Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Bizarre No Start Issue (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/bizarre-no-start-issue-21555.html)

bobkbusch 04-09-2011 10:27 PM

Bizarre No Start Issue

Our Overland is one week old. My wife has been driving it (and loving it) all week since I've been out of town.

This morning my wife could not start the Jeep. Pushing the start button and using the key in the ignition had no effect. Our dealer was very helpful on the phone but couldn't resolve the problem. Just as the tow truck arrived, the Jeep started fine.

She took it straight to the dealer and they ran diagnostics that did not show any codes/problems. They couldn't find anything wrong and could not duplicate the no start issue.

Tonight, she was out with her three month old 2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo (great car BTW). When attempting to start that car, which also has a keyless ignition...NO START! First time it has happened to her on that vehicle.

I thought about it and excluded solar flares, military RF testing, and nearby alien spacecraft. However, she had a keychain home alarm system remote in her purse near the key fob. I told her to take the home alarm remote and move it a good distance from the car and try another start.

Voila....car started fine. Funny thing is she's been carrying the same home alarm remote along with her Hyundai key fob for three months with no problems until today.

Not sure we've identified the problem, but the strong coincidence certainly makes me suspect RF interference between the Jeep key fob and home alarm remote. Any experts out there know enough about these things to know if this is plausible?

rwshelburne 04-10-2011 07:38 AM

Re: Bizarre No Start Issue

Dealer told me that have seen problems with those grey security door key fobs that cause starting problems if attached on a key chain with your jeep fob....have not had a problem yet but just something to think about.

Nouveau Redneck 04-11-2011 01:13 PM

Was she pressing the brake pedal while she pushed the start button?

bobkbusch 04-11-2011 03:29 PM

Yep, she was pressing the brake pedal. As I mentioned, she also has a Hyundai with a similar keyless ignition (also requires the brake pedal to be pressed), and no issues until this episode.

RageOfFury 04-11-2011 03:36 PM

Doesn't she know she must stick the key fob into her cleavage for the Jeep to start?

lol

In all seriousness, I've had it happen 2 times before where the display would say "No Key Detected". I would just rattle my pocket and try again and voila it starts.

Issues like this are bound to happen on new technology. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this whole keyless system is something new to Chrysler right?

bobkbusch 04-11-2011 03:47 PM

I didn't ask about a "No Key Detected" message on the EVIC. I did have her try to start the vehicle with the key in the ignition, after pulling off the start push button cap and it still wouldn't start. I will recommend the cleavage trick next!

lll2for3lll 04-11-2011 03:54 PM

Uh oh. This was notorious with the WK1. I think I'll get a Subaru STI instead.

tmw1582 04-11-2011 08:21 PM

Had the grey fob on my keychain as well and the dealer told me the same thing about starting issues. He said it was not a big deal but recommended that I remove it.

bobkbusch 04-11-2011 09:10 PM

I'm not familiar with the "grey security door key fob" mentioned earlier. Is that the same thing as a home security alarm remote? Our home security system includes a keychain remote, but it is blue.

dubwarren 04-11-2011 09:29 PM

Please post a pick of the security fob. I would love to know if it looks like the one I currently have on my key chain.

bobkbusch 04-11-2011 09:35 PM

Sorry, perhaps I'm a bit paranoid, but discussing my home security system in any more detail on the internet makes me uncomfortable. Suffice it to say it is blue.