Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   How to reprogram remote keyless entry for 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/how-to-reprogram-remote-keyless-entry-for-04-jeep-grand-cherokee-ltd-21645.html)

stryker620 04-11-2011 04:55 PM

How to reprogram remote keyless entry for 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd.

can anybody help on reprograming the remote keyless entry for 04 JGC Ltd

Frango100 04-11-2011 08:20 PM

Re: How to reprogram remote keyless entry for 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd.

I think that only the dealer can help you out for the programming of the remotes. Did you get new ones or did the old ones stop working?

uniquetreatone 04-12-2011 10:03 AM

I actually had this done yesterday since my wife lost & daughter lost both of my remotes. You can either go to the dealer or call around & find a auto locksmith. While.he was doing it,I looked through one of his books & if you have a working factory remote then you actually don't need a scan tool.

mopar01bk 04-12-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uniquetreatone (Post 394374)
I actually had this done yesterday since my wife lost & daughter lost both of my remotes. You can either go to the dealer or call around & find a auto locksmith. While.he was doing it,I looked through one of his books & if you have a working factory remote then you actually don't need a scan tool.

How do you program the remotes without a scan tool do u have or know were I came find that write up thanks

Frango100 04-12-2011 02:39 PM

In fact you don't program the remotes, but you program the remote keyless entry module (which is part of the passenger door module) with the access codes of the remotes. You do need a DRBIII scan tool to do this.

uniquetreatone 04-12-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mopar01bk (Post 394497)
How do you program the remotes without a scan tool do u have or know were I came find that write up thanks

I was looking in his car manual that he had me hold while he was working with the scan tool. I also saw the same thing when I did a google search. When I get off work,I'll find it.Basically in his book it said you have to have a working factory key fob not a aftermarket one for this to work.
If I remember it right it goes:1-open the door with your factory remote;
2-get in close the door;3-open the door & lock the door manually;4-turn the key to the on position;5-wait 10-20 seconds & then hold the lock button until you hear the power locks move;6-press unlock to make sure it works.I may have 3 and 4 mixed up,I'm not sure.
The manual said this works for 99 - 04 jeep grand cherokees.He told me he usually uses this method for other grand cherokees that need to program extra remotes.I was about a block or two away from his house before I realized that one of his books was still in my jeep.Before you ask,of course I turned around and took it back.I remember him telling me that book cost a couple of hundred dollars.

stryker620 04-14-2011 12:45 PM

How do you reprogram the other remote Keyless entry of a Grand Cherokee Ltd. 04 when only one remote is working. Pls. anybody help

Frango100 04-14-2011 01:04 PM

Did you try the procedure given by Uniquetreatone? He says that you should have one working factory key fob for this procedure.
When i bought my car, it came only with one key/fob. So i bought both new and the stealer programmed it for me.

Milous 04-14-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker620 (Post 395880)
How do you reprogram the other remote Keyless entry of a Grand Cherokee Ltd. 04 when only one remote is working. Pls. anybody help

You MUST have TWO working remotes in order to program a new one yourself, otherwise you have to see a dealer.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/sentry.htm

Frango100 04-14-2011 09:33 PM

This procedure is for the sentry key Milous, if you have 2 originals of them, you can program others yourself. This procedure doesn´t work for the key fob.

Milous 04-15-2011 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 396189)
This procedure is for the sentry key Milous, if you have 2 originals of them, you can program others yourself. This procedure doesn't work for the key fob.

You are correct, I was thinking of the integrated keys in the WK.

Frango100 04-15-2011 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There was a TSB regarding reprogramming, but it doesn't mention the 2004 WJ. But have a look, maybe you can do something with it: