Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Wax on - wax off (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/wax-on-wax-off-21618.html)

Ruprickt 04-11-2011 10:13 AM

Wax on - wax off

Not to give away how long it's been since I bought a brand new car, but is it ok to wax the 2011 JGC as soon as you get it home? Bug season is coming up. Any favorite waxes/polishes/techniques?

Ruprickt 04-11-2011 10:16 AM

Re: Wax on - wax off

Ok, I see k9jackie already asked about this on the 8th. Looks like it's ok to wax on day one.

wreckdive 04-11-2011 10:18 AM

Wash + paint cleaning clay first. Then wax.

mcamisgroup 04-11-2011 11:37 AM

Definitely ok to wax from day one, by hand, but not buffer. All of my detailing supplies come from Adam's Polishes and for me there is none better!

Ruprickt 04-11-2011 12:51 PM

Excellent. Thank you. I hadn't heard of cleaning clay until this site. Good to know. Sounds like a good excuse for a car wash party. Thanks again.

When can you start to use a buffer? Or never?

Cperez 04-11-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruprickt (Post 393854)
Sounds like a good excuse for a car wash party.

Two things I wouldn't dream of doing without some beer on hand: washing the car, and manning the grill. :chug:

wreckdive 04-11-2011 05:05 PM

^^ A good random-orbital polishing machine can be a time-saver for both applying and removing/buffing wax. You do not need to use any form of polishing compound on a new vehicle, assuming the dealer didn't already screw it up with swirl marks from over-aggressive machine polishing/buffing.

I am one of those A/C obsessive types that believes the clearcoat continues to harden for the first 45 - 60 days or so after leaving the factory, not unlike the process that has concrete actually getting harder 10, 50, 100 years after pouring. So I hand wash and wax and buff for the first 6 or 8 weeks, then I'll start using the machine. If you use the best products (sparingly, less is more) and don't use a heavy hand, the random orbital is fine. Just make sure the bonnets and rags/towels are correctly chosen for the materials you are working with, and they are scrupulously clean.

Party on!!

Scottina06 04-11-2011 06:14 PM

there is a detailing forum here with lots of how to's, advice etc. We also have probably the BEST detailing vendor on the net in detailedImage.com

FYI-you get the gloss, shine...whatever you wanna call it from the polish you use...so use it! There are different grades of polishes. I use mostly Meguiers professional series products with my DA Porter Cable and ONLY hydro-tec pads from lake country. FYI_ a da polisher like the Porter cable are perfectly fine for your newer finish. Just choose the right products and pads. I recommend a very light polish to add gloss and then a sealant topped off with a good PURE carnuaba...like P21s Concours. I think my 5 yr old Jeep speaks for itsself and I would put it up against any new vehicle.

RageOfFury 04-11-2011 06:36 PM

Here's what I did :

-Wash (with a non-wax car soap, used Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner)
-Dry using several microfiber towels
-Pre-wax cleaner (Mother's Pre-Wax Cleaner)
-Polish (Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish)
-Wax (Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Wax)

All of this took me a full day. Started around 8 in the morning, finished around 6pm. Lot's of hard work, but well worth it:thumbsup:

Next step is to protect the black trim. Going to use Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer. The chrome accent pieces were protected using the steps above.

Ruprickt 04-11-2011 08:02 PM

Thank you for all of the info. Sounds like I have a few things to buy and a couple kegs to put on ice.

giantsfan 04-11-2011 09:10 PM

what's the best product to use with the chrome? I've never owned a car with chrome accent pieces....

Scottina06 04-11-2011 09:19 PM

Just seal and wax them^^^^^