Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Sipe My Tires? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/sipe-my-tires-21373.html)

bobkbusch 04-06-2011 12:48 PM

Sipe My Tires?

Just picked up my new Overland this weekend. It has the Off-Road Adventure Pkg II and came with Michelin Latitude Tour tires instead of the "On/Off" road tires that are advertised with the package.

I live in Colorado and I'm more concerned about the Latitude's poor performance on snow than I am with the fact that they aren't "On/Off" road tires.

I called my local tire dealer to inquire about swapping them to Michelin LTX M/S2's. I have those tires on a 2007 Liberty and they are great in the snow.

He suggested I "sipe" the Latitude Tours instead. He said it would increase snow traction about 50% and not adversly affect wear, ride, or noise.

Anybody siped their Latitudes and have an opinion on whether this will actually help with this tire?

I should add that I asked the tire dealer "if siping really helped that much without affecting ride, etc., why doesn't Michelin add additional siping at the factory?" He replied that it is a cost issue...he charges $13 per tire.

77rednecktruck 04-06-2011 12:58 PM

Re: Sipe My Tires?

I have done it to some old strictly off-road tires(I think they were older BFG mud tires) in the past with success but have not tried it with a set of on-road tires. I don't think it was a lot of money to get it done at a tire shop, the only issue was finding a tire shop around me that did it. I found some hole in the wall shop where the guy was like 80 years old and he did it pretty cheap. I did notice a decent upgrade in grip after I had it done and it seemed to keep the mud from clogging up the treads also.

ternst 04-06-2011 01:31 PM

I would have asked your dealer where the off road tires were that you paid extra for. Unless we stop bending over and start standing up to these crooks, there is no telling what else they are going to charge us for that is not included as advertised, like off road tires...

vikingdave 04-06-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ternst (Post 390779)
I would have asked your dealer where the off road tires were that you paid extra for. Unless we stop bending over and start standing up to these crooks, there is no telling what else they are going to charge us for that is not included as advertised, like off road tires...

I agree, if they are going to advertise the tires with Off Adventure I and II as being "ON/Offroad Tires", they are misleading, and in fact lying about the equipment that comes on the car. It's one thing for them to subjectively decide that the Latitude's are the best overall tire for most people, but that is no excuse to mislead everyone about what they are buying. I swapped mine out for Michellin LTX M/S2's, and it made a world of difference. They also look much nicer. They need to change their description, or their tire choice as the current situation is completely dishonest.

moosehead 04-06-2011 02:45 PM

OP, cheapest option at $13 a corner is to sipe them, definitely helps in snow and ice. Take a close look at a set of Blizzacks, their siping in combo with softer rubber gives them that special joujou in winter.

Next $ step up is to the Michelins or another AT tire with much better snow rating (as opposed to an all season). Can't go wrong here and you can leave 'em on year round.

If you have the upfront coin, you could swap out winter set and summer set. In the long run, it won't cost you any more money for optimal setup.

FWIW, calling Jeep crooks for providing something other than OR tires is a bit extreme, doncha think? Misleading, sure, but the price value of this vehicle is anything but thievery. Upgrading rubber yourself is a pretty simple and common process.

Bmwister 04-06-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 390821)
OP, cheapest option at $13 a corner is to sipe them, definitely helps in snow and ice. Take a close look at a set of Blizzacks, their siping in combo with softer rubber gives them that special joujou in winter.

^ this. Siping works great on every tire I tried them on that needed improved wet/snow traction. I have Fortera HLs but haven't felt a need to sipe them yet.

netcoolery 04-06-2011 03:01 PM

Today I did call Jeep and register a complaint about the Latitudes. While I agree with Moosehead that calling Jeep "crooks" is way over the top - I still think we should continue to pressure Jeep into either changing the description or offering a real off-road tire (preferable).

I mean, if you ordered a V8 and they shipped you a V6 (and still charged you for the V8), you'd probably have a problem with that, right?

With all that said, I'm not going to let this bother me too much. Moosehead is totally correct that the overall price/value proposition is excellent, even if I had to drop another $360 to fix the tire situation.

bobkbusch 04-06-2011 03:03 PM

I have already tried to get support from my dealer about swapping the tires. He called the regional sales manager and according to him, they won't help because I'm the "only one" who has complained about the tires not being On/Off Road.

This has been discussed in another thread, so I'll keep my comments about Jeep's/Chrysler's "deceptive marketing" to a minimum. Suffice it to say that I will file a complaint and start a case #.

Meanwhile, back to siping. Sounds like it is an inexpensive way to increase the snow traction on the Latitudes without degrading performance in other areas. Unless I hear a few opinions otherwise, I'll probably just get them siped and hope for the best.

jeep2011 04-06-2011 03:17 PM

Yup, I think someone got confused with all season versus all terrain. Still I will give the latitudes props for handling the slick mud, sand, and snow I have been in. Honestly I have no reason or need to change mine.

ternst 04-06-2011 03:37 PM

You are paying for t-bone and they are serving you hamburger, moose or beef - get screwed if you want to but they are still crooks. It is fraud, pure and simple, and as long as everyone bends over and takes it their answer will be just what Bob said above - no one is complaining so why should they bother to give you what you paid for. The reason this is fraud is that they are charging you specifically for off road tires above the price for normal tires, yet, no offroad tires, duh...I could really care less about the cost - it is the principle of the matter. Jeep is lying - I wonder what else they are not providing that we are specifically paying for - travel link perhaps? Ha, ha.....

MikeD 04-06-2011 03:52 PM

I think filing a complaint is a little much, this is more of a luxury SUV than all out off road SUV, Range Rover's don't even come with off road tires and they are up to $100k. If you want different tires get them for winter and use the stock for summer, they will last for years at that rate of use. As for the new Overland how about some pics??

bobkbusch 04-06-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 390865)
I think filing a complaint is a little much, this is more of a luxury SUV than all out off road SUV, Range Rover's don't even come with off road tires and they are up to $100k. If you want different tires get them for winter and use the stock for summer, they will last for years at that rate of use. As for the new Overland how about some pics??

Mike,

I disagree. I feel that a complaint is fully warranted. Although it is "more of a luxury SUV," I paid for the Off Road package and for Off Road tires. It is that simple. I fully intend to take my Overland off-road and often.

If I would have known that the car was shipped with all-season tires instead, I would have just ordered the vehicle with the nice 20" wheels and all-season tires. Then I could add skid-plates, tow-hooks, and 18" wheels and tires for off-roading if I wanted to.

BTW, I'll bet Range Rover doesn't advertise "On/Off-Road" tires and then not provide them...that's my beef.

Back to siping...any more opinions?