Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Air Suspension Problem - Noise and Not Working (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/air-suspension-problem-noise-and-not-working-20890.html)

boarderman23 03-28-2011 05:46 PM

Air Suspension Problem - Noise and Not Working
 
Has anyone else had an issue with the air suspension? I have about 5600 miles on my 5.7 Overland and just recently started hearing the air suspension discharge sound quite often (use to hear it occasionally, but now it's quite frequent).

I know there's something wrong because I can't raise the jeep past the normal ride height. It will go into park and back to normal, but won't go any higher.

I'll call and schedule an appointment with the dealer tomorrow when they are open, but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced or heard anything about this.

STIX 03-28-2011 07:26 PM

Re: Air Suspension Problem - Noise and Not Working
 
I had this same issue. My svc dept had to open a case with the engineers. Basically I got a Fault code stating "please wait, suspension system cooling down". My QL would not pass OR1 and just blink. Transferring between park and NRH QL was slooooowwww accompanied with excessive pressurization frequency in the tank under the rear seat.

Long of short they reset the module that contols the QL system and it resolved the issue.....but it's back again so I'll be taking it into the dealer later this week for further diag. May need it replaced.

I was given the Star correspondence between the svc dept and engineer and basically the pressures and temps at each of the lift bags were ok, it was really a software issue. It was actually pretty neat to see the level of detail they go through in thier diag...makes me feel better about the svc dept since the guy at the front desk only tells you so much.

Hopefully it's the same case for you. As an aside my OL has 5.5k on it and is an early build.

Hope this helps.

boarderman23 03-28-2011 09:29 PM

Re: Air Suspension Problem - Noise and Not Working
 
Thanks for the post. I'll bring this info to the dealer and that sounds like the exact situation I'm seeing. I'll post what happens.

Did the dealer mention anything about doing damage if using the vehicle before getting it fixed?

STIX 03-29-2011 07:24 PM

Re: Air Suspension Problem - Noise and Not Working
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boarderman23 (Post 384843)
Thanks for the post. I'll bring this info to the dealer and that sounds like the exact situation I'm seeing. I'll post what happens.

Did the dealer mention anything about doing damage if using the vehicle before getting it fixed?

They didn't bring it up but when I drop it off on thursday I'll ask. It sound like we have the same exact issue. Unfortunately I can't find the correspondence otherwise I would have been able to give you more detail. You'll definitely notice the difference when it is fixed....night and day.

Good luck and let's compare notes when you get it back.

boarderman23 03-30-2011 09:50 PM

Re: Air Suspension Problem - Noise and Not Working
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by STIX (Post 385343)
They didn't bring it up but when I drop it off on thursday I'll ask. It sound like we have the same exact issue. Unfortunately I can't find the correspondence otherwise I would have been able to give you more detail. You'll definitely notice the difference when it is fixed....night and day.

Good luck and let's compare notes when you get it back.

Thanks for all the info! Have you continued to drive it while waiting for your appointment?

Ahujadaddy 03-31-2011 04:01 PM

Re: Air Suspension Problem - Noise and Not Working
 
My QL raises and lowers to all modes however it's making a noise from the pass side rear area. At first it was like a air discharge noise "kaaapiisshhhh" but now has more a metallic twang or ping to it. Doesn't sound right.

It's 3 days old, so i'm hoping the dealer wont give me too much of a run around saying this is normal or some bs. I just bought the thing!

Does that description of the noise sound familiar? Any updates?

STIX 03-31-2011 05:58 PM

Re: Air Suspension Problem - Noise and Not Working
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boarderman23 (Post 386312)
Thanks for all the info! Have you continued to drive it while waiting for your appointment?

Yep. No problems driving. I just don't play with the QL. I had to move my appt to Monday so I'll have more info next week.

STIX 03-31-2011 06:03 PM

Re: Air Suspension Problem - Noise and Not Working
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahujadaddy (Post 386796)
My QL raises and lowers to all modes however it's making a noise from the pass side rear area. At first it was like a air discharge noise "kaaapiisshhhh" but now has more a metallic twang or ping to it. Doesn't sound right.

It's 3 days old, so i'm hoping the dealer wont give me too much of a run around saying this is normal or some bs. I just bought the thing!

Does that description of the noise sound familiar? Any updates?

I've heard the discharge sound but I can't comment on the ping. If you have concerns you should bring it in and let the dealer have a look.

one11sgt 04-05-2011 03:25 PM

Re: Air Suspension Problem - Noise and Not Working
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahujadaddy (Post 386796)
My QL raises and lowers to all modes however it's making a noise from the pass side rear area. At first it was like a air discharge noise "kaaapiisshhhh" but now has more a metallic twang or ping to it. Doesn't sound right.

It's 3 days old, so i'm hoping the dealer wont give me too much of a run around saying this is normal or some bs. I just bought the thing!

Does that description of the noise sound familiar? Any updates?

I have the same exact noise and I cannot stand it. Dealer seems to think its the air going in and out of the tank at a rapid pace during constant adjustments. Going in for service next week. This only happens for me over 60mph when the QL goes into aerodynamic mode. How about you?

boarderman23 04-05-2011 04:04 PM

Re: Air Suspension Problem - Noise and Not Working
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by one11sgt (Post 390066)
I have the same exact noise and I cannot stand it. Dealer seems to think its the air going in and out of the tank at a rapid pace during constant adjustments. Going in for service next week. This only happens for me over 60mph when the QL goes into aerodynamic mode. How about you?

I'm not sure, but I think that "exhale" noise is normal for the air suspension models (especially when it's lowering since it's releasing air). Since mine has been acting up, I've been hearing it constantly at all different speeds. I also read in a magazine something about the suspension making noise, so I'd assume it's normal to do it a little bit.

boarderman23 04-05-2011 04:08 PM

Re: Air Suspension Problem - Noise and Not Working
 
Had mine serviced today and I thought it was taken care of when I got in the jeep as the suspension was raised to off road level 1 (couldn't raise past the normal ride height prior to this)...So I drove home.

I decided to test it fully when I got home and started getting an error message that the suspension is overheated, and to wait while it cools down. So I waited and restarted the jeep and same thing...also it would not raise past off road level 1. I called the dealer and they said they would look into and and get back to me tomorrow. I'll post an update when I hear anything.

one11sgt 04-05-2011 04:15 PM

Re: Air Suspension Problem - Noise and Not Working
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boarderman23 (Post 390089)
I'm not sure, but I think that "exhale" noise is normal for the air suspension models (especially when it's lowering since it's releasing air). Since mine has been acting up, I've been hearing it constantly at all different speeds. I also read in a magazine something about the suspension making noise, so I'd assume it's normal to do it a little bit.

Im sure the exhale noise is normal and that only happen once in a while. The pinging noise (which kind of sounds like an exhaust cooling when you stop the engine) is a constant irregular noise that doesnt stop over 60mph.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community