Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Tranny Shifts Hard Into Drive After Going In Reverse (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/tranny-shifts-hard-into-drive-after-going-in-reverse-20900.html)

RamboTambo 03-28-2011 07:43 PM

Tranny Shifts Hard Into Drive After Going In Reverse

Hey all, I'm new to the site and a new owner of an 05 GC Limited w/ the 5.7

I have been having the issue described in the title...

When I go in reverse, come to a complete stop (I never let it roll and throw it into drive), and shift into drive my Jeep kicks hard. It doesn't do it all the time and there is not a pattern to it happening. The dealer had said it was not an issue (since its under warranty). I will be taking it back to them before the warranty is up because I don't think its normal. What do you guys think?

Thanks

-Dave

boss_hemi 03-29-2011 05:59 AM

Re: Tranny Shifts Hard Into Drive After Going In Reverse

mine did it too. check your tranny fluid. also a common issue with the 5.7 hemi is the crankshaft position sensor but im not sure if this is caused from that..

chance 03-29-2011 01:58 PM

I had a similar problem, check to see if you can use the manual shift to go from 1 to 2 to 3 and so on.

Report back!

Ngreen 03-29-2011 02:28 PM

Im having the same problems, from reading other posts ive come to realize that it can be a few things, one: my fluid is low or needs to be flushed and have clean fluids put in. Two: the sensors in your shifting bezel are dirty or going out, ive looked more into that and as crazy as it seems that can cause things to shift differently. mine shifts hard from R to D. and if i dont let my tranny fully engage sometimes it gets stuck into 3rd gear. i have to put it back in park, turn it off and start over. then it goes back to normal. i havent done the tranny fluid change yet but i will be with-in a week or two. ill make sure to keep you posted to see if it cures any of these problems

kkuty 03-31-2011 08:45 PM

I've seen this before. It was either front diff mounts or transfer case mounts. Can't remember which.

blackpepper 03-31-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkuty (Post 386982)
I've seen this before. It was either front diff mounts or transfer case mounts. Can't remember which.

Front differential bushing. I had mine replaced after the 3/36 warranty, NOT covered under the added care plus warranty :(

lll2for3lll 03-31-2011 08:56 PM

Never ever ever flush the transmission. This has been stated by Chrylser. You can cause more harm when flushing.

Only drain and refill.

Flushing is only required when something goes bad in your transmission like dirt or debris for whatever reason.

RamboTambo 03-31-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackpepper (Post 386985)
Front differential bushing. I had mine replaced after the 3/36 warranty, NOT covered under the added care plus warranty :(

How much did that front differential bushing run you?

The manual shift works great from 4-3 and 3-4 but I will have to check the lower gears. I have to bring it back into the dealership because its still under warranty and my park assist is not working (still after I told them to fix it) so I will have them check those problems too when I get a chance to bring it in.

I am going to take a look at it all tomorrow and see whats up and report back.

Thanks for the input everyone

blackpepper 03-31-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamboTambo (Post 387033)
How much did that front differential bushing run you?

$30

But the labor cost close to $400

RamboTambo 05-12-2011 10:50 AM

Dealership said there is a TSB for this problem. Said it was a few things that needed to be changed within the transmission and was covered by warranty. Got away with only paying a co-pay for all of the work. Seems to work like new again.

SHIBBY :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help everyone,
-Dave

thex2 05-12-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamboTambo (Post 413653)
Dealership said there is a TSB for this problem. Said it was a few things that needed to be changed within the transmission and was covered by warranty. Got away with only paying a co-pay for all of the work. Seems to work like new again.

SHIBBY :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help everyone,
-Dave

What was the TSB # or what work was performed to fix the problem?

4.whoa 05-12-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackpepper (Post 387055)
$30

But the labor cost close to $400

Did you just have the bad one done or both (pressed ones)for that labor? I'm about to get this done hopefully next week.
Thx