Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Headliner Rattle.... Who Else is Experiencing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/headliner-rattle-who-else-is-experiencing-21106.html)

HemiPowerV8 04-01-2011 06:20 AM

Headliner Rattle.... Who Else is Experiencing

I have been trying to pin point a rattling sound that comes to life everytime I drive over uneven or bumpy pavement.

Finally yesterday I realized it was coming from the headliner in and around the sunroof and DVD (flip down screen).

I needed only to place my hand onto the headliner directly above my head (while sitting in the drivers seat) and apply a little pressure to make the rattling stop.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm reaching out to the dealership to see what can be done to resolve this annoying matter.

wjs81866 04-01-2011 07:55 AM

Re: Headliner Rattle.... Who Else is Experiencing

Mine was rattling until I realized it was my sunglasses in the overhead bin

jwojcins 04-01-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjs81866 (Post 387198)
Mine was rattling until I realized it was my sunglasses in the overhead bin

ditto.

HemiPowerV8 04-01-2011 12:34 PM

Yep, no sunglasses here, just this crazy rattle.

jwojcins 04-01-2011 01:13 PM

out of curiosity, do you have a sunroof and/or rear dvd, or the panoramic roof?

Nouveau Redneck 04-01-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwojcins (Post 387413)
out of curiosity, do you have a sunroof and/or rear dvd, or the panoramic roof?

From the original post:

Quote:

Finally yesterday I realized it was coming from the headliner in and around the sunroof and DVD (flip down screen).

blackpepper 04-01-2011 02:06 PM

JEEP

Just
Expect
Enormous
Pestering

When my headliner was rattling in the WK it was a loose SAT wire.

Hayes1817 04-01-2011 02:51 PM

My sunroof (panorama) had a tiny rattle in the first 500 miles of driving, it turned out it was a cross threaded screw - the dealer fixed it right away. No issues since.

moosehead 04-01-2011 03:02 PM

No rattles here with DVD setup. Of course, maybe I just can't hear 'em over the music and exhaust pipes blaring.

acjr 04-01-2011 06:06 PM

I experienced same thing, near overhead DVD. took 2 trips to dealer but now fixed. was driving me crazy.

1) placed thicker style Velcro soft side, around sunroof/anywhere that i pushed up on headliner that recreated noise. this helped but still rattle towards center of roof where could not get to => 2) they removed headliner and discovered screw was not installed on some sort of crossbar they said must of missed on assembly line?

I have driven vehicle last 2 days and no sounds. This was my only complaint with vehicle and now completely satisfied.

HemiPowerV8 04-02-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acjr (Post 387593)
I experienced same thing, near overhead DVD. took 2 trips to dealer but now fixed. was driving me crazy.

1) placed thicker style Velcro soft side, around sunroof/anywhere that i pushed up on headliner that recreated noise. this helped but still rattle towards center of roof where could not get to => 2) they removed headliner and discovered screw was not installed on some sort of crossbar they said must of missed on assembly line?

I have driven vehicle last 2 days and no sounds. This was my only complaint with vehicle and now completely satisfied.

ACJR... thanks for this. I am in the process of scheduling an appt. I can recreate the noise I hear just by tapping on the headliner (the entire area that bulges down to accommodate the sunroof/DVD flip down screen). Stay tuned.

acjr 04-02-2011 09:07 AM

sounds like same thing I went through. I would recommend adding the industrial style Velcro even if the missing screw turns out to be issue, as the area around the sunroof when I pushed up would make noise. I believe the plastic on headliner hitting the metal tracking above, pretty narrow, but can squeeze the good style Velcro in between a few areas on outer area of sunroof and out of site easily. I'm sure it will be fixed, hopefully only takes you one trip...