Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Cherokee-SJ and XJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f19/)
-   -   Water Pump (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f19/water-pump-21639.html)

batman 04-11-2011 04:01 PM

Water Pump

So my water pump decided to crap out on me in October 2010, no big deal because things go bad. Fast forward to today and my Jeep is leaking antifreeze again so I take it back to the shop thinking its most likely a hose. The shop manager tells me its the water pump and it needs to be replaced. I go back home and look at my service records and realize that they just put one in back in October so I call back to explain this to the shop manager. The shop manager informs me that the warranty is only good for 90 days or 4,000 miles. He then tells me he doesn't understand why the water pump would go bad since he put in a brand new one and not a refurbished one. I didn't know shops put refurbished water pumps in cars and charger full price. He said he'd cut me a deal and give me a lifetime warranty on the part with this one (some deal) at the same price I paid last time.

Now the first time my pump whent bad I paid $343 for a coolant flush, valve cooling system, water pump and a lower hose. Today I come in and they say its $419 for JUST the water pump. I kindly show the tech the old bill (the shop manager had left for the day) and he adjusts the bill to $343 for the new water pump which is still bull crap because I paid $343 for a pump, cooling system, flush and lower hose however he says he can't charge me any less. Either way I need my car and they were getting ready to close so I paid it to get my jeep back. Upon further inspection when I get home I realize that they never filled the jeep back up with coolant and they never put a mat down to work on it becaues their is grease and grime all over the sides of the hood. I know its not a new car, but I try to take care of it as best I can.

I called the main headquarters and I'm awaiting a call back from the district manager. I don't know if he will do anything, but I'm going to atleast voice my opinion. Anybody have any similar experiences?

batman 04-12-2011 10:56 AM

Re: Water Pump

Nobody have any similar experience?

4.whoa 04-18-2011 06:00 AM

I get my pumps @ autozone and change them myself. liftime warr. on part and i have no one to blame but myself :p-which i sometimes have to do :o
if the belt is put on to tight it can wear the pump early.

jeepweld 04-18-2011 08:53 PM

It takes me an hour and a half to change a water pump on a 4.0 XJ. I have had them go bad after only a few months after replacing them. I just spent another 35 bucks and threw another one in. The thing is, pumps can go bad and do at anytime. You have to risk this when you have work done at shops. The shop could have used a refurbished pump and who would know. I use refurbished pumps and seldom have problems with them so I can't imagine that a bunch of shops don't use these since they are 20-30 bucks cheaper. The lower hose probably costs them 15 bucks and they basically flush the system when the do the pump. What is a valve cooling system? I have never heard of that.

Brian

batman 04-18-2011 11:29 PM

Neither have I, but its on the bill...lol.

batman 04-18-2011 11:35 PM

I mean it sucks about the pump, but its "technically" out of warranty. What I didn't appreciate is the fact that they didn't put any coolant back in it - it was practically empty, they left my jeep a mess and still I paid more for a pump the second time.

TJXJWJ 04-19-2011 08:13 AM

I would dispute it with the district manager, try to get some of your money back and then find a new shop. There is no excuse for the mess on your fender or the extremely low coolant. A little low, I can understand, but almost empty is just pure ignorance.

robpp 04-19-2011 11:03 AM

in 2001 I brought my 98 XJ in for a coolant flush. i was realatively new to town so i asked my boss where is a place I can trust. price isnt first priority, trust is more important. sends me to some place in his 'hood. even picks me up in the morning i drop it off.

i pick it up late. its dark and I drive it home. i back it in the garage as usual and go to bring in the pails. i walking back to garage and notice the splash shield, it was just some cardboard or something jeep put in there under the motor, its laying on the axle. im pissed as NO oONE has ever touched under the jeep but me so i know the place did it. BUT why were they under there to begin with...........

so saturday is the next chance i have to go there. ask to speak mgr. show him the thing laying on axle and ask WHY WAS THEY TOUCHING anything down there. he says to 'relax, guy is here, will talk to him' so he comes back 'look its a new guy, says he was confused, thoguth it was a trans flush at first and took down the thing'. at this point im like shaking as 'i came here recommended and he tells me he'll fix it. I say I dont want them to touch nothing but I want a new splashguard. he says fine. bring him the bill.

so i leave and head home, on the highwaty doing 70 and BOOM smoke from under hood, WHAP WHAP, WHAP noise. pull over belt is shredded, whacked trans cooler line.
call the guy and say 'I dont know if it related but....' he says 'ill send a truck. tow it to my other place closer to your home. I OK. Its Saturday afternoon so dont look at it till monday. call me monday ' belt split, hit cooler lines. 400 for all of it. i say yeah fix it but wonder if they did something the first time to cause it.

so i take the bus to this place on monday but bus doesnt go ALL the way there so I call and they pick me up. guy picks me up chatting about my jeep.....he says 'yeah that was a mess. but WHY were all the trans cooloer lines unclipped in the first place' AHA i prod a bit more 'what you mean willis' and he says 'yeah all the clips were undone and the cooler line was rubbing on the belt. belt split and ruptured cooler line......

we get to place, i call the manager from the other location, and tell him he can pay the bill cause his dumb ass undid the trans lines for some unknown reason and causwed all the damage. and i want the original bill refunded as well as a trans flush and fill, new belt, cooler lines, all of it on the arm.

they paid for it all./ it was a chain called GREAT AMERICAN TIRE. i think they gone now.

batman 04-22-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 398599)
I would dispute it with the district manager, try to get some of your money back and then find a new shop. There is no excuse for the mess on your fender or the extremely low coolant. A little low, I can understand, but almost empty is just pure ignorance.

Shop manager is conveniently always unavailable and the District Manager will never return my calls. Customer service says I don't have much of an argument (whatever) so I contacted the BBB. They seem to think there is enough of a problem to go through with the complaint. We'll see what happens...

Jahkneefive 05-03-2011 08:00 AM

BBB never does anything, the number of complaints it takes just to get them to send a nasty letter is astronomical. the organization is more of a joke then a help. Check your PMs

batman 05-16-2011 05:38 AM

Turns out you are correct. I was told that the shop would not return their letters/messages and was suggested to hire a lawyer and go to small claims court. Oh well I guess I got to bend over and take it on this one.

Jahkneefive 08-17-2011 07:51 AM

um troll much?????