Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Wheels (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/wheels-21601.html)

gonzanc 04-10-2011 08:10 PM

Wheels

Out of curiosity I was thinking about buying a Trail Rated GJC bc they have the interior/exterior color combo I wanted, but I am not hot on the 18" wheels. Is there any chance of me successfully finding someone to trade the 18" wheels for 20" wheels ?

jcnaranjo 04-10-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzanc (Post 393433)
Out of curiosity I was thinking about buying a Trail Rated GJC bc they have the interior/exterior color combo I wanted, but I am not hot on the 18" wheels. Is there any chance of me successfully finding someone to trade the 18" wheels for 20" wheels ?

I know there was someone in Texas that wanted to trade. Can't find the thread, but it is here somewhere...

gonzanc 04-10-2011 09:11 PM

Re: Wheels

In general though, do most folks want the 20" wheels or 18"s or is there a good group of both?

mhassler 04-11-2011 09:09 AM

It's complicated....

I have a Limited with the 18s and wanted the OEM Overland 20s (took from stock - didn't order). I have been searching for the OEM Overland 20s since November when I got my Jeep.

In March I found a member who was selling his OEM Overland 20s becuase he wanted the twin-spoke MOPAR 20s (like on the accessory brochure). It worked out great because I didn't need the OEM tires for the 20's (I wanted an off-road style tire) and he did need the factory tires.

So, it worked out, I offset the cost of his new wheels and he didn't have to buy new tires. And, if I purchased a set with tires I would have a set of 20' tires and the OEM 18's lying around my garage.

And, I would venture to say that...
1) the Jeepers with the Overland's who want the 18's because off better off-road/winter tire applications ordered the 18's w/ the ORA package
--or--
2) are keeping thier 20s and bought a set of 18s (whether OEM Limited or the Black MOPAR) in order to swap for winter or weekend tires.

In short, you may have better luck finding a member who has the OEM Overland 20s and that wants to sell them in favor of the new Summit polished 20's or the twin-spoke MOPAR 20's like I found.

Now, you would be "stuck" with your OEM 18's (like I will be) but you may be able to sell them to a Laredo 'E' owner who has the non-polosiihed 18s and would like the polished or to an Overland owner who wants a 2nd set of wheels for off-road or winter tires.

Make sense?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcnaranjo (Post 393443)
I know there was someone in Texas that wanted to trade. Can't find the thread, but it is here somewhere...

Swap was completed:
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/wheel-trade-interest-have-20-would-like-18-a-19369-2.html

gonzanc 04-11-2011 10:18 AM

wow...great reply. Thanks, I will keep that in mind

LiquidOxygen 04-11-2011 10:56 AM

My overland is trail rated and originally came with the 18s but I made the dealer put the 20s on before taking possession. I used it as a deal breaker on my order and the switch didn't cost me anything. I have since purchased a set of 18s for winter use but much prefer the look of the 20s.

mhassler 04-11-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidOxygen (Post 393795)
My overland is trail rated and originally came with the 18s but I made the dealer put the 20s on before taking possession. I used it as a deal breaker on my order and the switch didn't cost me anything. I have since purchased a set of 18s for winter use but much prefer the look of the 20s.

Wow, that is some good, hard negotiating. Did you order your Overland or buy off the lot?

I asked the dealer that I purchased from (through a DX) if they would simply include the 20" wheels & tires with my purchase, I was willing to pay extra for a 2nd set, especially if I could spread it over the next 5-yrs as part of my payment. I didn't get a Jeep with the ORA package so it wasn't like a "I wanted this but not that situation."

You know what the a**holes did... they quoted me at $2800 -- $424/wheel + $260/tire AND they were going to keep my 18's. Obviously, I didn't do it. They are such a sh*tty dealarship, why not offer me the wheels at cost or even employee pricing? All part of why I no longer deal with them.

Tinkan 04-11-2011 02:51 PM

I too am looking for the 20s and just had no luck with the dealer. Dealer was not even a little nice about the request.

I now have a set of the Mopar black 18s and a set of the Overland bright chrome 18s. I am looking around to see if anyone wants to trade. The chrome 18s have no rubber on them and are in the boxes the Mopar blacks came in.

If no trade can be found I my just put the factors chrome 18s up for sale and go and find some other 20s but I do prefer the factory Overland 20s via trade + $$

Technosavant 04-12-2011 10:52 AM

I think it isn't just that the folks with the 20s want to keep them, but more that nobody is all that enamored with the stock 18" rims.

Personally, I've already added the skid plates and tow hooks and would be interested in selling my 20" wheelset in favor of the black Mopar rims, but in order for me to do it I'd want about enough out of the things for it to be budget neutral, and that probably isn't worth it for most folks who are interested.

barrette's jeep 04-12-2011 12:49 PM

I like to get 22", maybe from the new JGC SRT8.... Will see...:D

Schleprock 04-12-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrette's jeep (Post 394471)
I like to get 22", maybe from the new JGC SRT8.... Will see...:D

The new SRT8 doesn't have 22', they are 20"x10

mhassler 04-12-2011 06:31 PM

The SEMA concept has a 22" version of the OEM Overland... so at least one set exists :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 394418)
Personally, I've already added the skid plates and tow hooks and would be interested in selling my 20" wheelset in favor of the black Mopar rims, but in order for me to do it I'd want about enough out of the things for it to be budget neutral, and that probably isn't worth it for most folks who are interested.

If you are seriously interested I bet you could find someone willing to work out a deal which would be win-win for each of you.