Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Why don't I like how my new GC Overland drives? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/why-dont-i-like-how-my-new-gc-overland-drives-21647.html)

billybronco1 04-11-2011 05:02 PM

Why don't I like how my new GC Overland drives?

Okay is it me or the the car? I can't get relaxed driving my new GC as it seems to over steer and the slightest movement in the steering wheel makes the car feel erratic. I find I much rather drive in sport mode than in auto mode but gas mileage drops. I just can't relax in the car and I get all tense and really don't like how it feels. I know there was some fine tuning done in stability control early in this cars life to try to correct some of this but I feel it still is not all fixed - anyone else feel the same or is it just me?

Cherodude 04-11-2011 05:41 PM

Re: Why don't I like how my new GC Overland drives?

The steering is sensitive, but if its like mine, once you get used to it it will feel fine. It goes just where its pointed, with no slop.

wreckdive 04-11-2011 05:42 PM

Does your car feel distinctly different from the car you test drove?

nek121328 04-11-2011 05:58 PM

It took a thousand miles before I became comfortable with the steering.

moosehead 04-11-2011 05:59 PM

Because you bought a Land Rover?

J/K. Give it some time, she handles beautifully.

RageOfFury 04-11-2011 06:02 PM

It took me a good 1-2 weeks for me to get use to the WK2 versus my previous Jeep(06 Liberty). I've adapted and found it to be an amazing drive. Extremely comfortable, great visibility.

Give it time, you'll adapt.

LogicNow 04-11-2011 06:32 PM

Personally, I have had the opposite problem. Came from a BMW with sport suspension and the Jeep seems "slow" and "sloppy" in comparison.

In reality it is a nice mix between a European/American response feel. I agree it takes about 1,000 miles to get used to the response. Additionally, it took about 1,000 miles to get the Auto Transmission to respond nice versus dropping 1 gear followed by another a second later. I think this was a mix of me re-learning automatic driving and the computer learning (after 8 years of a manual transmission, it has been a significant change).

AAAA 04-11-2011 06:32 PM

It's just you.

ColdCase 04-11-2011 06:58 PM

I noticed the wider tires on these follow road irregularities and effect the steering more than some other cars. If you are used to riding narrower tires, its going to take some getting used to. Do you have 20 inch or 18s on your jeep?

I recall sneezing when I first got my Vette, and finding myself in the next lane. Now that was responsive... :)

vikingdave 04-11-2011 07:03 PM

What was your previous car ? The steering on the new GC feels very much like it does on any modern car with good handling.

billybronco1 04-11-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 394079)
I noticed the wider tires on these follow road irregularities and effect the steering more than some other cars. If you are used to riding narrower tires, its going to take some getting used to. Do you have 20 inch or 18s on your jeep?

I recall sneezing when I first got my Vette, and finding myself in the next lane. Now that was responsive... :)

20" tires

billybronco1 04-11-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikingdave (Post 394081)
What was your previous car ? The steering on the new GC feels very much like it does on any modern car with good handling.

2006 Nissan Murano - very comfortable to drive until the rear differential went.