Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Steering column hum/drone/moan

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ianitrix 
#1 ·
In case it's relevant- V6 with electric power steering pump.

I hear this weird hum/drone/moan when driving, coming from in front of the driver, seemingly through the steering column. It occurs whenever this car is moving. It's loudest right at 64 mph, and also when coasting from 40 mph down to about 20 mph.

It does not seem to occur just when turning the steering wheel. It does seem to get more pronounced on rough pavement, but it does _not_ change frequency with speed.

My tires were inflated 42psi on delivery. I thought releasing air down to 36 psi may correct it. It didn't, though it may have gotten quieter.

I can even hear it when music is playing because my ears have become attuned to it. I can even feel it slightly in the steering wheel.

I noticed it about 5 minutes after picking up the vehicle, when it was brand new. The car has 850 miles on it.

It's around this tone, 250hz:
http://www.eminent-tech.com/music/250hztone.wav

I took it to the dealer for the PCM update, and the tech wrote that he couldn't reproduce. So I took him for a ride. He did admit he could feel something, at 64 mph, but he thought it was just tire noise.

It just seems took loud to be tire noise. And it doesn't change frequency with speed. I should have asked to drive another vehicle to see if it exhibited the same issue.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.