Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   steering improvements, whats my options? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/steering-improvements-whats-my-options-21600.html)

paroxysym 04-10-2011 07:37 PM

steering improvements, whats my options?

So I just got done the daystar BB, threw on some 32" silent armors and the rear addco just to mention a few mods- now I'm wondering what I can do to the steering to improve on it. Is there any aftermarket stabilizers out there to help it? How's the steering boxes in these things- any problems? Can it handle the stress of tire upgrades? I think I want to do the front addco soon as I think the rear didn't provide a HUGE difference.

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-10-2011 09:30 PM

Re: steering improvements, whats my options?

if you want improved steering why did you lift it and put big tires on it? thats the exact opposite of what is needed to improve steering and handling

Relwarc 04-10-2011 09:36 PM

Hey man, what do you want to improve? There's steering, and handling... adcos and stiffer shock absorbers will improve handling... but the STEERING, is something thats effected by steering stabilizers.

Are you having issues with the steering at all? the steering box should be perfectly fine. The Wk has a rack and pinion steering, so they dont take a steering stabilizer like the older Jeeps with the inverted Y type steering.

If you're noticing a difference, it's probably because it's more top heavy. In that case, stronger sways and shocks might help. I never noticed an issue...

paroxysym 04-10-2011 10:06 PM

Dude I added the rear swaybar, wider tires and hd bilsteins to firm up the ride and improve handling. Yea lifting it can throw off the geometry of the vehicle and cause a decrease in such things as handling and stability- but not by much..

What I'm looking for is just to keep improving the handling whether it be the addition of a front swybar or some new links. I'm not experiencing any problems at the moment just looking to build on to the mods I have to increase the quality of the ride.

And before I get a "why did you put big tires and a lift on it if you wanted to improve the ride" comment... New shocks and silent armors def inproved the ride..

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-10-2011 10:53 PM

from my personal experience, the front srt sway bar is a waste. they weigh almost the same as the stock bar and do not add much improvement. the rear bar and thicker sway links are where you will see a difference so you are already set there.

Scottina06 04-11-2011 12:14 AM

the front SRT bar is solid....the stocker is hollow. enough said.....

I think you need to add the srt front bar and the bwoody sway links. Bwoody will make you an extended set depending on your lift and what length you need.

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-11-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 393615)
the front SRT bar is solid....the stocker is hollow. enough said.....

they weigh the same

paroxysym 04-11-2011 06:57 AM

ill look into the front SRT or maybe the addco. i was looking at the bwoody links but kolak talked me out of buying them. i mean dont get me wrong the body rolls isnt as noticeable now with the stiffer shocks and the rear addco, but would like to build on that.

Relwarc 04-11-2011 07:18 AM

From what i've read, you want a SRT sway, for some reason, i remember hearing nothing but bad things about the Addco bar.

The more you can stabilize it, the better. The wider tires should have helped too, to mitigate the lift difference. From 245's to 255's, it is a significant difference in track width, especially with your 1/4" spacers.