Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Cleaned TB, code for idle (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/cleaned-tb-code-for-idle-21720.html)

dmsfun 04-13-2011 07:43 AM

Cleaned TB, code for idle

I installed my Billet tech catch can and cleaned the TB yesterday. I unbolted the TB but did not disonnect the wire. The crud was baked on and took some time to remove with rubbing alcohol, and now it runs great, better than it has in years, but a code came up for high idle. It seems just a litle higher than before. What is the stock setting for idle, and is there a reset procedure or way to adjust ?

jeepgcoman 04-13-2011 06:02 PM

Re: Cleaned TB, code for idle

Try resetting the PCM first....disconnect the battery for ~1 minute and then reconnect. If that doesn't work, there is a passage in the throttle body that is used to regulate idle speed (there is no manual adjustment), via an idle air control motor. Make sure that passage is not obstructed.

4.whoa 04-13-2011 09:20 PM

Is the O ring ok? If it's leaking it could cause high idle

dmsfun 04-14-2011 02:15 PM

I just disassembled, and when i cleaned the TB, also wiped the black gunk off where the o-ring is on the intake, using isopropyl. Looks like the 0-ring may have been affected from the alcohol, so ordered a new one, coming in at the dealer tomorrow, along with a new rubber coupler; the old one has cracks and rubber is crumbling a bit on the inside under where the hose clamps are fitted.

Where is the passage located that controls the idle speed ?

dmsfun 04-15-2011 09:50 AM

OK, all is back to normal now with the new gasket, and resetting the PCM. Runs so much better than before, a lot smoother, with much improved tip in throttle response. THanks to all on JG for the advice on cleaning the TB, and installing the CC !

Walt 04-16-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 394978)
... What is the stock setting for idle, and is there a reset procedure or way to adjust ?

Glad it's running better for you.

There is no set idle speed on these HEMI engines. I searched the owner's manual, FSM, and looked for it on the emissions label. Final went to the dealer's service dept.

Idle will be where the PCM decides it should be, based on ambient conditions. Mine tends to run 600-700rpm in Drive. No adjustment capability is provided (at least on the '08's).

05WK 04-17-2011 10:42 AM

To reset PCM, disconnect the POS battery terminal then turn the key to ON for aprox 15 secs. Then turn key to off and replace the POS battery terminal.

dmsfun 04-17-2011 12:02 PM

I disconnected the neg terminal for about 10 minutes, reconnected, and the pcm reset itself, as that fixed the high idle, no code now, and all the display paramaters reset.

Walt 04-17-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05WK (Post 397356)
To reset PCM, disconnect the POS battery terminal then turn the key to ON for aprox 15 secs. Then turn key to off and replace the POS battery terminal.

It's much safer (for you) to do the negative terminal, rather than the positive terminal. Generally, there are no sparks with the negative terminal and there are no chances that you will short the positive lead.

Both will work though.

sanitarium16 04-21-2011 08:50 AM

Make sure you connected the rubber hose that connects to the sensor in the intake. Forgot to do that when i changed plugs on my wife's 3.7 and it threw a code.