Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   What Rims Look Best On 2011 Body Style? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/what-rims-look-best-on-2011-body-style-21724.html)

fstbiker 04-13-2011 08:31 AM

What Rims Look Best On 2011 Body Style?
 
Cant decided on what rims to get. I was looking at 20in SRT, viper, mopar rims or just keep my 18in and have them chromed. I do like the look of 20's but dont want to make it look too stupid with low profile tires. Any sugestions on rims and tire size would really help. Any one have any good pics that would be great also.

mhassler 04-13-2011 12:24 PM

Re: What Rims Look Best On 2011 Body Style?
 
I see this is your first post, so let me start by saying welcome.

Now, with this question you have opened up yourself to A LOT of opinions of right and wrong, good and bad. Which is fine, that is the intent.

I guess first, what is YOUR intention for your Jeep? And, what kind of Jeep did you get: Laredo, Limited, Overland, 4x2, 4x4? What rims do you currently have? Did you get the ORA (off-road) package? What color? Where are you located? etc...

Some members will say get Chromed 24s and then they will get "made fun" of by the members that want anthracite or black 20" SRT reps for the street scene look and then they will get "made fun" of by the members who (like me) believe that a Jeep is a 4x4 vehicle that looks best with some aggressive, meaty, trail or off-road tires and rims and then I get "made fun" of the by the members who like the 24s - it's all a vicious cycle; but it is more or less fun.

IMO... for everyday driving with no intentions to highly modify or go for one look or another (street scene/off-road/etc.) I think the OEM Overland rims wrapped in the 255/55R20 tires are a great fit for this vehicle, the 20" twin-spoke Chrome MOPARs look great as well.

If you are into hard-core off-roading, or are worried about running winter tires, you will want an 18" rim because you have a larger range of tires to pick from. The stock 18's work well for this as do the balack MOPARs

Just be cautious, if deviating from MOPAR wheels, be sure to get proper backspacing and lug size. I dont have those numbers on the top of my head but you can find answers on this forum under search or on the forums affiliate website www.wk2jeeps.com.

Perhaps add some pics of wheels you are interesed in and ask for a vote. Pics are always good.

Have fun and welcome again.

fstbiker 04-13-2011 02:45 PM

Re: What Rims Look Best On 2011 Body Style?
 
Thanks, I have a 2011 Laredo with the hemi. The look is missing something and its the rims. My vehicle will mostly be on the road but do live in the north east do we do get some snow. 20's is the biggest I would go but an hesitant due to the whole cost of getting rims and tires add up. The 18's do look nice but 20's look better. I was also thinking of getting them PVD by wheelexchange.

Scottina06 04-13-2011 04:30 PM

Re: What Rims Look Best On 2011 Body Style?
 
I dont know where Mhasslers misconceived perception is coming from on the 18's vs 20's or larger. VERY few here have 24's....maybe 1 or 2 members...so no idea where the ill conceived comments for the street guys comes from there. We are an open forum to any wheel style or size etc. Usually the hate about wheel size comes from newbs who havent been here very long...or the offroad crowd who just comes here to stir shit. We are a very well balanced forum of offroad and street guys who are working together and dont hate on each other over wheel/tire sizes. 18's look good and 22's look good on the 2011 and everything in between. Your gonna get lots of opinions.

mhassler 04-13-2011 05:05 PM

Re: What Rims Look Best On 2011 Body Style?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 395382)
I dont know where Mhasslers misconceived perception is coming from on the 18's vs 20's or larger. VERY few here have 24's....maybe 1 or 2 members...so no idea where the ill conceived comments for the street guys comes from there. We are an open forum to any wheel style or size etc. Usually the hate about wheel size comes from newbs who havent been here very long...or the offroad crowd who just comes here to stir shit. We are a very well balanced forum of offroad and street guys who are working together and dont hate on each other over wheel/tire sizes. 18's look good and 22's look good on the 2011 and everything in between. Your gonna get lots of opinions.


Here we go again Scott....

My point was that EVERYONE has a different opinion on what looks good. Go to the wheel and tire thread. Folks have brought up 22s, 24s or larger and they get comments, some more negative than others, by members who think they don't look good. I said nothing negative, I even praised the forum.

What "ill conceived" comment did I say about street guys? I said that there are many people who want the 20"SRT reps for the street scene look.... that seems very true and accurate to me and is a viable answer to the question posted by fstbiker.

I think you need to relax and re-read what I wrote. I welcomed a new member to the forum, twice, told him to enjoy the forum, told him there are lot of different opinions on the forum and that is what makes this forum great. I offered suggestions and ideas to consider when he is setting up his Jeep for his purposes and I even left good safety information concerning backspacing and lug size. If you notice I made no direct indication of what looks best, however, I did say that IMO the stock 20" OEMs or the MOPAR 20s are a good fit for everyday driving, but it all depends on your application. Again, valuable information for a new member - I believe.

Taking personal offense and blasting me is a bit ridiculous.

Fstbiker, I apologize if I gave you the wrong impression of this forum and I apologize again for taking up space within your thread to write this.

smoove7410 04-13-2011 05:48 PM

Re: What Rims Look Best On 2011 Body Style?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fstbiker (Post 395081)
Cant decided on what rims to get. I was looking at 20in SRT, viper, mopar rims or just keep my 18in and have them chromed. I do like the look of 20's but dont want to make it look too stupid with low profile tires. Any sugestions on rims and tire size would really help. Any one have any good pics that would be great also.

Being that the car comes with 20s stock, you have nothing to worry about. I like 5 spokes so my vote would be the srt's with a larger tire.

fstbiker 04-13-2011 06:41 PM

Re: What Rims Look Best On 2011 Body Style?
 
No worries I have been around many forums and I know how the Sh**t stirs quick on these forums.
My current vehicle has 18's. If I wanted a near stock look with 20's and not go low profile what size tires should I do. 265 50 20?

Anyone have any good pics of wheel let me see them, or point me in the right direction. I have been searching the web for the last 2 days and haven't gotten anywhere.

Anyone know a good place to get the new mopar 20in wheels at?

Scottina06 04-13-2011 07:08 PM

Re: What Rims Look Best On 2011 Body Style?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhassler (Post 395402)
Here we go again Scott....

My point was that EVERYONE has a different opinion on what looks good. Go to the wheel and tire thread. Folks have brought up 22s, 24s or larger and they get comments, some more negative than others, by members who think they don't look good. I said nothing negative, I even praised the forum.

What "ill conceived" comment did I say about street guys? I said that there are many people who want the 20"SRT reps for the street scene look.... that seems very true and accurate to me and is a viable answer to the question posted by fstbiker.

I think you need to relax and re-read what I wrote. I welcomed a new member to the forum, twice, told him to enjoy the forum, told him there are lot of different opinions on the forum and that is what makes this forum great. I offered suggestions and ideas to consider when he is setting up his Jeep for his purposes and I even left good safety information concerning backspacing and lug size. If you notice I made no direct indication of what looks best, however, I did say that IMO the stock 20" OEMs or the MOPAR 20s are a good fit for everyday driving, but it all depends on your application. Again, valuable information for a new member - I believe.

Taking personal offense and blasting me is a bit ridiculous.

Fstbiker, I apologize if I gave you the wrong impression of this forum and I apologize again for taking up space within your thread to write this.


everyone can read your post and decide for themselves...but your opinion about everyone elses opinion...is not correct. The only members I have seen bash the larger wheels are the offroaders. Other members may have said they didnt like a certain wheel...but it wasnt because of the size like you say....it was more of style. I dont go into the offroad forums and bash their wheel choices...even if they arent for me.
FWIW...I wasnt taking personal offense or blasting you at all....I would stand up for any wheel size discussion.....and thats what i was doing here. He wanted opinions on "which wheels" to chose or for members to posts examples on wheels...not for someone to come in here and give him an e lesson about the overall JeepGarage wheel opinions. Just saying.....

CPT2010 04-13-2011 07:15 PM

Re: What Rims Look Best On 2011 Body Style?
 
22 vipers would look nice and sporty. also keeps it very classy. every mod i did on my wk i made sure i could bring it to events/business meetings and also look professional not like a punk. goodluck

fstbiker 04-13-2011 07:28 PM

Re: What Rims Look Best On 2011 Body Style?
 
thats why I was looking towards the mopar 20's what tire size would you go with to give it a good stance and handle nice but still be very smooth ride. Anyone also have any good tire recommendations

Radside 04-13-2011 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the SRT Replicas 20's with the stock tire size of 265 50r 20. The rims are 9 inches wide with a 6.34 inch offset. Some people like them, others don't. It's my vehicle, I like them, and that's what matters to me.

mhassler 04-14-2011 08:16 AM

Re: What Rims Look Best On 2011 Body Style?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fstbiker (Post 395455)
No worries I have been around many forums and I know how the Sh**t stirs quick on these forums.
My current vehicle has 18's. If I wanted a near stock look with 20's and not go low profile what size tires should I do. 265 50 20?

Anyone have any good pics of wheel let me see them, or point me in the right direction. I have been searching the web for the last 2 days and haven't gotten anywhere.

Anyone know a good place to get the new mopar 20in wheels at?

trademotion has good prices (the linki had bookmarked no longer works.. anyone have it?) I think another member got them for around $1300/set. You could switch your TPMS and not worry about that cost.

Then tires, well its all in what you get. I think the stock Fortereas are a 265/50R20 and fit well. Just remeber to try to retain the overall OD which is 30.43" and the width which is 10.43". Go too wide and you will hit the knuckle assembly. Go too much larger and the speedo will be inaccurate - unlees it is re-calibrated.

Did you check the wheel/tire sub-forum?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community