Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Clear Bra info (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/clear-bra-info-21704.html)

slampert 04-12-2011 08:23 PM

Clear Bra info

Hey all,

I'm on the fence as to whether or not to add a clear bra to my truck. I'm primarilly a city dweller, but do get out to the desert fairly often where wind gusts can come out of nowhere and really sandblast the car.:eek:

Please share your wisdom. Which brand of film did you use (or are you considering) ? Was it professionally installed or a DIY job ? Did you purchase a pre-cut kit ? How extensive is the coverage on your truck, how does it look, and most importantly does it do the job ??

What do these films look like in 5 yrs ?? I have this image I can't shake of the clear bra looking like failed window tint and wrecking the look of the truck......

Thanks for your input and recommendations !!

Steve

ilber 04-12-2011 11:48 PM

Re: Clear Bra info

i can snap a picture of my other car that has 3M film for last 5 years, which guaranteed not to turn yellow and if you decide to remove it, no glue resedue.
in my opinion it more of the impact area from chipping/bugs/etc.
not really sure how beneficial it would be against winds, say blowing from the side...
my jeep got 3Mc lear bra

wjs81866 04-13-2011 12:29 PM

Who sells this?

mhassler 04-13-2011 12:42 PM

A good, local tint dealership should carry 3M film. And if they do, they should be able to install the clear paint protection on the bumper or anywhere.

I had it done on my Range Rover and G35 previously and niether peeled or turned yellow. When we bought my wife's R350 last June we had the wndows tinted and the bra installed immediately. Her commute is 45-miles on I-95 so a lot of potential for stones. It cost $695 for the full, 2-ft kit (the bra extends 2-ft up the hood). The "half" kit is like 8-10" up the hood and was like $495.

It will get done on my Jeep soon, just wasn't a necessity as I drive much less distance, in lower traffic and at much lower speeds.

I also had the door handle inserts paint protected on my wifes R350 and my Jeep. That area always ends up scratched from finger nails or rings, cost like $20 when they were doing the rest of the work.

I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself, unless you are highly skilled. Applying tint to windows is one thing because they are more or less flat. Anything with a curve proves to be difficult as I found out when tinting my tail-lights - and the front of the Wk2 is not flat.

Regarding my tails lights, personally, I think I did a decent job for a first time try but am not happy. I figured for $40 it was worth a shot. And, the company is refunding my purchase less the $5 S&H because I wasn't happy so it really cost me $5 to try it. As a result in a few weeks I will be sending them out to Jon's Tinted Tails for a professional spray tint. My local tint place wanted $135 to tint the tails with film. Jon wasn't much more and will tint the 3rd brakelight and bumper reflectors - I just have to go without my tailights for a few days :( but it will be worth it :)

Again, if you are highly skilled give it a shot, just make sure you get the application kit and do it in warm weather (75-deg or higher) with low humidty.

cmmurray77 04-13-2011 01:56 PM

I had a 12" 3M bra and the two front windows tinted for $225 here in Denver at a place called Dent Works. I believe they have other locations throughout the US.

I took my Range Rover Sport in there as well to get dings removed at $25 per ding. They do amazing work, and you can't beat the price.

RAO-3 04-13-2011 04:33 PM

My suggestion is to look for a car that has a color similar to yours with the clear film on it, and decide if you like it or not. It's almost invisible (when installed properly) on some colors, but quite noticeable on other colors. Most will also yellow after a time due to uv. If you do decide to go for it, get it installed by a pro and find out how many pieces the kit will have; the fewer pieces the better as there are less seams to see.

I'm not berating it at all, as I have had it on several of my cars but find that it really is personal choice.

BimmerAgent 04-13-2011 11:28 PM

This is THE stuff to get.....

http://www.nanofusionfilm.com/

Designed for auto applications and a lifetime warranty. Looks great. Put it on my JGC. Bruce

scittb 04-13-2011 11:54 PM

Steve, I know its matter of prefrence but I have a friend who installs it and is advising me not to do it. I called a guy in Nassau and wanted over a thousand to do it. My friend said even the best you will see slight cut lines if you ever peel it off and depending on color it may not come out that great. Like I said not bashing anyone all a matter of preference. For the cost of what it is I can repaint the front end twice over 10 years so Im going Braless....lol

mhassler 04-14-2011 07:56 AM

cmmurry77... wow, what a deal!

BimmerAgent... did you do it yourself? If so, how easy was it?

scittb... never thought of it like that.

slampert, wjs81866, anyone else... if you want I will take some pics of the clear bra on the R350. You can see some of the mate/cut lines but only if you look very closely. Most people are amazed that anything is there.

The tint shop indicated the R350 as a '4' on the 1-5 difficulty scale (5 being highest). This was the number the 3M paint protection/clear bra software generated for them (that is how they determine the price... amount of material and the difficulty level). I asked to see the software to verify, they allowed me. I checked it out again when I got my Wk2's windows done and the software said the Wk2 would be a '3' on the scale so it would be a bit cheaper.

Again, all a preference. In my experience, such as when I had my G35-coupe and lived in downtown Baltimore City where I my only parking option was on-street, parrallel parking, the added protection on my front & rear bumpers from the other dummies parallel parking was definitely worth it.

moosehead 04-14-2011 08:46 AM

I will not go without the 3m clear bra on any vehicle. It really is not an option in the mountain west, otherwise the front end gets pitted from sand and gravel. We replace windshields every 3-5 years from pitting.

IMO, this is one where you should pay the man to do it correctly to get a clean install. It's barely noticeable, and will likely only be to you up close.

fireron 04-14-2011 08:56 AM

What Moose said above^. On brilliant black the line is nearly invisible from as close as 3 feet away. As always, a matter of personal preference but if you weigh the chips against the very slight line, I'll take the line any day. I hate seeing the paint chips and if nothing else it helps with resale to some buyers.

J13ntv 04-14-2011 11:04 AM

Getting mine put on tomorrow.

Follow this link; http://www.xpel.com/products/paint_p...8&submodel=884

It is Xpel's self install pre-cut kits to give you an idea of price and design. Most shops use XPel or some other type of software which laser cuts the material and they install. My install is the price of the self install kit for the bumper, hood (bikini cut) fenders and mirrors plus in addition Im getting my 2 front windows tinted and headlights protected.

Nanofusion paint protection film, nearly invisible on black.

To get an idea; Full coverage- http://yfrog.com/h2gb4ffj

Heres a video to a paint protection install on an M6; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5uvu...ure=youtu.be&a