Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Strange Sound when Braking (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/strange-sound-when-braking-20868.html)

mwb14 03-28-2011 10:53 AM

Strange Sound when Braking

Anyone notice when they come to a complete stop that there is a rubbing noise or something not quite right? I have just over 1K miles on my Jeep and just started to notice it, it only happens when coming to a complete stop, it's going into the dealer tomorrow for some other small issues and I will have them check it out, but was curious if anyone else's jeep made the same noise.

StasVasilkov 03-28-2011 11:02 AM

Re: Strange Sound when Braking

Yea I have the same sound thought it was normal. As if something is rubbing something right? Will be interesting if the dealer thinks it’s normal or not. Keep us posted...

wjs81866 03-28-2011 11:27 AM

My Limited had this issue and there was some grommet or something in the right front wheel that came loose and was rubbing. When I would come to a stop it would make a noise like rubbing (Not grinding or scrapping) they changed the part and that was it. I have no idea why it happened, maybe faulty installation at the factory?

jwojcins 03-28-2011 11:30 AM

I have noticed this as well. As I am braking, right before I come to a complete stop it feels like the brakes have a little oil on them or something (I know thats not the case). I seem to only notice it under relatively heavy braking. But I was planning on mentioning it next time I bring it in for service.

moosehead 03-28-2011 11:47 AM

Like WJS mentioned, there could be an extended piece making the noise, so definitely worth having your dealer check it out.

That said, many early rubbing noises from new brakes will go away once the caliper pistons and brake pads "bed in" after initial usage and perhaps a couple of hard stops.

AAAA 03-28-2011 12:58 PM

Read post. Went to Best Buy and back. Do not have this issue at this time. Limited, built in Feb. 1200 miles.

Bmwister 03-28-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 384438)
That said, many early rubbing noises from new brakes will go away once the caliper pistons and brake pads "bed in" after initial usage and perhaps a couple of hard stops.

^ this.

It's a light brake scrub. Try pressing a bit harder on the brakes when coming to a complete stop and I bet you don't hear it. It's like Moose said. Unless it is not braking well (see the dealer ASAP) then at least once per trip do some extended firm braking from a high speed stretch to help bed everything; whatever you do don't ride them with a light foot.

mwb14 03-28-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwister (Post 384516)
^ this.

It's a light brake scrub. Try pressing a bit harder on the brakes when coming to a complete stop and I bet you don't hear it. It's like Moose said. Unless it is not braking well (see the dealer ASAP) then at least once per trip do some extended firm braking from a high speed stretch to help bed everything; whatever you do don't ride them with a light foot.

I don't think this is it, I should have been more clear. The sound is made right when the vehicle comes to a complete stop, not while it is coming to a stop. It's almost as if the anti lock brake "slips" slightly or something is loose and is continuing to move forward once the vehicle is stopped.

mwb14 03-29-2011 06:56 PM

The dealer said that it is a normal noise, apparently it's the shocks and the rest of the vehicle "resetting itself" Seemed kinda strange, but they did say if it gets any worse to come back.

jgc4ever 03-29-2011 07:00 PM

These dealers make up something new everytime and of course don't fix anything.

JoeSchmoe007 03-29-2011 07:20 PM

Could be spare tire moving in the trunk. I think I hear something similar.

JeepOn 04-07-2011 10:16 PM

I have a similar problem with my Overland with 600 miles on it. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find the cause. When the vehicle comes to a complete stop and weight shifts on the suspension, it sounds like a brief rub like the brake pad is sticking on the rotor. It can be felt though the steering wheel and brake pedal. It sounds like it is coming from the left front wheel. It happens more when the brakes are warm, is not as loud when braking gently, and not as loud when driving in damp weather. It doesn't seem to be related to suspension travel. Heavy braking that causes nose dive and weight transfer while rolling doesn't cause it, just a complete stop with moderate to heavy brake pressure.