Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2011 vs. 2012 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2011-vs-2012-a-20842.html)

gonzanc 03-27-2011 06:50 PM

2011 vs. 2012

Just wanted to say this was my first post and let everyone know that I am in the market for an overland 4x4. I am not quite sure if I should go with the v6 or the v8, but I am likely to go with the v6 due to its fuel efficiency.

My question is that seeing the 2012 is coming out in a few months, would I be better off waiting until then or trying to get a steeper discount on the 2011? I think I would be happy with either, but I was wanting to hear some pros and cons of either option. Thanks in advance!

jgc4ever 03-27-2011 06:53 PM

Re: 2011 vs. 2012

There may be incentives/rebates April 1st. And even better incentives/rebates May 1st. This is what Jeep has done in the past anyway. Jeep has also had rebates in March in the past but not this year on the 2011 so who knows.

Scottina06 03-27-2011 11:09 PM

there will be NO major changes that we have seen for the 2012's

wsw523 03-27-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 384051)
There may be incentives/rebates April 1st. And even better incentives/rebates May 1st. This is what Jeep has done in the past anyway. Jeep has also had rebates in March in the past but not this year on the 2011 so who knows.

i'm supposed to take delivery this week - should i hold out until Friday just in case there are new incentives? any insider info??? :confused::confused::confused:

Dan JGC 03-27-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsw523 (Post 384223)
i'm supposed to take delivery this week - should i hold out until Friday just in case there are new incentives? any insider info??? :confused::confused::confused:

--- Yeah, I have been watching your progress on the rails since yours went KZ 2 days after mine. I'd be pulling my hair out by now if I had been you. Not a bad idea though waiting to see on 4/1....perhaps the actually have a huge price increase instead though??? (April Fools). I doubt anything new since inventories are still low but worth a shot seeing how it is just a few days away and you are probably not gonna be able to get it until April anyway...yours says "on hold" which is odd now. Good luck and enjoy the new Jeep!

eternollie 03-28-2011 02:29 AM

Mine was "on hold" last week as well. Not sure if it still is. Wonder what thats all about?

mrfixxit7 03-28-2011 07:10 AM

Mine was unloaded from the rail car on the 19th and hasn't moved since then.
It is only about 150 miles to the dealership. I am getting a little nervous but I will not be able to pick it up until the 2nd regardless. So hopefully something will come out in April or May.

Jpjr 03-28-2011 07:33 AM

i would be very surprised if you see any real changes for 2012 besides the SRT addition and some additional exterior color choices.

i bought my cadillac in 2009 and was worried about the same thing... it's almost 2012 model year and there have been no changes.

one of the reasons is that the market has forced car manufacturers to offer all trim levels right out of the gate. besides tech enhancements like an 8sp tranny, there isn't much left on the options front that chrysler could throw at this thing right now. LEDs are one but most people could care less what materal their lights are made out of lol...

AAAA 03-28-2011 09:38 AM

Due to its popularity I would not be surprised to see a slight price increase for 2012.

Technosavant 03-28-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpjr (Post 384290)

one of the reasons is that the market has forced car manufacturers to offer all trim levels right out of the gate. besides tech enhancements like an 8sp tranny, there isn't much left on the options front that chrysler could throw at this thing right now. LEDs are one but most people could care less what materal their lights are made out of lol...

The way most manufacturers seem to do it is that they introduce a new model, and generally only gets very minor tweaks for the first couple years- maybe new colors, some very small changes to interior features, etc. Two or three years after introduction, you get a mid-life refresh, which could be anything from new trim levels and moderate interior tweaks to a more significant freshening of the exterior (revised front and rear fascias) and even the occasional powertrain changes. Then back to the extremely minor stuff for another year or two, and in the final couple years of that model, you may see yet more trim level revisions- like a "special edition" that takes some higher end features and moves them midmarket.

Jpjr 03-28-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 384391)
The way most manufacturers seem to do it is that they introduce a new model, and generally only gets very minor tweaks for the first couple years- maybe new colors, some very small changes to interior features, etc. Two or three years after introduction, you get a mid-life refresh, which could be anything from new trim levels and moderate interior tweaks to a more significant freshening of the exterior (revised front and rear fascias) and even the occasional powertrain changes. Then back to the extremely minor stuff for another year or two, and in the final couple years of that model, you may see yet more trim level revisions- like a "special edition" that takes some higher end features and moves them midmarket.

Agree that is how most do it today... and the mid-model life refresh is a standard now. Until then... I don't think you will see much new at all. Some exceptions have been the Shelby Cobra... that thing seems to get reworked every year and rumors now are that it willl make >600hp next year with the new motor introduced this year. Also in the old days new trim levels were staggared... for instance when we got the '01 Z06 that package was introduced four years after the launch of the C5 Corvette. Then when the C6 was introduced in 2005 the Z06 launched almost right away. I guess the ZR1 took a few years but that is such an exclusive vehicle it's tough to consider it "production".

Technosavant 03-28-2011 03:02 PM

My wife and I have been brainstorming a potential replacement for her 2006 Acura TL. We HATED the new TL... it looked like it fell out of the ugly tree (hitting every single branch on the way down) and lost a knife fight when it hit the ground. But it's a good example of this refresh cycle.

It has just received its mid cycle refresh- the nose is better and and more acceptable; the rear end not so much. The feature list also was tweaked extensively. Some features that are becoming more and more common (ventilated front seats) are now available. In another couple years I expect the TL to be completely redone yet again; with luck they'll fire the designers they've been using.

With the WK2, we'll see very little done going into 2012, maybe some larger changes coming for 2013- the oft-mentioned transmission, maybe revising the dash to allow for the 740N with the larger display. Then for 2014, there will very likely be again very little done to it.