Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Exhaust installation help (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/exhaust-installation-help-20991.html)

z06vette 03-29-2011 09:07 PM

Exhaust installation help

I have an Overland with the Hemi and I couldn't take how quiet it was. I have had Borla exhausts on other vehicles and really liked the sound so I ordered one. Mine arrived and we started installing it tonight thinking bolt on this should be easy. Everything was going fine with removing the factory exhaust until we got to the rear hangers. There are 2 one is very easy to get at and the other is hidden behind the muffler. We ran out of time so had to put the factory exhaust back on. Anybody know how to get access to the rear hanger? The only good thing was hearing the Hemi run without the exhaust.

moosehead 03-29-2011 09:29 PM

Re: Exhaust installation help

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06vette (Post 385403)
I have an Overland with the Hemi and I couldn't take how quiet it was. I have had Borla exhausts on other vehicles and really liked the sound so I ordered one. Mine arrived and we started installing it tonight thinking bolt on this should be easy. Everything was going fine with removing the factory exhaust until we got to the rear hangers. There are 2 one is very easy to get at and the other is hidden behind the muffler. We ran out of time so had to put the factory exhaust back on. Anybody know how to get access to the rear hanger? The only good thing was hearing the Hemi run without the exhaust.

First, +1 to "couldn't take the quiet commentary", and +2 to Borla.

Second, wish I could offer more technical answers to your hangar question, but Borla installed my WK2 proto. I'm happy to crawl under my rig and have a look with a camera if you'll tell me in a PM which pipe/muffler you're talking about.

Suggest calling Borla and ask for Chris Higgins 805-246-6000. He's the man, and will either help you directly, or refer you to his wrenches on the floor. I understand that you're wanting to do this now, after hours.

z06vette 03-29-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 385420)
First, +1 to "couldn't take the quiet commentary", and +2 to Borla.

Second, wish I could offer more technical answers to your hangar question, but Borla installed my WK2 proto. I'm happy to crawl under my rig and have a look with a camera if you'll tell me in a PM which pipe/muffler you're talking about.

Suggest calling Borla and ask for Chris Higgins 805-246-6000. He's the man, and will either help you directly, or refer you to his wrenches on the floor. I understand that you're wanting to do this now, after hours.

Thanks for the quick reply was going to give Borla a call tomorrow I ran out of time tonight to work on it.

J13ntv 04-07-2011 05:35 PM

For future reference as I know you have it installed now.. How did you access the rear hanger you spoke of?

z06vette 04-07-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J13ntv (Post 391542)
For future reference as I know you have it installed now.. How did you access the rear hanger you spoke of?

We ended up going through the reflectors in the bumper. They pop out and give you pretty good access to the hanger to pry the mufflers off. It also looks like there was a clamp holding the mufflers on to the pipes coming from the cat that would have allowed us to do this easier. We did this on our backs so having it up on a lift would also have made it easier. We didn't see the clamps until after we had it out from under the vehicle. The only other problem we had was there are 4 bolts that hold the x pipe to the exhaust from the motor. They are pressed into the flange on the cat side of the factory exhaust so when you pull it off you have to pop them out. I didn't get any instructions from Borla so we put it back together the way it came off but the holes in the flange on the Borla side are larger making it very hard to tighten the bolts. I talked with Borla and they have you turn them around. That was the only real hard part of the install. There are 2 bolts and 3 hangers on each side. There is also a ground strap on the passenger side muffler you need to make sure to disconnect. Hope that helps I do have a few pictures if anyone is interested. Borla did say they are working on install instructions that would have made this a little easier. They were very quick to answer my questions and I am very pleased with what I got.