Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Wax before clear bra? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/wax-before-clear-bra-21444.html)

J13ntv 04-07-2011 07:47 PM

Wax before clear bra?

I've started to notice a few chips/dings whatever you want to call them on the front bumper. Think I'm going to opt for the clear bra, you see too much being a black vehicle.

Are you supposed to wax the area before you get it done? Any special prep people know of/recommend. It will get a hair dirty on the ride to the shop but I assume they clean it again before they apply it.

earldharris 04-07-2011 08:54 PM

Re: Wax before clear bra?

They will go through a full clean/prep before applying the clear bra.

I put three coats of polish down before sending the car in (full frontal wrap - bumper & 12" of hood) - looks great!!

tazdevl 04-08-2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earldharris (Post 391673)
They will go through a full clean/prep before applying the clear bra.

I put three coats of polish down before sending the car in (full frontal wrap - bumper & 12" of hood) - looks great!!

No you don't polish the car. The ppf needs to adhere to the paint. You wax over it. When it doesn't perform as expected, you'll know why.

Dougcjohn 04-08-2011 07:33 AM

Don't they use a prep solution to remove wax & polish anyway? I watched the Lamin-X instructional video and it looked like one of the prep stages was to remove polish & wax.

But good to know, I was thinking of polishing first too as I considered the protection.

B.P.O.D 04-08-2011 09:13 AM

if you want you can polish the part that is going to be covered so there are no more swirls on the part and when the bra goes on you won't see the swirls/scratches under the bra:)

Dougcjohn 04-08-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.P.O.D (Post 391934)
if you want you can polish the part that is going to be covered so there are no more swirls on the part and when the bra goes on you won't see the swirls/scratches under the bra:)

Polish as in to smooth & gloss... but can I apply a polish as in a sealant too; or will that inhibit the urethane adhesion? I normally apply several coats of Glare Products, not a wax but very slick & glossy.
Do all the sealants & wax need to be removed?

I enjoy DIY projects, but at over $400 for the Ft End Protection Kit by Lamin-X... don't want to install & toss it later.

B.P.O.D 04-08-2011 11:28 AM

i would just get the paint in perfect condition(compound or polish) i'm not sure what the process is for the clear bra but i'm sure they will remove all glazes or polish residue that is left on your paint before they apply.

after the bra is on you can apply wax/sealant

J13ntv 04-08-2011 12:28 PM

I cleaned it yesterday and did a quick detailer after. Based on what people say here, before I get it done, I'll wash it again then apply a coat or two of blackfire wet diamond sealant which is almost like a wax, does the same thing imo. I also bought the wax by blackfire but have yet to ever apply it after I do the sealant just never see the need?

Now BPOD you say apply polish to get it looking new again, but what about a new 2011, is it worth polish? Isn't it somewhat abrasive? Wouldn't want to actually put swirls in it. What do people recommend in form of a polish?

Thanks everyone

B.P.O.D 04-08-2011 12:55 PM

i have bfwd as well:) good choice! you should call up the place and see if it is ok for you to put a wax or sealant on your truck before the clear bra.

polish will remove swirls that are already on your truck:) meguiarsonline.com is a great place to see videos of how to remove swirls. you can also check out detailedimage for writeups!

J13ntv 04-08-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.P.O.D (Post 392136)
i have bfwd as well:) good choice! you should call up the place and see if it is ok for you to put a wax or sealant on your truck before the clear bra.

polish will remove swirls that are already on your truck:) meguiarsonline.com is a great place to see videos of how to remove swirls. you can also check out detailedimage for writeups!

Thanks. Since we have a similar taste in product, what polish do you use?

Martyp 04-08-2011 01:01 PM

You could polish the paintwork to correct any swirls/scratches however, don't wax it.

Before they put the bra on they will do an IPA wipe down or similar to remove silicones/waxes/oils so it can adhere to the paint. :)

B.P.O.D 04-08-2011 01:05 PM

exactly what marty said! he knows his detailing!!!

since you are strapped for time you can run out and buy meguiars swirlx or ultimate compound. those should def do the job. if you already have meguiars 105 or 205 you can use those. remember always start with the least aggressive method!

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...56&postcount=2