Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   my old man is stubborn..... reps and suspension ??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/my-old-man-is-stubborn-reps-and-suspension-21649.html)

nickdemarchis 04-11-2011 05:47 PM

my old man is stubborn..... reps and suspension ???
 
Ok so my dad makes me wait for his approval for all modifications to my wk so i gotta do my homework.... hes a stubborn guy and he spoke to the head service manager at a local chrysler, jeep, dodge dealership and the manager told him that the biggest wheel that can go on my 07 laredo is 18 inches or my truck will bottom out over bumps. so basically my chances of getting the srt reps are slim to none unlessss you guys on here give him an argument lol..... is there anyone on here that have the srt8 20inch reps with no suspension work that there wk rides just fine..... help a guy out to get some sweet rims

robpp 04-11-2011 05:51 PM

Re: my old man is stubborn..... reps and suspension ???
 
you need to show pops a tire calculator.

I like this one http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

put in your tire size.

then for the 20 inch reps you can use a 255/45 20 or a 275/45/20 and show pops that eh DIAMETER is almost the same so the ground clearance will not change.


good luck.

i have the 20x9 vipers on my 07 if you need pics but you should show pops the exavct rims.

nickdemarchis 04-11-2011 05:59 PM

Re: my old man is stubborn..... reps and suspension ???
 
Oh wow that should do it for him thanks alot bro a pic would be cool too just to check out your ride lol

soontobesrt 04-12-2011 12:39 AM

Re: my old man is stubborn..... reps and suspension ???
 
LOL, larger wheels means that you will be sitting at an equal/higher height even with a thinner tire. Now if you slam the Jeep you have a chance of bottoming out but the wheels are again the same as I mentioned earlier, so they are no issue. And even if you "bottom out", so what? Bottoming out in this case, will do no damage, they implement bump stops, to stop over compression of the springs, so no worries :) The guy who told gave you father that info is sadly mistaken. Either that or your dad made it all up because he just doesn't want you to get big wheels and/or spend $, my .02 :) GL with the whole situation.

Knightrider03m 04-12-2011 12:58 AM

Re: my old man is stubborn..... reps and suspension ???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by soontobesrt (Post 394242)
LOL, larger wheels means that you will be sitting at an equal/higher height even with a thinner tire. Now if you slam the Jeep you have a chance of bottoming out but the wheels are again the same as I mentioned earlier, so they are no issue. And even if you "bottom out", so what? Bottoming out in this case, will do no damage, they implement bump stops, to stop over compression of the springs, so no worries :) The guy who told gave you father that info is sadly mistaken. Either that or your dad made it all up because he just doesn't want you to get big wheels and/or spend $, my .02 :) GL with the whole situation.

Oh I can see someone saying that to his father. I had someone tell me that my turn signal moisture was caused by my HID lights.... which is housed in another light :lol:

Relwarc 04-12-2011 08:08 AM

Re: my old man is stubborn..... reps and suspension ???
 
Sounds to me like the jeep shop manager is a little slow.

the size of your rims means nothing. As long as the tire diameter is ok, there should be zero difference.... HA! bottom out... you're not lowering it!

GEEZ 04-12-2011 06:57 PM

Re: my old man is stubborn..... reps and suspension ???
 
i have 20inch reps in nyc and its a daily driver...and i kept them on all winter long with no problems at all...cmon "DAD" you know they look good..

ONEbadHEEPtruck 04-12-2011 07:35 PM

Re: my old man is stubborn..... reps and suspension ???
 
I Shake My Head at the person who works at Jeep and tells you that, like wtf it's a jeep it wont bottom out with 20's on it.. i got 20s and the only thing i worry about with them is hitting potholes (Its a long island thing..crappy road maintenance)... not bottoming out

nickdemarchis 04-12-2011 09:17 PM

Re: my old man is stubborn..... reps and suspension ???
 
ya i beat him in this argument lmao showed him the tire calculator and that was enough evidence that i wouldnt bottom out or anything thanks everyone though appreciate it

LS1GTO 04-19-2011 05:50 PM

Re: my old man is stubborn..... reps and suspension ???
 
95% of people that work at dealerships know about as much about cars as a 6th grader... Its funny that people actually take them seriously.

GR33N D3M0N 04-19-2011 05:59 PM

Re: my old man is stubborn..... reps and suspension ???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1GTO (Post 399031)
95% of people that work at dealerships know about as much about cars as a 6th grader... Its funny that people actually take them seriously.

i test drove a car a few months ago, and they gave me the numbers for a different model!! and i had a salesman tell me wrong info about the headlights of an escalade LOL

AB Jeepster 04-19-2011 06:24 PM

Re: my old man is stubborn..... reps and suspension ???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdemarchis (Post 394034)
Ok so my dad makes me wait for his approval for all modifications to my wk so i gotta do my homework.... hes a stubborn guy and he spoke to the head service manager at a local chrysler, jeep, dodge dealership and the manager told him that the biggest wheel that can go on my 07 laredo is 18 inches or my truck will bottom out over bumps. so basically my chances of getting the srt reps are slim to none unlessss you guys on here give him an argument lol..... is there anyone on here that have the srt8 20inch reps with no suspension work that there wk rides just fine..... help a guy out to get some sweet rims

do what I did.. I was having bottom out and rub issues when I was towing or having two adults in the back seat... and yes two others were in the front seats so it's not what you were thinking........Anyway, check out my signature for reps and suspension mods... I am happy and no issues after that was done fyi.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community