Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   relay harness question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/relay-harness-question-21313.html)

tri0829 04-05-2011 10:54 AM

relay harness question

What is the point of the resistors on these, it says they stop flickering but is it necessary. I need to buy relay harnesses since i jut bought the 08+ hids and i want to hook them in. I had a similar relay hooked up awhile ago when i tried to hids the first time with the crappy aftermarket headlights with the halo rings and the resistors on it would get so hot that it started to melt the plasitic in the engine compartment so i took out the hids. dont want to make the same mistake twice when i install the new ones....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9006-...Q5fAccessories

SRTILL8 04-05-2011 11:00 AM

Re: relay harness question

well you need them in order for them to work so i would suggest Steve from xenondepot (vendor here as well) shoot him a PM and explain your concerns, im sure he'll be happy to assist you and his products are always quality. i believe theres also a discount because you are a member here already. i have two sets of his products on my jeep and almost 2 yrs now with no problems. the ebay cheap deals are sometimes just that..cheap deals..

gl though.

robpp 04-05-2011 11:01 AM

you dont need that resistor for the jeeps.

you just need a PLAIN ole relay harness for a 9006.

SRTILL8 04-05-2011 11:14 AM

just to reiterate since i cant read well these days (thanks rob- lol)

i was referring to the harnesses. i have two of them and you need to to work. id still PM steve and ask him for his price.

gl

robpp 04-05-2011 11:20 AM

i agree on contacting Xenon Depot. Steve would make it easy.

lll2for3lll 04-05-2011 11:24 AM

Or you can choose not to use a relay like me for the past 5 years. I wouldn't suggest it though. I'm ordering Xenon Depot soon.

tri0829 04-05-2011 04:28 PM

alright thanks ill contact him then

White Chocolate 04-05-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lll2for3lll (Post 389874)
Or you can choose not to use a relay like me for the past 5 years. I wouldn't suggest it though. I'm ordering Xenon Depot soon.

Your HIDS on your low beams have been working without a relay? Impossible.

They must flicker like a bitchhhhhhh

DanD2124 04-07-2011 06:38 PM

If you add a relay does that disable the feature of the headlights staying on after the car turns off?

lll2for3lll 04-07-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Chocolate (Post 390229)
Your HIDS on your low beams have been working without a relay? Impossible.

They must flicker like a bitchhhhhhh

Nope. They don't flicker at all. They just won't turn on if I turn them of while the WK is on. Lol. I've been dealing with this for the a little longer than 5 years. All I ha to do was reverse the polarity for them to work.

This was when I was experimenting on my own without the help of the internet. This was around when the WK was first released.

It was a headache at first but I got use to it. Xenon Depot is definitely my next investment. Please do not use HIDs in the WK without a double relay harness.

kkuty 04-07-2011 07:05 PM

I installed an HID kit in my 06 Laredo. They always flickered, with and without the relay kit. I returned them but the manufacturer told me is that the power source for the 50watt halogens gets so hot that the HIDs would flicker due to residual voltage.

I thought it was a load...but who knows.

lll2for3lll 04-07-2011 07:17 PM

You must have used a cheap/bad batch kit. My first kit flickered. Ordered the same kit from the same company and those never flickered.