Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Which WJ is best to buy used? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/which-wj-is-best-to-buy-used-20874.html)

aspy25 03-28-2011 11:38 AM

Which WJ is best to buy used?

Hi, I'm new here. My dearly beloved 2003 GCL was rear-ended last week while we were on vacation, and is going to be totaled by the insurance company. I want another JGC, and will be buying it with the money I get from insurance, (probably about $9,000). At a loss of which year and what kind of mileage to look at. Are the older WJ's with lower mileage better than the later ones as far as lifespan, or should I look for a newer one with higher mileage?

Chuck 03-28-2011 12:26 PM

Re: Which WJ is best to buy used?

Personally I'd go with an 04 WJ. But to be honest it all depends on how the previous owner maintained and drove the rig. Lower mileage is always nice.

Chaoul1 03-28-2011 01:17 PM

I'd go with an 04' because IMO that's the best year. Look carefully though. Don't get too excited when looking for one. I like the 02's and 03's but I'd go with the newest you can get! You can find nice clean low mileage WJ's for good prices nowadays.

2004wjmedic 03-28-2011 02:09 PM

I have an '04 and love it. The only issue I had was the blend door actuators for the climate control system went out and are quite difficult to replace, other than that it's been great so far.

TJXJWJ 03-28-2011 02:44 PM

04! I'm a little biased though. Most of the bugs were worked out and you can say you own the last all-solid-axle Jeep Grand Cherokee ever made. Not that anyone cares.

Lowest mileage 04 with the most options. Limited or Overland if you can, V8 all the way.

206WJ 03-29-2011 08:56 PM

I wouldn't go older than '02. That's when the newest revisions took place; ie Brake calipers, evap system, and revised High Pressure Power steering line just to name a couple.

I would try to get one that either doesn't have Dual Zone, or has already had the Blend-Doors fixed already.

2004wjmedic 03-29-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 206WJ (Post 385391)
I wouldn't go older than '02. That's when the newest revisions took place; ie Brake calipers, evap system, and revised High Pressure Power steering line just to name a couple.

I would try to get one that either doesn't have Dual Zone, or has already had the Blend-Doors fixed already.

Definitely agree. If they go out and you don't have the tools,time, or know how to replace them your looking at about an $800 mechanic bill.

vicpick58 03-30-2011 07:06 PM

If I could do it over again, I would look for a 2004 Columbia Edition with the 4.7HO engine, Select Trak and veri lok rear axle. They did not have the duel zone HVAC to worry about.

If you look at an Overland be sure to check out the adjustable pedals not only to make sure they work properly but notice that the motor takes up space under the dash where your left foot normally would rest.

Also if you get rain sense wipers, be forewarned that they will not work properly when the windshield accumulates a few cracks and chips.
(was one of my biggest frustrations to date)

Sodelcustoms 03-31-2011 09:15 PM

Personally after owning one for a while I'd look for something with a 4.0. They last forever, are reliable and will get SLIGHTLY better gas mileage than the v8 though anyone that drives a jeep knows that it isn't going to be great anyway. When I fist got my WJ it had over 268k miles on it. Still ran fine when I got it. Mom had wrecked her WJ gave it to me so I switched everything over (Motor, trans, axles, tans. case, etc.). Mine up to current standards of everything that is in it has around 145k on the drive train and about 300k on the body. Still looks great. As long as they are taken care of and you know how to maintain them they will treat you well for a very long time.

aspy25 03-31-2011 09:22 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies. You have helped me a great deal. Dealt with the blendor doors in my dead:((may it rest in peace!) jeep already. PITA!
Looking at 2004 Overland's because they keep coming up cheaper with lower miles than most Limiteds. Don't understand why they are being priced at about 5-6K less than their book value. This has been consistent with many listings, not just one truck. Any ideas? Are there big problems with this SUV?

Chaoul1 03-31-2011 09:24 PM

Where are you looking? Post up some pictures/ads of the WJ you're looking at.

aspy25 03-31-2011 09:32 PM

how do I do that? They are on cars.com in chicago burbs