Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Sport Mode (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/sport-mode-21610.html)

Dan JGC 04-11-2011 12:54 AM

Sport Mode

Tried sport mode today.....really liked it. Definitely seems like a firmer ride and less bouncy. It may end up being my preferred mode...

Anyone have any thoughts on it?

rich mac 04-11-2011 01:56 AM

Re: Sport Mode

Couple of questions:
Does it hurt to drive it full time in sport mode?
How close is it to being the same as 'park' height?
thx

mjw930 04-11-2011 06:51 AM

Sport mode is what i use 90% of the time. I don't know if it actually firms up the ride but I do know it lowers the vehicle 1/2" but does not effect the shocks since they aren't dynamic on the Overland like they are supposed to be on the SRT8. I haven't noticed it being any "firmer", just lower.

The main things accomplished by Sport mode:

Lowers vehicle to Aerodynamic ride height (.5" lower than Normal)
Bias power 80% to the rear to emulate RWD vehicle
Adjusts throttle sensitivity (yet to be confirmed)
Changes shift points (yet to be confirmed)

On the last two, many insist that's what's happening but no where in print does it explicitly say what's changed, only that it's supposed to be more "sporty".

And no, there's no risk of hurting anything (no idea how you would get the idea) and it's still 1" higher than "Park" height.

2011RitterGC 04-11-2011 07:02 AM

I wish it stayed in Sport Mode after you turn off the GC. Or maybe I should say I would like it to stay in Sport mode when I restart the car. Also it would be nice to be able to have the car at Areo height without having to switch to sport mode. Why would you ever need the "Noraml Ride Height" when on-road with no snow? If its raining out, for example, I would like the lower height but still keep more of a 4 wheel bias and traction control on.

2011RitterGC 04-11-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 393668)
Sport mode is what i use 90% of the time. I don't know if it actually firms up the ride but I do know it lowers the vehicle 1/2" but does not effect the shocks since they aren't dynamic on the Overland like they are supposed to be on the SRT8. I haven't noticed it being any "firmer", just lower.

The main things accomplished by Sport mode:

Lowers vehicle to Aerodynamic ride height (.5" lower than Normal)
Bias power 80% to the rear to emulate RWD vehicle
Adjusts throttle sensitivity (yet to be confirmed)
Changes shift points (yet to be confirmed)

On the last two, many insist that's what's happening but no where in print does it explicitly say what's changed, only that it's supposed to be more "sporty".

And no, there's no risk of hurting anything (no idea how you would get the idea) and it's still 1" higher than "Park" height.

You need to add turning off (or close to off) the traction control.

nickyj 04-11-2011 08:28 AM

Would having it in sport mode 90% of the contribute to the rear tires wearing faster since the majority of the power is now being transferred to the rear?

bluetrude 04-11-2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyj (Post 393698)
Would having it in sport mode 90% of the contribute to the rear tires wearing faster since the majority of the power is now being transferred to the rear?

Not unless you were doing burnouts. The 80% means more power to the rear wheels but as long as they are just turning normally there is no difference in wear.

Dan JGC 04-11-2011 09:13 AM

It definitely is more sporty......the shifting points are definitely different which gives the impression it is tighter especially in the 35-40 mph range. It drives much differently to me.

I wish it would stay in Sport Mode too. Doesn't seem to be any reason why defaults back to Auto Mode.

scittb 04-11-2011 10:25 AM

You guys noticing any mileage differences?

Technosavant 04-11-2011 11:50 AM

If it stayed in Sport mode at key cycle it would have messed up the EPA mileage numbers. Testing requires that the "default" configuration be used for such things, and if the "default" was whatever you left it in, they'd have likely lost a couple mpg (if it does indeed raise shift points and increase throttle sensitivity as it seems to do, efficiency drops). Despite the claims of some, those numbers matter in the marketplace. Therefore, default is AUTO.

As for tire wear, if anything, I'd expect reduced tread wear on the front tires, since they are asked to do less (they aren't handling as much power). However, this reduction would be very minor and likely completely unnoticeable.