Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   How quick is your N/A 5.7 ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/how-quick-is-your-n-a-5-7-a-21332.html)

4.whoa 04-05-2011 05:38 PM

How quick is your N/A 5.7 ?

I was just wondering what to expect when I take my all-but stock 5.7 to the track, and what you all are running, what mods(performance) you've done and how they've helped.....or not :worried: I dont have any times of my own yet,cuz i need to get my frt axle mounting bushings replaced 1st.

QBNKID 04-05-2011 06:05 PM

Re: How quick is your N/A 5.7 ?

From experience with the '05 5.7L I had, I can tell you that they run low 15s bone stock. Mt best bone stock with 2K miles on it I ran 15.2. After AIRAID CAI, muffler swap for a Magnaflow and a tune, it ran a best of 14.3.
Back then there was no CMR tunes, now you have that plus a larger selection of CAIs like the Bwoody that might help you get into the 13s.

jeepgcoman 04-05-2011 08:52 PM

Wherever you race, find out the temperature, humidity and dew point so you can figure the density altitude (DA) at race time. I see you're probably near sea level, but your DA might be higher or lower, depending on weather conditions. The track I race at is at about 3000 ft., but the DA is seldom less than ~4500 ft. I went once last year when mine was modded similar to Obnkid's, and the DA was almost 6000 ft. My best run was 15.4, 89 mph. I'll be going at the end of the month with more mods., so I am hoping to do quite a bit better. There are formulas and tables on some web sites that allow you to figure the corrections to sea level, so you get a more accurate idea of performance. Where I am at, it's sometimes .5-.9 seconds slower than the guys at sea level, plus it's almost always windy to some extent here. Have fun, you'll love it.

4.whoa 04-06-2011 06:31 PM

Yeah,drag racing is a blast, I just haven't been in about 2 years :mad:

Jeepgcoman, look'n over your mods/sig I'd bet you run 13's easy :thumbsup:

With these CMR tunes, do you get the tuner from them, or can you get one and have them tune it?

edit: just saw the answer in another thread

Chaoul1 04-06-2011 08:49 PM

You would have to purchase a Diablo Tuner or a Trinity Tuner in order to data to download a CMR Tune into your PCM.

jeepgcoman 04-06-2011 09:06 PM

I am sure it'll take a little more modding to hit the 13's with a DA of 4500 or more. I'll be happy to get below 14.5 at this altitude. That would be almost a second better than my slightly modded runs last year. My Hemi LX runs in the very high 13's, and it still feels quite a bit faster than the WK, even though they are modded exactly the same now. Only big differences now are aerodynamics and the WK is about 600 lbs. heavier than the LX. The best way for us to gauge performance is when we race vehicles that are suppose to run "so and so" at sea level and you beat them or they beat you, and by how much. With my LX I can beat completely stock LX SRT-8's, but only if I can get a hole shot on them. They'll only get me on the bottom end. I can stay with them on the mid and top.

You need the DS tuner first, and then you have to find a local DS certified place to do the CMR tune. I've heard that it usually runs $300+. I also understand that Johan at DS will do limited tuning setups for lightly modified motors. I don't think the CMR tune would be worth the $$$ on a vehicle that does not have at least cam, heads, exhaust (to include headers), and intake.

blackpepper 04-06-2011 10:25 PM

Here's my most recent adventure at the track: http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=21067

Mods are in my sig.

4.whoa 04-10-2011 12:54 PM

from what I can find, the main difference between the preditor & trinity are the trinity has gauges - is that right? can you tune the same things with both , or does one have more options?

Chaoul1 04-10-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 391067)
I am sure it'll take a little more modding to hit the 13's with a DA of 4500 or more. I'll be happy to get below 14.5 at this altitude. That would be almost a second better than my slightly modded runs last year. My Hemi LX runs in the very high 13's, and it still feels quite a bit faster than the WK, even though they are modded exactly the same now. Only big differences now are aerodynamics and the WK is about 600 lbs. heavier than the LX. The best way for us to gauge performance is when we race vehicles that are suppose to run "so and so" at sea level and you beat them or they beat you, and by how much. With my LX I can beat completely stock LX SRT-8's, but only if I can get a hole shot on them. They'll only get me on the bottom end. I can stay with them on the mid and top.

You need the DS tuner first, and then you have to find a local DS certified place to do the CMR tune. I've heard that it usually runs $300+. I also understand that Johan at DS will do limited tuning setups for lightly modified motors. I don't think the CMR tune would be worth the $$$ on a vehicle that does not have at least cam, heads, exhaust (to include headers), and intake.

You don't have to go to a Certified Place. You can Data Log, then email it to Johan, Hemituner or any of the other peeps and they can make a CMR Tune, then email it back and download it into your Diablo Sport or Trinity and upload it into your PCM!

jeepgcoman 04-10-2011 09:58 PM

Really? I didn't know that. I appreciate the info. What does that cost? Are all his adjustments made based on your data logging results? At what point in the mod. process is this recommended.....after exhaust and intake; after cam and heads (I would think); after all of the above?

Reason I ask is I am on the fence for my "nearly last mods" of either advancing the stock cam (~$175) 4 degrees (better low end) or putting in a new cam/springs/pushrods (~$650), and maybe milling the heads (~$?). For sure, I'd think I should have something done then. I am starting to gather info. and prices for the various options and trying to figure out which would be the most bang for the buck.

Robert Palmer 04-10-2011 10:22 PM

My old 5.7 ran a 14.2.

Miss that old Jeep.

08Hemi 04-10-2011 11:07 PM

^^yeah Joe your overland was tight :)

I still need to get to the track, but today I ran a 5.1 and a 5.2 0-60 on a little open stretch with my trinity...idk where I will be in the 1/4 mile, but anywhere around 14 is just fine for me! 4" bwoody, borla cat-back, reso delete and Johan toona toon!!