper and see if the brake would release that way. Are you sure by the way that the other side is releasing normally?

StoneCold 03-28-2011 03:26 AM

I'd say there's something else going on. The Teves calipers only real issue is causing uneven wear on the discs, causing them to warp. Other than that they're fine. So you've either been very unlucky or there's another underlying issue.

barney9304 03-28-2011 07:17 AM

The disk is very stiff to turn even with the pads free, but, worryingly the disk looks like it is not held on by anything but the caliper??

StoneCold 03-28-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barney9304 (Post 384283)
The disk is very stiff to turn even with the pads free, but, worryingly the disk looks like it is not held on by anything but the caliper??

It isn't! I was expecting to find a grub screw or something the first time I changed the discs, but no.

Frango100 03-28-2011 10:18 AM

The disc is hold in place by the wheel/wheel nuts. So you say that with the pads free the wheel still is hard to turn. Are both, the inner and outer pad free? Is the caliper freely moving on the sliding pins? These pins should be lubricated regulary for the caliper be able to apply and release the brake. (outer brake pad)
Is the wheel moving freely with the caliper removed? (there is still quite some friction in the driveline as well)

barney9304 03-28-2011 11:16 AM

i will try lubricating the pins tomorrow to see if that will do the trick!

barney9304 03-29-2011 05:46 AM

Well, greasing the pins didn't work:mad:

Any other ideas as this is going to cost dear at the stealers!

StoneCold 03-29-2011 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barney9304 (Post 384998)
Well, greasing the pins didn't work:mad:

Any other ideas as this is going to cost dear at the stealers!

Best idea - Don't take it to the stealership!!

At 80+ an hour you are getting ripped and I can't see them being able to strip down a caliper these days, after all they're only mechanical fitters, not mechanics.

What condition is your fluid in? Have you checked it? when was it last changed? If it's not been regularly changed, there is a whole load of crap that can build up. Most likely thing is that some of the internal rubbers or brake lines are swollen inwards and the fluid can't flow back to the MC.

barney9304 03-29-2011 06:26 AM

Well I am thinking the fluid is ok as all the rest of the brakes are all operating normally.
It is only the passenger front that is grossly overheating, I mean you can feel the heat from 3 feet away!
If the fluid was bad would that not affect al the brakes to some extent.
This problem has only just started, I cam in one night to find my caliper glowing red, checked it again the next day and it was the same, changed the caliper and it has not changed.

Do I bite the bullet and get both fronts changed for akebonos or some other aftermarket brakes, or should I try to service the caliper?

StoneCold 03-29-2011 06:30 AM

If it's just one caliper the chances are it's lines. The akebono calipers are as good as you need really.

If you were planning to do the upgrade anyway, then go for it. But while you're at it, replace everything, as my money's on it being the lines or some other internal part. It all depends on how long you intend to keep the Jeep for. Personally I've not bothered to change calipers ( I too have teves ones) as I don't plan to keep this Jeep for anymore than two years.

If the other calipers weren't working properly it would probably be a MC fault.

Frango100 03-29-2011 10:57 AM

Don't know why, but i thought that you where talking about a rear brake.........:o
So did you try opening the bleed screw on the caliper to see if it will release? Is the caliper moving freely on the pins now, after lubricating them? If you are sure that both pads are free from the disc and its still difficult to turn, then the problem is not the caliper. If the trick with the bleed screw doesn't help, i would remove the caliper and see if you can turn it freely then. Because when the pads don't touch the disc, there is nothing else from the brake to prevent it from turning.