Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Anyone have body colored painted lower trim? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/anyone-have-body-colored-painted-lower-trim-21435.html)

transam 04-07-2011 06:45 PM

Anyone have body colored painted lower trim?

I can't find on "search" whether someone posted about having their lower black plastic side, wheel arches, front, and rear trim painted to match the body? I've seen the SEMA Jeep pic in Grey, but wanted to know if anyone else had theirs done too with the factory parts?

J13ntv 04-07-2011 07:02 PM

Re: Anyone have body colored painted lower trim?

I dont believe so but I could be mistaken...

Jpjr 04-07-2011 07:12 PM

isn't the point of them that those areas get really banged up? i like that they did that but that's just me

Landa220 04-07-2011 07:45 PM

There's a dealership in my area that will do it for you.

They had a white wk2 in the showroom with all those areas painted and it didn't look bad at all. It definitely gave it a more custom/lower look. It basically included all the black plastic areas including the front and rear lower bumpers and around wheel arches.

I agree though about the durability of it though as those areas will be the first to take a beating. To me, that's why they're made of the durable plastic.

Again, it really didn't look bad at all though.

YMMV

Polak 04-07-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landa220 (Post 391625)
There's a dealership in my area that will do it for you.

They had a white wk2 in the showroom with all those areas painted and it didn't look bad at all. It definitely gave it a more custom/lower look. It basically included all the black plastic areas including the front and rear lower bumpers and around wheel arches.

I agree though about the durability of it though as those areas will be the first to take a beating. To me, that's why they're made of the durable plastic.

Again, it really didn't look bad at all though.

YMMV

You need to go and take some pictures.

GTOGreg 04-09-2011 08:44 PM

If you get them painted, be sure the body shop adds a flex additive. Should be common sense to most, but if they don't it will crack in one year and there you are...

moosehead 04-09-2011 08:54 PM

^+1 to GTOGreg, I believe both flex additives and adhesion additives particular to the plastics are needed.

My Jeep dealer body shop wouldn't touch it, they felt it couldn't be warrantied as it would eventually crack and peel.

I've not yet checked other paint shops but the WK guys seem to have had some good experiences with this.

scittb 04-09-2011 08:56 PM

im going to eventually do it. I had my explorer mud flaps painted same color as lower trim on my last vehicle. He sanded them down smooth and did add a flex agent to he paint. They held up for 8 years with no issues.

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-09-2011 09:06 PM

i had the black plastic trim on my WK painted and it has held up great. the black plastic looked horrible and i hate it on the WK2

Scottina06 04-09-2011 10:32 PM

quit being drama queens and have a shop you trust paint them! Those sort of plastics have been painted by shops for as long as I can remember.....

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-09-2011 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 392989)
quit being drama queens

about time you came around to the dark side scott :D:slapfight:

mhassler 04-10-2011 09:09 AM

Personally, I like the black/gray trim on my vehicle and for my purposes... but I then again my Jeep is black so it isn't as noticeable and I am going for an off-road look with a lift and rock sliders.

However, if I had a different color Jeep (silver or white for example) I would be more inclined to paint the areas (it does look great on the SEMA Jeep). I still may do it because it looks sharp and if I did I would get the areas protected with the 3M invisible material after - like we all get for the front of the vehicle. Now, it won't protect against flexing and cracking but will help from stone chipping.

Just a thought for those considering it...