Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   paint my grill myself or get it painted? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/paint-my-grill-myself-or-get-it-painted-2163.html)

pkang21 08-19-2009 03:01 PM

paint my grill myself or get it painted?
 
what do you guys think. and if you think i should paint it myself, what paint, and steps should i watch out for.

White WK Swagga 08-19-2009 03:12 PM

Re: paint my grill myself or get it painted?
 
Get it done. I was thinking about doing my pillars myself but I'm going to have someone do it professionally.

pkang21 08-19-2009 03:16 PM

Re: paint my grill myself or get it painted?
 
i think the pillars are ok with vinyl.. its just reallllyyyyyy time consuming. but unlike the grille it doesnt have many curves and stuff.. so its not that bad..

B.P.O.D 08-19-2009 03:19 PM

Re: paint my grill myself or get it painted?
 
its plastic and plastic is hard to paint. i'd get it done prof

LO.7 08-19-2009 03:22 PM

Re: paint my grill myself or get it painted?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pkang21 (Post 49387)
i think the pillars are ok with vinyl.. its just reallllyyyyyy time consuming. but unlike the grille it doesnt have many curves and stuff.. so its not that bad..

Any close up pics of the pillars?

White WK Swagga 08-19-2009 03:58 PM

Re: paint my grill myself or get it painted?
 
LO.7 You got to do your pillars. That will look so sick on your jeep bro!

TimmyB 08-19-2009 04:13 PM

Re: paint my grill myself or get it painted?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pkang21 (Post 49375)
what do you guys think. and if you think i should paint it myself, what paint, and steps should i watch out for.


Honeslty if you feel you can do it yourself I would give it a shot. All you need is a good size compressor and a good paint sprayer. Go to an auto paints store near you.

When I received my ground effects I was going to paint them myself, never having painted before. The owner of the paint store told me he advised against it doing it myself, because I said I was going to do it in my basement. He said I would get all the dust trapped in the paint, blah blah blah. So i had his shop do it, 300 bucks later I pick them up and there are pits and crap in the paint. He said he would take them back and redo them, but I knew he meant sand the pits out and repaint it. I def didnt want him messing them up more. So my point is, if you are anal like me and are a perfectionist, and feel you can do it and have the proper tools, why the hell not try it??? I wish i did them myself.

Oh, and go on the net and do lots of research on how to paint, best way to get tips.

Scottina06 08-19-2009 04:37 PM

Re: paint my grill myself or get it painted?
 
go to automotivetouchup.com and buy the supplies. I suggest px8 black clearcoat. But the px8 and clearcoat from there. then go to an autpparts store and buy the following:

various grits of light sandpaper-600-2000 grit
high build primer-1can should do it
adhesion promoter-1 can
tack cloths
poly gloves-like nurses use

PULL THE GRILL APART-there are directions here-but there are little tabs that hold the painted part to the back-use a small screwdriver to pop those oput withoutr breaking them and slowly pull the painted part away from the backing while working your way down the grill.

Once you get that off-soak it and wash it with dawn and let airdry. Do NOT touch it with your bare hands at any time during ANY of this. Always wear the gloves!!!!

Next...sand the grill untill all the shinineess is gone..use like 1000 grit. Sand it GOOD! then wash again and let air dry.

Spray with adhesion promoter 2-3 times(read directions for curing time)-tack the surface

Spray light coats of the high build primer. make sure there are no runs. let it dry in between coats according to the directions on the can. let that cure overnight.

Lightly sand with 2000 grit...then wash again. Tack the surface--then adhesion promoter again-2-3 coats.

tack the surface...then spray light coats...waiting like 5 minites between coats till you get a smooth even surface. let dry 15 minutes. Then clearcoat with light even coats...atleast 5-6 coats. Let dry 24 hours. Then if you feel confident wet sand with the 2000 grit sandpaper and buff with compound, then polish to a shine. Wait a week or so and then wax.

TimmyB 08-19-2009 04:45 PM

Re: paint my grill myself or get it painted?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 49427)
go to automotivetouchup.com and buy the supplies. I suggest px8 black clearcoat. But the px8 and clearcoat from there. then go to an autpparts store and buy the following:

various grits of light sandpaper-600-2000 grit
high build primer-1can should do it
adhesion promoter-1 can
tack cloths
poly gloves-like nurses use

PULL THE GRILL APART-there are directions here-but there are little tabs that hold the painted part to the back-use a small screwdriver to pop those oput withoutr breaking them and slowly pull the painted part away from the backing while working your way down the grill.

Once you get that off-soak it and wash it with dawn and let airdry. Do NOT touch it with your bare hands at any time during ANY of this. Always wear the gloves!!!!

Next...sand the grill untill all the shinineess is gone..use like 1000 grit. Sand it GOOD! then wash again and let air dry.

Spray with adhesion promoter 2-3 times(read directions for curing time)-tack the surface

Spray light coats of the high build primer. make sure there are no runs. let it dry in between coats according to the directions on the can. let that cure overnight.

Lightly sand with 2000 grit...then wash again. Tack the surface--then adhesion promoter again-2-3 coats.

tack the surface...then spray light coats...waiting like 5 minites between coats till you get a smooth even surface. let dry 15 minutes. Then clearcoat with light even coats...atleast 5-6 coats. Let dry 24 hours. Then if you feel confident wet sand with the 2000 grit sandpaper and buff with compound, then polish to a shine. Wait a week or so and then wax.


Yup, def try it yourself if you think you can do it. Why pay someone to work on YOUR Jeep??

LO.7 08-19-2009 04:58 PM

Re: paint my grill myself or get it painted?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by White WK Swagga (Post 49408)
LO.7 You got to do your pillars. That will look so sick on your jeep bro!

I know trust I want to get them done. It's just a matter of finding a shop that will do it for a reasonable price.

Scottina06 08-19-2009 05:00 PM

Re: paint my grill myself or get it painted?
 
I have used this method many times and been very successful. I have done interior pieces, engine parts, strut bars, intakes etc.

TimmyB 08-19-2009 05:26 PM

Re: paint my grill myself or get it painted?
 
If your not sure you can always do a mock-up run, grab some paint and try painting something plastic and see how you do. Then if it comes out good then do your grill.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community