Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Hummmming noise in front end (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/hummmming-noise-in-front-end-21699.html)

kaflyboy 04-12-2011 07:35 PM

Hummmming noise in front end

Has anyone noticed a humming noise, maybe a small vibration, in the front end? could it be the 4x4 system?

I noticed on the interstate tonight around 70mph something was humming... first i thought i was on some uneven pavement but it didnt go away when i got on a better surface. It was still there around 30-45 mph, but quieter. has anyone else noticed this noise? i have the 4x4 hemi in case it might be specific to a particular model.

lyndelw 04-12-2011 08:05 PM

Re: Hummmming noise in front end

Sounds about like the same kind of road noise that I have. Been there since day one. Chrysler authorized a new set of tires,but didn't change the noise situation one bit. My dealer dosen't know what else to do. I contacted Chrysler, there reply was try another dealer. Maybe your dealer will come up with what's causing the road noise.

kaflyboy 04-12-2011 08:10 PM

Do you have 4x4?

lyndelw 04-12-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaflyboy (Post 394776)
Do you have 4x4?

Yes

J13ntv 04-12-2011 08:22 PM

Does it vary with the amount of throttle or consistent although quieter as you mentioned at lower speeds?

kaflyboy 04-12-2011 08:27 PM

I'll need to check tomorrow. i know i adjusted the thottle to see if that made a difference and i dont think that it did... i'll post tomorrow the details.

CrazyJ 04-12-2011 10:33 PM

Same issue here. Posted a thread about it a week or so ago, but I'm on my phone now so I'll dig it up later. I assume yours also varies with pavement quality?

I _will_ get this fixed. It's driving me crazy.

J13ntv 04-12-2011 11:35 PM

The reason I asked about throttle is I notice a "whining" more then a humming noise under certain acceleration. Can't pinpoint if its anything to do with the HVAC but I've turned off the HVAC and still have heard it which led me to assume its not that people speak of with the HVAC issue.

JayB 04-13-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J13ntv (Post 394888)
The reason I asked about throttle is I notice a "whining" more then a humming noise under certain acceleration. Can't pinpoint if its anything to do with the HVAC but I've turned off the HVAC and still have heard it which led me to assume its not that people speak of with the HVAC issue.

Just discovered a similar issue on mine last week. ~5k mi. 4x4 V6 Laredo X w/ QL.

It seems like a small whine at light throttle tip in. Not related to HVAC. I did a quick driveway diagnosis.... going from neutral to drive with foot on brake causes a small whine every time in short (~1-2 second) bursts. Sounds like a possible vibration caused by air/vacuum pressure? Possibly coming from the engine compartment somewhere it seems.

Any other ideas? I was going to ask the dealer if this was normal. Seems this Jeep likes to make a lot of little noises (most are automatic electric systems doing things though I guess??)

litespeedz 04-13-2011 11:28 AM

My experience has taught me asking the dealer if something is normal almost always results in a yes. I take the tact of writing out specific areas of concern and leaving it when I drop off the car. Whether they appreciate it or not it has allowed me to document specifics for them to replicate and diagnose. Otherwise they just tell me the vehicle operates fine. Just my two cents...

CrazyJ 04-13-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB (Post 395185)
Just discovered a similar issue on mine last week. ~5k mi. 4x4 V6 Laredo X w/ QL.

It seems like a small whine at light throttle tip in. Not related to HVAC. I did a quick driveway diagnosis.... going from neutral to drive with foot on brake causes a small whine every time in short (~1-2 second) bursts. Sounds like a possible vibration caused by air/vacuum pressure? Possibly coming from the engine compartment somewhere it seems.

Any other ideas? I was going to ask the dealer if this was normal. Seems this Jeep likes to make a lot of little noises (most are automatic electric systems doing things though I guess??)

This is not the same issue I have. Mine does seem similar to the OP though.

Here is where I outlined my issue:
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/steering-column-hum-drone-moan-21168.html

I've noticed lately that it varies mostly with pavement quality more than anything. On newly paved roads I hear almost nothing. On poor quality pavement I feel/hear it at almost any speed.

I have 4x4 w/ 20 inch rims.

My other car has 18" rims with about half the sidewall height of my GC. I don't hear this kind of noise vibration from it.

kaflyboy 04-13-2011 01:08 PM

I just left the dealer. we did a ride down the interstate. he drove. i could only get it to happen once for just a few seconds... he didnt think it was anything out of the norm. i'm gonna keep driving to see if it gets broken in and quits. not gonna worry about it right now.