Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Jeep drinking antifreeze like crazy (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/jeep-drinking-antifreeze-like-crazy-21093.html)

ChrisWk 03-31-2011 08:02 PM

Jeep drinking antifreeze like crazy

Hello all,

I got a 2005 5.7l Limited WK. I just had my water pump replaced under my power tran warranty it was leaking. I have been check coolant levels for weeks it keeps going down. So last weekend I filled the resovor up to full line and check it tonight and it is at the low level. Ive got zero leaks so where is all this coolant going? My engine temps are all normal. Also, how do you check the power steering fluid when it is hot or cold, I checked it cold and I got zero fluid on the stick. It looked dark and cloudy looking how do you drain it .

ChrisWK

Walt 03-31-2011 08:34 PM

Re: Jeep drinking antifreeze like crazy

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWk (Post 386958)
Hello all,

I got a 2005 5.7l Limited WK. I just had my water pump replaced under my power tran warranty it was leaking. I have been check coolant levels for weeks it keeps going down. So last weekend I filled the resovor up to full line and check it tonight and it is at the low level. Ive got zero leaks so where is all this coolant going? My engine temps are all normal. Also, how do you check the power steering fluid when it is hot or cold, I checked it cold and I got zero fluid on the stick. It looked dark and cloudy looking how do you drain it .

ChrisWK

1. Pressure test radiator cap for 18 psig. It can leak by and evaporate coolant without apparent leak point. With a borrowed (or rented) pressure tester, you can do the cooling system & radiator cap at the same time.

2. Check power steering fluid either way. Dipstick should be marked with 2 lines: Hot & Cold. Fluid level should correspond to fluid temp. No indicated level indicates immediate attention is required. At least get to bottom of "cold" when the fluid is hot until you can drain the system and refill with new. Refill procedure involves some fill, turn side-to-side and re-check until air is out and level stabilizes. Some model years use a vacuum withdrawal method for entrained air. Maybe a '05 member has a FSM with specific procedure for you. I only have '08 FSM.

ChrisWk 03-31-2011 08:46 PM

Thanks Walt I will look into the pressure test. Could a bad tstat give pressure problems ? I changed the radiator cap to a 18 psi stant couple months before. The oem one it was spraying coolant. Then I replaced the water pump because it was leaking . The tstat I installed was a jet 180 should I go back to the stock 203.

ChrisWK

vstone 03-31-2011 09:13 PM

Heatercore. Check your oil also if you have Coolant in oil you have bad head gasket.

ChrisWk 03-31-2011 09:16 PM

I just chaned the oil two wek ago it was dark old looking. What to look at for the heater core.

Chaoul1 03-31-2011 09:22 PM

No leaks underneath the Jeep (Puddles of Coolant). Maybe your resevoir hose is unclamped?

^^^It was said above, check your Heater Core ASAP!

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-31-2011 09:40 PM

blown radiator?

ChrisWk 03-31-2011 09:42 PM

No leaks on the ground, Where is the heater core location and where are the hose to it.

Chris

Chaoul1 03-31-2011 09:56 PM

Heater core is in the dash, but look where your front passenger side floor mat is and see and feel if there is liquid or if it's damp there.

Donnyg 03-31-2011 10:45 PM

if the heater core was blown you should be able to smell coolant inside the car. If it doesn't then check the whole engine bay for a white/pink-ish colored flakes. Especially the tube that goes to the bottom of the resevoir.

ChrisWk 03-31-2011 10:48 PM

I just check the passenger side dry as a bone.Earlier this evening before doing searching I ran the heater at full high heat it was very hot so the heater core must be working. I looked all over the engine no signs of leaks around the resovor bottle. I am going to do the pressure test next.

Chris

Chaoul1 03-31-2011 10:50 PM

Check back with us! :thumbsup: GL!