Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Technical Tips/DIY/How-To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/)
-   -   help with fogs! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/help-with-fogs-21027.html)

wkthursty 03-30-2011 04:44 PM

help with fogs!

So i have an 05 GC laredo that has never had fog lights in it before. I purchased some halo projector fog lights from kbcarstuff.com and i noticed there was no wiring harness (extra wiring harness) with my order. Curious to know if my laredo came with a wiring harness equiped from manufacturer. what else would i need to do in order to get these installed??

vstone 03-30-2011 04:53 PM

Re: help with fogs!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkthursty (Post 386068)
So i have an 05 GC laredo that has never had fog lights in it before. I purchased some halo projector fog lights from kbcarstuff.com and i noticed there was no wiring harness (extra wiring harness) with my order. Curious to know if my laredo came with a wiring harness equiped from manufacturer. what else would i need to do in order to get these installed??

My 08 wk had pre-installed harness, in order to use factory harness i would have had to buy a mopar kit with new switch inside cab relay and fog lights them selves..

I knew I wanted to do HID's and My wk at-least to run HID's requires a relay harness. So what I did was just ordered aftermarket fogs and a relay harness and a slim ballast hid kit, I tapped into the parking lights constant and ground to my relay harness so that they kick on when parking lights are activated.. I do not have the option to not run the fogs but thats okay with me other then spending 200 on factory fog light kit..

So This is a viable option for you also if you do not have a pre installed harness on your jeep. I bought a new relay harness on ebay for 7 dollars.. Only other thing you will need is a female 9006 connector and some splice connectors and about 30 min of free time..

wkthursty 03-30-2011 05:03 PM

just noticed that those female 9006 connectors are there by each fog light housing. i did not think that these were HID's. so would i take the splice connectors and take them to my battery and then run them to eachother and connect a ground wire??

vstone 03-30-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkthursty (Post 386080)
just noticed that those female 9006 connectors are there by each fog light housing. i did not think that these were HID's. so would i take the splice connectors and take them to my battery and then run them to eachother and connect a ground wire??

I didnt say yours were HID's I said mine are. I was just saying unless you want to buy a oem fog kit you cant really use the existing wires anyway..

The relay harness is simple power ground and their is a female 9006 connecter that activates the lights.. There fore you need a male connecter to splice into your parking lights to turn them on..

Scottina06 03-30-2011 07:07 PM

all you need is the oem headlight/fog stalk, the $13 relay, 20 amp fuse, fog housings and a dealer to activate the lamps via starscan.

vstone 03-30-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 386174)
all you need is the oem headlight/fog stalk, the $13 relay, 20 amp fuse, fog housings and a dealer to activate the lamps via starscan.

That kit is $198 from Mopar, plus $54 for the startscan tool activation. I was trying to give him a cheaper route. But to each their own.

wkthursty 03-31-2011 02:37 PM

this has just become a bigger pain than i wanted. might back down and sell.

eortizr 03-31-2011 03:45 PM

you do not need to spend $198 on the mopar kit, I did mine for less $120 including the Starscan activation.

You just need to buy the relay # 4671168e, look for it on ebay is like $5.00 including shipping and the OEM headlight/fog stalk is $56 on J4J, just in case buy a 20amp fuse, but mine was already there. plug your female connectors to your new fogs, install the stalk and take it to the dealership to activate the Fogs. The dealer will try to bill you 100+, just ask to speak to the manager and explain that is a 5 minute job and they will go down to $57 or so.

the OEM stalk installation takes like 5 minutes and is extremely easy to do.

here are the installation instructions and even the starscan menu the dealership tech has to go.

http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82209354.pdf

wkjeepgirl86 03-31-2011 03:47 PM

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/fog-lights-on-with-highs-20121.html

This is what i did. it will work for you two you just wont have control of your fogs because they will always be on with the low beams

wkthursty 04-01-2011 05:52 PM

i get the plug in with the male plug but what about the red and black wires attached to these?? couldnt i go to autozone and have them flash my pcm?

vstone 04-01-2011 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkthursty (Post 387584)
i get the plug in with the male plug but what about the red and black wires attached to these?? couldnt i go to autozone and have them flash my pcm?

The wires Im guessing you are talking about are for your Halos since they are led fogs they are probably halos you will want to probably run them with your parking lights and then have the fogs controlled with the headlights. Or leave em unused, I think halos are retarded only a few that ppl have done right on their headlights look right.. just my 2cents.

robpp 04-02-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkthursty (Post 387584)

no; only the dealer can do the computer stuff with starscan or the new witec tool.