Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Wheeling in sand (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/wheeling-in-sand-20886.html)

Ken Jacobs 03-28-2011 05:03 PM

Wheeling in sand

It appears that I have two approaches for running in sand. Switch to sand/mud mode or go to 4 WD low range. It I go to 4 WD low range, do I stay in auto? Do I need to turn off ESC? Can I select the highest height?

AAAA 03-29-2011 08:15 AM

Re: Wheeling in sand

I think that setting only works in low range.

the1jake 03-29-2011 10:11 AM

I've used auto and sand/mud modes. Honestly, not much of a difference so far and have had no issues. Then again, I'm not hitting big dunes like our friend from the UAE. (Dunecrawler)

For myself, I wouldn't use low unless I'm trying to trek up a steep incline going a few miles per hour. IMHO, the most important thing is the air pressure in your tires if you're going to be on sand.

I also tried the highest height with the QL. Remember, this is an air suspension system and will feel like it bottoms out if you have any type of speed (even 20mph or so) if you go over a few drop-offs in the sand. (like a beach setting which is primarily where my 4x4 sand experience is from)

esports15 03-29-2011 01:13 PM

What is a good air pressure to run the tires at for sand?

the1jake 03-29-2011 03:17 PM

Anywhere from 20-25psi. I'd like to hear from Dunecrawler and see what he runs over on the big dunes. For myself, it depends on the time of year I'm there and the conditions of the sand. The pics I have are from the Winter and the sand wasn't as loose. (looser sand, lower psi for me) I'm not sure what others opinions are.

One thing though, if you think you're getting stuck, the *worst* thing you can do is gun the engine. You'll dig yourself right down into the sand. I've seen a few big trucks with some huge wheels do that. (pretty funny stuff watching a truck with 38" tires get stuck)

esports15 03-29-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the1jake (Post 385215)
Anywhere from 20-25psi. I'd like to hear from Dunecrawler and see what he runs over on the big dunes. For myself, it depends on the time of year I'm there and the conditions of the sand. The pics I have are from the Winter and the sand wasn't as loose. (looser sand, lower psi for me) I'm not sure what others opinions are.

One thing though, if you think you're getting stuck, the *worst* thing you can do is gun the engine. You'll dig yourself right down into the sand. I've seen a few big trucks with some huge wheels do that. (pretty funny stuff watching a truck with 38" tires get stuck)

Good to know...I will be living in North Carolina in a month or so and plan to visit the outer banks pretty often.

dubwarren 03-29-2011 07:45 PM

I run at 20 psi on sand. Never been close to stuck. I'll be in the obx in early sept. and can't wait to try out my overland.

Marlin 03-29-2011 08:17 PM

I run 18 psi when on my std road wheels and tires, but on my 22's I only go down to 24 psi, for fear of bruising a tire which I've done once when I hit an unseen tree root.

wynnrs 03-29-2011 09:42 PM

"It is very important to lower your vehicle's tire pressure to no more than 12 to 15 pounds per square inch, to avoid getting stuck in the sand." is from the official statement for Edgartown beaches on Martha's Vineyard. Some of the sand on Chappy is very soft but at these low pressures people don't get stuck. They do, at times, at 20.

Marlin 03-29-2011 09:54 PM

I've persoanlly seen tires come off wheels and cause accidents at those quoted very low pressures.
Not for me ;) In fact, I usually remain at street pressures so I can hack it up and use heaps of throttle! :D

dubwarren 03-29-2011 11:00 PM

I was at 20psi with my 08 limited, wonder if a different psi is recommended for 20inch wheels. Maybe 25psi instead of 20? Any thoughts? I def wouldn't go below 18....the signs at obx tell you to drop to 20....do they realize I'm riding on dubs?

Marlin 03-30-2011 07:01 AM

Your factory 20s are running quite a high aspect ratio, so yes, I'd feel comfortable running at 20psi :)