Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   WK WK2 comparison review (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/wk-wk2-comparison-review-21591.html)

arik_zuckerman 04-10-2011 04:25 PM

WK WK2 comparison review

Hi,
1) I own a 2009 WK 3.7L. Is there a good review that compares this model to the new WK2 3.6L GC? (that will also cover off-road drive).

2) In addition, I will be very happy to get some links to recommended reviews (again, off-road drive as well, off-road capabilities given no lowest gear and so forth) of the model that I own (I guess any 3.7L from 2008-2010 will fit)

Thanks!
Arik

dmsfun 04-11-2011 09:19 AM

Re: WK WK2 comparison review

The new one is built on a signifcantly better chassis, developed by Daimler and shared with the 2012 Mercedes ML platform, and alslo a stretched version used with the new Durango. It has much higher torsional stiffness and solidity, wider wheelbase, etc.. I would not even consider one though until they release the 8 speed automatic, as the exisiting 5 speed transmissions are awful, the worst of any vehicle I have owned.

jas32 04-17-2011 09:50 PM

I have not seen a written review comparing a WK to a WK2, however speaking from personal (on-road, no off-road) experience ( I leased a 2008 3.7L WK base E package for the past 3 years, and just leased a 2011 3.6L WK2 base E package), the difference is simply phenomenal. The WK2 is 1,2 maybe 3 steps above the WK in terms of refinement, quietness, ride quality, materials used, comfort, performance, fuel economy, torsional stiffness, etc, in short everything!

Comparing base E packages, the WK2 adds a lot more standard features as follows: keyless and go, leather covered steering wheel with audio controls, dual AC controls, more rear seat legroom, reclining rear seats, rear folding armrests, exterior chrome accents, etc. Comparing MSRP's the WK2 did not go up much, but since the WKs were heavily rebated, the WK2 is definitely a more expensive vehicle.

Performance on the new 3.6L is also something else. Yes the 8 speed would have been nice but the 5 speed on the WK worked great for me, so not an issue. As long as it is not a 4 speed as in my daughter's Liberty.

Sorry I don't go off road, so no opinion in that area. QTI is just perfect for our Michigan winters.

jeepgcoman 04-18-2011 08:23 PM

"I would not even consider one though until they release the 8 speed automatic, as the exisiting 5 speed transmissions are awful, the worst of any vehicle I have owned."

X2, X2, X2!!!

jas32 04-18-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 398373)
"I would not even consider one though until they release the 8 speed automatic, as the exisiting 5 speed transmissions are awful, the worst of any vehicle I have owned."

X2, X2, X2!!!

Keep in mind that the 5 speed behind the Pentastar (W5A580) is not the same transmission as the one behind the Hemi (545RFE). Are you saying all of them are bad? I've had over a dozen Grand Cherokees over the years and I've never had a bad transmission.

The 8 speed may be a couple of years away. Too bad, you guys are missing out on a GREAT vehicle.

dmsfun 04-19-2011 03:42 PM

The 8 speed is included in the 2012 SRT WKII; indications are that it will also be released sometime later this year on the Durango and Jeep Hemi.

blackpepper 04-19-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 393732)
I would not even consider one though until they release the 8 speed automatic, as the exisiting 5 speed transmissions are awful, the worst of any vehicle I have owned.

x2 ...