Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Colorado Dudes and Dudettes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/colorado-dudes-and-dudettes-21636.html)

Nbtstatic 04-11-2011 02:28 PM

Colorado Dudes and Dudettes

Can someone fill me in on the auto tint situation up there? So 27% is the legal limit, I got that much, but I also see on this forum that it looks like most of you are ignoring that. :lol:

So does that mean this is not strictly enforced? My wife has a brand new Audi that she is wanting to get tinted next week ( I move up on the 15th). She is thinking 20% but I don't know how much the fuzz will harass her up there. She called Touch of Shade in Co Springs and he said he does a lot of 15%? Jeez that is dark.

Here in TX, you sometimes get tested for light transmission when getting your annual inspection sticker, but it looks like there is no such thing in CO, is this right?

Thanks for any info/experiences you have,
NB

MikeD 04-11-2011 02:47 PM

Re: Colorado Dudes and Dudettes

I live in Colorado Springs and have had 15% in all my car's for the past 12 years and have never been pulled over for window tint being too dark. My wife has very dark tint as well and has had about 4 tickets in the past 4 years and they have never given her trouble for dark tint. I plan on getting my Overland tinted once I get it as well.

moosehead 04-11-2011 05:57 PM

Not really enforced here NB, have not even heard of a fine. Worst case I've heard of is maybe you gotta remove really dark limo tint if pulled over for another infraction. FWIW, I did fronts with 20 and rears with 50 for heat reduction. It is only a bit dark at night in rural areas, otherwise perfect.

robpp 04-11-2011 06:00 PM

i have a 98 Xj that i first reg here in 98. been 13 years and nary a stop or even a question. it has 20%. on my 07 wk i have 15% on the front 2.

Nbtstatic 04-11-2011 06:52 PM

Thanks fellas

BimmerAgent 04-11-2011 11:26 PM

I've not been pulled over for tinted windows, but I have been pulled over for SMOKED LICENSE PLATE COVERS! That's right, license plate covers that were darker than clear. Trooper pulled a uee across 4 lanes to nail me. I wasn't speeding or anything....he had a rookie with him, so I think he was trying to make a point. I guess we're not allowed to have tinted plate covers, even though they're easy to get. Gave me a warning and told me to remove the covers.....I'll get right on that, osifer. Bruce

earldharris 04-12-2011 12:17 AM

I see lots of people with fronts @ 20% in south metro Denver, no one seems to get any grief.
I have had my Dakota fronts @ 20% for a year and a half, and just had the Summit fronts done @ 20%.
I like the look of the same tint level front and back.

MasterWK 04-12-2011 12:21 AM

27% would be correct. I have 20, and the troopers around here don't give me a hard time, and i'm a kid also.

nek121328 04-12-2011 03:39 PM

A tinted "OFF ROAD ONLY" license plate cover impairs the visibility of the plate according to most state's motor vehicle laws. Having a license plate bulb burned
out can create a visit of a LEO.