Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   Gen 3 projector Headlight question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/gen-3-projector-headlight-question-21410.html)

Sskafar 04-07-2011 10:38 AM

Gen 3 projector Headlight question

I installed the gen 3 projector headlights on my 2001 wj and with 5000k DDM tuning HID's. The light output is awesome! I wanted to put silverstar ultras in the high beams but they won't fit unless they are the straight model bulb in which I don't see a 9005 straight bulb made in the silverstars. Has anyone used these bulbs in the high beams? Also how do you adjust the beam Height on the gen 3 projectors? I need them slightly lowered.

Thanks,

Scott

TJXJWJ 04-07-2011 02:35 PM

Re: Gen 3 projector Headlight question

I've got the 2nd generation ones, but I would imagine the aiming would be the same...there is a screw you access from the top of the housing that lowers and raises the beam. Real easy to do.

Sskafar 04-07-2011 02:58 PM

Is it accessible while on the vehicle or do I need to unmount to get at the screw?

DaMitsuMan 04-07-2011 03:02 PM

When I adjusted mine I had to take it off...the screw was way too tight. But I would imagine that all of them are a little different.

TJXJWJ 04-07-2011 04:26 PM

In order to access mine, I need to stick a phillips head screw driver through the front crossmember...there is an access hole. If you're looking at the driver's side lamp with the hood up, look for the plastic stopper that the hood rests against when down. It's in front of your WW bottle. Next to that is a hole in the metal frame that loops behind your lamp. Through that hole, you'll see the adjuster screw.

mrjaydeeone 04-07-2011 09:22 PM

let's not forget you need a pretty long screwdriver to reach it LOL. I ended up just taking mine out, and adjusting and putting back and testing out. I need to lower the drivers side a bit more so I will be at it again on Saturday, was gonna just deal with it, but also one of the signal bulbs went out, so while I am replacing, mineaswell adjust too

Sskafar 04-08-2011 09:32 AM

Yes I am waiting on vled to get there out of stock bulbs in (seems like they are never in stock!). Then when I add the 5k switch back turn signals and others I will adjust the height. Was the height adjustment the small black screw I seen in back with a jacked toothed washer?

Thanks!

Scott

Amelie 04-08-2011 06:35 PM

Hey Sskafar, Where did you get your Gen III projectors? I'm still in the market to order some but I'm concerned about getting a quality kit, I think all the really good ones I've seen are made by SONAR but I'm not sure, Thanks for the help. Also, are you replacing both #194's up front and the #3157? If so, will you need a resistor?

Sskafar 04-08-2011 11:50 PM

Yes I will need a resistor. I want the switch back turnsignal bulbs that vled sells for the 3157 bulbs. Unfortunately they don't make a switchback for the corner 194 bulb. VLED Says they probably won't have their bulbs in stock until 3rd week of April. As far as the gen 3 headlights, I bought them on eBay as a set that came with the halo projector fog lights that fit in the 99-03 wj's. I fit them also with a set of DDM tuning HID. I'm not sure of the exact make of the gen 3's I have but they pretty much all looked the same and these seem like a quality part and give off a good amount of light. As for the fogs they don't project as well but look good

Scott

Amelie 04-09-2011 11:17 AM

1) I've been running a set of 55w 4500k from DDM, I've had really no major problems so far, But with mine I have it hooked up to a wire harness (Don't know if you had to as well) But lately I've been having problems with my connection on the ground terminal on the battery, I have to tighten it closer to the terminal, because if it slips just a bit, the whole thing goes out lol. Last night, I was driving and I hit a bump in the road and the damn lights went out so I had to drive all the way home alternating between my high beams (which suck a$$ lol) and my fogs which are heavily oxidized from years of use (I would like to eventually get an HID kit in them as well). 2) Do you remember what seller you purchased it from? 3) In my opinion I think projector fogs are pretty stupid, Fogs are meant to spread a wide bar of light on the road (not to act like another pair of headlights as some try to get them to be), 4) Are you running a 35w 5000k in your heads and fogs? 5) Lastly, have you had any experience with the 4500k hits and if not how do you like the look and performace of the 5000k? is it a nice white? I've heard the brightest white you can get from DDM would be a 55w 5000k, But I'm not sure.

I had a buddy order a pair from this seller, one of the cheapest he could find

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...ht_7194wt_1167

cheapjeep 04-10-2011 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sskafar (Post 391324)
I installed the gen 3 projector headlights on my 2001 wj and with 5000k DDM tuning HID's. The light output is awesome! I wanted to put silverstar ultras in the high beams but they won't fit unless they are the straight model bulb in which I don't see a 9005 straight bulb made in the silverstars. Has anyone used these bulbs in the high beams? Also how do you adjust the beam Height on the gen 3 projectors? I need them slightly lowered.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott so far I've only seen the straight bulbs in the regular Silverstars not the ultras. Ive been waiting for those also.

Sskafar 04-10-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reichminister Goebbels (Post 392699)
1) I've been running a set of 55w 4500k from DDM, I've had really no major problems so far, But with mine I have it hooked up to a wire harness (Don't know if you had to as well) But lately I've been having problems with my connection on the ground terminal on the battery, I have to tighten it closer to the terminal, because if it slips just a bit, the whole thing goes out lol. Last night, I was driving and I hit a bump in the road and the damn lights went out so I had to drive all the way home alternating between my high beams (which suck a$$ lol) and my fogs which are heavily oxidized from years of use (I would like to eventually get an HID kit in them as well). 2) Do you remember what seller you purchased it from? 3) In my opinion I think projector fogs are pretty stupid, Fogs are meant to spread a wide bar of light on the road (not to act like another pair of headlights as some try to get them to be), 4) Are you running a 35w 5000k in your heads and fogs? 5) Lastly, have you had any experience with the 4500k hits and if not how do you like the look
and performace of the 5000k? is it a nice white? I've heard the brightest white you can get from DDM would be a 55w 5000k, But I'm not sure

I had a buddy order a pair from this seller, one of the cheapest he could find

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...ht_7194wt_1167

The seller I purchased from on eBay was zomkspeed. It came with the headlights and the fog lights. I had to modify the fogs a bit to except the HID bulb and sealed the rubber gasket around the fog with some silicone. I am running both 35w 5000k in both low beam and fog projectors with a DDM harness on each. They are pretty white except for at start up and the very outer edges of beam pattern. I'm wondering now how much brighter the 55w would be
although I am pretty happy with the 35w. Maybe down the road I'll use these for modifying my reverse lights with HID and get the 55w for the low beam. I was fearful they might be to hot for these aftermarket projectors. I don't have any experience with the 4500k . I was going to go with those first. If I had to do it again I would get the 55w 5000k. The projector fogs aren't bad, they definitely look cool on the 01 wj more like the 04 wj. Although the halo is slightly more blue then the headlight halos. I will be painting a used 04 grill all black soon and fitting it to my 01 to match my paint. I want the all black front end look.

Scott