Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Trunk lock (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/trunk-lock-21656.html)

wkjeepgirl86 04-11-2011 09:03 PM

Trunk lock

Has anyone Had problems with the trunk lock? Moms stopped working today. Pulled plastic off and pulled plug on lock. one wire lights up when i push lock, one wire lights up when i push un lock but there are 4 wires going into the plug. the other 2 i cant figure what there supposed to be doing. Since the lock isnt doing anything when its getting power im going to say ive found the problem but she didnt have the 102.00 for the stealership for a new one. Anyone else ever had this problem or any input appreciated

Frango100 04-11-2011 09:42 PM

Re: Trunk lock

The lock motor uses 2 wires only, the passenger door module drivers are switching the polarity to lock or unlock. The other 2 wires are for the flip-up glas cirquit. There is a limit switch in the lock motor which allows the flip-up glas to be opened or not, depending on the lock or unlock position of the motor. So one wire goes to the flip-up glas push button and the other wire to the flip-up glass solenoid.
Your conclusion seems to be right, the lock/unlock motor is the problem. Maybe you can get one from a junkyard for less $$$.

JeepMe 04-12-2011 05:53 AM

I'm not sure how it is on the WKs, but on my WJ there's a switch in the door the prevents it from unlocking. A buddy of mine thought the lock/unlock motor went out on his rear hatch. Turns out that little switch got flipped (preventing it from unlocking) and he didn't know about it.

Frango100 04-12-2011 09:06 AM

Where is this switch jeepme, i never saw it on mine?

JeepMe 04-12-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 394345)
Where is this switch jeepme, i never saw it on mine?

It's located on the inside of the hatch, lower on the driver's side. It's behind a little access panel. I'll take a picture when I get home.

*EDIT* You're in Brazil so I'm not sure if your "driver's side" is the same as the US "driver's side". It's on the left side as you're looking towards the front of the Jeep.

Frango100 04-12-2011 01:02 PM

I will have a look tomorrow. I had opened that small panel once to see how to open the hatch in case the lock motor wouldn't work. I found a small lever to manually unlock it, but didn't see any switch at that time.

Divo Kinevil 04-12-2011 10:42 PM

the small lever is what locks and unlocks. its like a safety switch when this happens so you can still have the peace of mind in locking the lift gate. i am currently having the same problem. i can order one from Autozone for $65. you may want to check an auto parts store instead of a dealer. i don't know if the switch you are talking about is the lever, but that has nothing to do with the solenoid. a few other people in my area with WJs have had the same problem. like the starter solenoid in the older fords, they just wear out.

JeepMe 04-13-2011 07:57 AM

Yeah I'm talking about that little lever. For some reason if I lock the hatch w/ it on my Jeep, it won't unlock the hatch unless I do it manually w/ that lever. But it sounds like that's not normal.

Frango100 04-13-2011 09:18 AM

Just checked it again on my car, but there is no electrical switch. There is only the small lever which just allows you to manually lock/unlock the hatch. If the system doesn´t work electrically, you probably have to check the power lock motor. Jeep manual says the motor is not repairable, but they always say that. I would have a look at it first, maybe that some WD40 would do wonders.

wkjeepgirl86 04-14-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 395123)
Just checked it again on my car, but there is no electrical switch. There is only the small lever which just allows you to manually lock/unlock the hatch. If the system doesn´t work electrically, you probably have to check the power lock motor. Jeep manual says the motor is not repairable, but they always say that. I would have a look at it first, maybe that some WD40 would do wonders.

I believe its gas charged

Frango100 04-14-2011 08:29 AM

When i´m not wrong the lock motor is as the name says, an electrical 2 way motor. I have never opened it, but would not expect any gas charge in there. The electrical switch where i was revering to, was as an answer on one of the comments from JeepMe.