Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Goodyear Silent Armors or Firestone Destination A/Ts? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/goodyear-silent-armors-or-firestone-destination-a-ts-21366.html)

rdalcanto 04-06-2011 10:26 AM

Goodyear Silent Armors or Firestone Destination A/Ts?

I don't know which off road tire to get. I don't need snow performance because I have dedicated Blizzaks for that. I will be going to Moab, but not too often. I want a tire that is pretty quiet and handles well. I'm leaning toward the Destinations, but honestly don't know anything about those two different options. Would love to hear more from you guys....

ibleedoil 04-06-2011 11:18 AM

Re: Goodyear Silent Armors or Firestone Destination A/Ts?

I don't have any experience with the Firestone's, but I have used the Goodyear SA's on my truck for a few years and have had an excellent experience with them. They are not overly loud, and have good road characteristics even on a full size truck. The most off-roading I've done with them is dirt roads and some muddy conditions. They performed well. I think they would be pretty good for moab type rocks because of the softer compound which also makes them decent on ice but they do wear a little faster than other tires.

I hope this can help

moosehead 04-06-2011 01:01 PM

+1 to the Firestone's and I use them for what you might: dry pavement at speed, heavy snow, moderate trail, towing. Great all rounder that can stay on year round. Obviously Blizzacks are best for pure snow and ice but the Dest AT's are very solid.

Others here swear by the Michelin LTX2's.

Check out Tire Rack Survey Ratings, Discount Tire, others for good background reviews.

RageOfFury 04-06-2011 04:22 PM

Since you have dedicated snow grips, go with the Destination A/Ts. They are cheaper and great for on-road/off-road during the spring/summer/fall. However, not so good during the winter though. I had them on my Liberty, so I talk from experience.

As for the SilentArmors, impressive tire! Totally kick a$$:thumbsup:

mayor bloom 04-06-2011 04:32 PM

+1 for the silent amours!

RUBRMAN 04-06-2011 10:54 PM

Love the Goodyear's! I have them on all 3 of my suv's. The GC (wife's) 94 blazer (DD) 89 Bronco (plow truck). They are amazing in all aspects. quite with amazing traction. I would sell those snows and run the Goodyear's and be done!

IndyBob 04-07-2011 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 390621)
I don't know which off road tire to get. I don't need snow performance because I have dedicated Blizzaks for that. I will be going to Moab, but not too often. I want a tire that is pretty quiet and handles well. I'm leaning toward the Destinations, but honestly don't know anything about those two different options. Would love to hear more from you guys....

I just had a set of Silent Armors put on my Overland a couple of weeks ago. I noticed there was a little more road noise then with stock tires but I don't even notice it now. Also I think they look good!:)

I am also going out to Moab in June and that plus the snow in the winter were the main reasons I went with them.

rdalcanto 04-07-2011 01:55 PM

One of the things that had me leaning toward the Firestones is the "would buy again" category in Tire Rack. Higher on the Firestones than the Goodyears. But, the good reviews here on the GYs has me second guessing myself again.

pnwsnow 04-08-2011 05:45 PM

I have the Firestone's on my WK. I drive 35k a year in all weather conditions. They are an exceptional buy for the quality of tire.