Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Steering (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/steering-2155.html)

NHWK05 08-18-2009 08:51 PM

Steering

What does your steering feel like on the highway?

I have noticed ever since i bought my jeep that on the highway the steering seems super sensitive and almost swishy.

Anyone else?

maybe its because i was so used to having tons of play in my old lifted xj but it just feels like there might be something wrong. I have never had another WK on the highway before to compare.

Dylans3960ccs 08-18-2009 09:00 PM

Re: Steering

mine feels nicely weighted on the freway. I'd like to drive a WK to compare though.

NHWK05 08-18-2009 09:03 PM

Remember though, the Wj has over the knuckle steering like the old full size chevys used to have. The WK is completely different with rack an pinion steering.

spiker01 08-18-2009 09:50 PM

the steering on mine felt way to twitchy. if you got an itchy palm on the freeway then people would think you were drunk. it was tight and a little to sensitive. UNTIL... i added the the srt wheels and now the steering feels waaaaay better

Scottina06 08-18-2009 09:59 PM

add the sway bars, links, bilsteins and springs and all that goes away. You are also driving on AT tires I'm guessing...

NHWK05 08-19-2009 06:51 AM

Spiker- That is exactly how it feels. Good way to describe it.

Scott, I have the stock forteras for now but i am prolly going to stick with a AT tire like the Bridgestone dueller at or yokohama geolander ats. Not super aggressive but reliable enough to get me through the deep snow winters we have and still last a good long time.

I wish i could afford summer tires and winter tires but i cant so i need to stick with a good year round at tire.

I want to do sways, bilsteins but its not in the budget until next year. I have no plans to lower or lift this jeep either so it would be new sway bars and links and just the bilsteins but no new springs.

Scottina06 08-19-2009 12:26 PM

the stock springs IMO are part of the problem. But the only thing sold besides stock equivelants are lowering springs and offroad springs

NHWK05 08-19-2009 02:17 PM

What is sold that is better then stock but wont alter ride height but will increase handling?

Scottina06 08-19-2009 02:20 PM

hmmm....thats a good one. I would do the SRt springs and pair them with the WK Bilsteins and you would virtually have no drop. the SRT springs drop about an inch and then the WK Bilsteins would raise yopu back up 3/8"

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

check out Lordfyers wifes WK...she has that setup and I think the handling/rod manners are excellent

NHWK05 08-19-2009 02:21 PM

Hmm, I plan to do wk bilsteins next year, maybe when i do them i can swin a set of srt springs and sways.

Scottina06 08-19-2009 02:23 PM

theres a member on here now with some low mile SRT springs for sale. Id say he'd make ya a deal on them

NHWK05 08-19-2009 02:26 PM

Thanks, I will check it out.