Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Newbie-grille question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/newbie-grille-question-21056.html)

DanD2124 03-31-2011 07:41 AM

Newbie-grille question

Hello all I'm a newbie to this forum and love the info I'm reading.
I have a 2008 grand Cherokee limited 5.7... I purchased an overland grille to swap out mine. I wanted some opinions if I should leave the diamond mesh black or if I should paint it chrome. If I do paint it chrome to match the over laying chrome have people had good luck with it coming out looking good? Or does it look cheap and cheesy painted? Also if anyone has painted it chrome have they had good luck with the paint staying on and not chipping off?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

DAVY27 03-31-2011 08:13 AM

Re: Newbie-grille question

leave it as it is. The problem i think with painting it chrome is the way it comes out. it doesnt really have that chrome look, more like a platinum/silver as time passes. What type of paint are you planning to use if you decide to do so?

DanD2124 03-31-2011 08:35 AM

I wasn't too sure yet maybe one of the Rust-Oleum or I thought I saw a durable Dupont spray. The other thought I had was taking it to a body shop of a guy I know and see what he could do.

RamboTambo 03-31-2011 09:33 AM

What color is your WK?
Are there any other chrome accents on the car?

IMO, the contrast of the black behind the chrome will look better since the chrome grille becomes an accent rather than a huge chunk of chrome up front. Chrome needs to be done subtly because...well its chrome and its shiny and bright and stands out on its own a lot. I'm only picturing it in my head and that's what I am seeing. Just my 2 cents.

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-31-2011 11:26 AM

leave it black

DanD2124 03-31-2011 12:47 PM

Mine is white. The only other chrome pieces are the chrome trim on the doors and chrome trim piece on the bumper. Oh and the factory chrome type 18' wheels.

08limited 03-31-2011 04:45 PM

i have red rock crystal on my 08 limited and im looking into getting the overland insert,i wanted to do it chrome also but i wanted to do the top insertb ss insert chrome but i think it would be to much i was thinking stainless or brushed,if you were looking into chrome type in chrome plating companies there were a bunch of them and many ways to do it,do your research and compare prices

moparBG 03-31-2011 04:55 PM

Can you chrome plate plastic? That would probably best if you are hellbent on chrome. Either way, the fact that you are looking to go a custom route is awesome! Keep that up

08limited 03-31-2011 10:53 PM

ya this place in cali said they could chrome anything for the right $,i have the chrome 18" and one was a little hazy they could do it but shipping was to much since im in mass, 200$ to do the wheel though not bad

DanD2124 04-01-2011 07:20 AM

I think I might leave it black for now. as I get more into doing different custom pieces I might change my mind. Thanks everyone.

DanD2124 04-03-2011 07:58 PM

I installed the new grille and love it! Looks soo much better with the Overland mesh. I will be leaving it black. I think if I did paint it, it would look cheesy. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!!