Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Wife backed my Overland into a work truck...help (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/wife-backed-my-overland-into-a-work-truck-help-21709.html)

jtark82rx 04-12-2011 11:40 PM

Wife backed my Overland into a work truck...help

1 Attachment(s)
My first mistake was letting my wife drive my 3 month old Overland, I admit that. Anyhow, while trying to straighten up into a parking spot she backed up right into a work truck with a steel bumper. The damage isn't too bad (but almost brought tears nonetheless) but the silver-coated piece that hangs down over the top of the rear bumper and runs parallel along it will have to be replaced (the bumper itself has no dent). It looks as if this piece could just be removed and a new one could be added in its place. Anyone know what this piece is called or how to order it or go about getting it replaced? Thanks in advance.

Dan JGC 04-12-2011 11:54 PM

Re: Wife backed my Overland into a work truck...help

Ummmmm......You got rear backup sensors and maybe a backup camera too, right? For the love of pete, take the keys away from that lady! LOL Fortunately, damage looks minimal. Good luck!

netcoolery 04-13-2011 12:15 AM

Ouch - As frustrating as it may be right now ... remember, relationships are harder to repair than sheet metal. I'm sure she feels terrible right now - so swallow hard and tell her it's OK.

08Hemi 04-13-2011 12:31 AM

is that the chrome strip or silver? looks like that could be replaced bata bing bata boom...but IDK about the whole bumper piece/removal etc as I am a lowly wk owner :) GL with the fix and sorry you had to re-learn what you already knew = some (most it seems) women do not know how to drive

lewi3069 04-13-2011 12:39 AM

I would haver her sleep on the couch... then tell her its ok this time you'll let it slide, but if it happens again it... (fill in with whatever).

Sorry that had to happen... It was a mistake. So you will have to let it pass. At least you don't have hole in the bumper as I can tell..

netcoolery 04-13-2011 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08Hemi (Post 394905)
is that the chrome strip or silver? looks like that could be replaced bata bing bata boom...but IDK about the whole bumper piece/removal etc as I am a lowly wk owner :) GL with the fix and sorry you had to re-learn what you already knew = some (most it seems) women do not know how to drive

My wife will be out driving as part of a team on a track tomorrow. She's also a former dirt track champion. She knows how to drive.

Dan JGC 04-13-2011 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08Hemi (Post 394905)

Just don't run over that dog (see your photo)....or was it already run over? :eek:

lewi3069 04-13-2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netcoolery (Post 394910)
My wife will be out driving as part of a team on a track tomorrow. She's also a former dirt track champion. She knows how to drive.

You sir... Are a lucky man to find such a great women driver! lol

Juan 04-13-2011 12:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
@ jtark82rx our wives must know each other... I just hoped on here to start a thread talking about my wife in garage accident. While backing up today she swiped the side of the garage with the passenger side mirror. We just moved into this place that has a tiny 1 car garage. There is literally 3 inches of room on each side of the mirrors to get in & out. Anyone know how to install a new mirror on a wk2 ?

I'm debating on fixing it or waiting until she knocks it off to get a new one. And by the way when she told me I took a deep breath swallowed and told her everything was gone be ok. Then I crawled under my desk into the fetal position and started kicking & screaming. Joke ..

netcoolery 04-13-2011 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewi3069 (Post 394913)
You sir... Are a lucky man to find such a great women driver! lol

I am a lucky man indeed, as she is a great catch in many ways. Curiously, when we first married, she didn't care much for my M5 .. thought it rode too "hard" and so forth. All her speed work was in her dirt track past and she was content to tool around town in her (ugh) Ford Thunderbird.

So ... then I took her to BMW Oktoberfest - got her in the M5 on the track with an instructor. Everything changed. We got home and she couldn't get rid of the T-bird fast enough - she's been a bimmer girl ever since. She now appreciates the M5 for what it is and has participated in many driving events with it.

08Hemi 04-13-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netcoolery (Post 394910)

why I said some...very lucky man, this Overland owner from the looks and sounds of it is not as lucky

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan JGC (Post 394911)
Just don't run over that dog (see your photo)....or was it already run over? :eek:

dog is alive and well...good thing too or i'd flip a $hit

mjw930 04-13-2011 10:07 AM

I have yet to let the wife drive it but I'm hoping she won't do anything "bad". I'm not worried since she's one of the best drivers I've had the pleasure of knowing and has many first in class Auto Cross trophies running our Boxster and her GTI.

As for the parts, that's easy and less than $50 if you shop this site:

http://www.mopar-wholesale.com/oemcatalog

You'll need part number 9 (because you probably can't reattach the old pad once it's removed) and 11

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/W/WA11815.gif