Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   So much for a stock run for comparison! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/so-much-for-a-stock-run-for-comparison-2121.html)

Cyanide 08-17-2009 03:41 PM

So much for a stock run for comparison!

Well, as the title implies, I won't be able to hit the track to see what my stock '98 ZJ 'Niner runs.....

Yesterday was driving along the interstate and my transmission slipped from "D" to "2" at 70 mph (should've taken care of that recall I just found out about concerning the gear shift detent!) :eek: Temp shot up to 260 and she shut off, leaving me to coast to the shoulder. Oil and tranny fluid were reading good from the dipsticks, but almost a gallon of coolant blew out the resevoir from it boiling over. No leaks or blown seals evident upon examining the underside of the engine, oil pan, x-fer case, tranny, etc. Got it cooled back down to 170 and had refilled the coolant and attempted to restart. OUCH...I haven't heard a noise like that since the crankshaft went in my semi truck a couple years ago. Long story short, I towed it back home and again examined underneath with the same results.

So now I have to replace the engine. Yes, replace. And since I already had plans to mod my current one extensively (all N.A. of course), I figure I'll just go ahead and do this right, and from the ground up with a new 5.9L engine (provided mine is un-salvageable). Have an engine shop back home that is owned by a gentleman who has roughly close to 44 years experience building engines of all types. So, I'll be able to keep my old 5.9 warrior (The Original lol) and better yet, when he's done with the build should be around 300 whp, all naturally aspirated, and that's before an SCT tune! Hell yeah!!!

:thumbsup:

Now to save up that money...... :lol:

Scottina06 08-17-2009 03:51 PM

Re: So much for a stock run for comparison!

ouch......sorry bro

Martyp 08-17-2009 03:57 PM

Ouch, sorry to hear that man! :(

Is the transmission OK or has that sustained some damage too?

Sounds like you're looking on the bright side with the new or rebuilt engine though. Hope she's back out there tearing the streets up again soon!

mzh29 08-17-2009 04:48 PM

Man that sucks
Man that's awsome

Cyanide 08-17-2009 04:56 PM

Thanks! Tranny seems fine, still locks in gear good (but will definitely get worked on to correct slippage issue for future). Yep now that I can't drive it no need to mope around and be down in the dumps. Perfect time to get my build done, now that I have the incentive to save every last available $$$ since I cannot drive it until fixed!

;)

sousa 08-17-2009 05:07 PM

I would hope you can squeeze more than 300hp out of a 5.9. I'm sure a nice cam and having the heads ported properly will net a lot more than that. Also get the intake Extrude Honed. I think 300 is a good starting point, not an ending point.

Cyanide 08-17-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sousa (Post 48570)
I would hope you can squeeze more than 300hp out of a 5.9. I'm sure a nice cam and having the heads ported properly will net a lot more than that. Also get the intake Extrude Honed. I think 300 is a good starting point, not an ending point.

Yep, that's already part of the build-to-be! Also, remember, I'm talking actual 300 WHP, not BHP. Meaning I'm going to be in the 400 BHP neighborhood. Hey, if my budget allows for more w/o going F.A. I'm all for it!!! :thumbsup:

Dylans3960ccs 08-17-2009 05:40 PM

Oh that sounded painful, well at least you have a 5-speed 3 cyl metro to pootle around in :D

scjeep4.7HO 08-17-2009 08:40 PM

What did the engine rev too? Any idea

Cyanide 08-17-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scjeep4.7HO (Post 48684)
What did the engine rev too? Any idea

Richie, I saw 4,500 rpm.....

Megatron 08-18-2009 08:01 AM

It's a sign from GOD! haha

Good luck bro

BUBBADOG 08-18-2009 10:01 AM

I got 380HP at the crank on mine and 315.6HP in AWD to the rear...thats eddy ported heads KRC 210x cam etc....If u need ANY help with what set-up would work best or numbers just ask!! Very sorry to hear that the 5.9 is SICK !! Also if u need tranny work dont i know the best man around for our trucks!! Martin Sane