Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   Quick Headlight Question (don't yell at me) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/quick-headlight-question-dont-yell-at-me-21725.html)

TheGeek 04-13-2011 08:50 AM

Quick Headlight Question (don't yell at me)

Hello. New to this forum. I just need a quick question answered but lemme explain something real quick. I know NOTHING about projector lights, HID lights, LEDS (my last vehicle was an 85 G-Body) so I plead complete ignorance on this. This is probably a common question, and I know when people asked common knowledge questions on the old car forums, people would usually reply with "use the search button!". My problem is I don't know square one about these, so I don't really know the right question to ask or how to ask it.
I just bought my 2001 WJ last night, fully aware that the headlights were beat (no longer clear) and would need replacing. I've been looking at e-bay at stuff like this--> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK...ht_4233wt_1167
But I've been reading on here about "balasts" and "HID", so my question is: are these things plug and play, or do I need to invest in some kind of HID hookups, ballasts, whatnot?
Like I said, I'm new to this Jeep. I'm not new to cars, working on cars, tearing stuff down, modifying, fabricating etc. I'm a Jeep noob, but I'm still a car guy. I just know squat about how these lights work. Can somebody lay it out simple for me? Thanks in advance.

TJXJWJ 04-13-2011 08:58 AM

Re: Quick Headlight Question (don't yell at me)

Dude, use the search button!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAH.

Those lights you posted a link for are argueably the nicest aftermaket ones made for the WJ. Nice choice. Those lights are built to accept standard bulbs, just like what you have now...so yes, they are plug and play. No need for HID's, LED's, or ballasts.

HOWEVER

These are also projector style lights, so they lend themselves well to HID upgrades. You CAN run regular bulbs. Light output just isn't that fantastic...but probably still better then what you're getting now with your toasted lenses. Hope that answers your question!

TheGeek 04-13-2011 09:06 AM

So I can run it as is for now (projector being regular headlight, and then normal type bulbs for high beams), and still have the option to upgrade to HID later? It's just the whole "projector" type bulb I'm not familiar with, I don't even know how they function. All I know is that they're usually found on more expensive cars like BMW's, but my last car was an 85 Regal, see where I'm coming from? lol. Thanks for the quick response, btw.

JDM12 04-13-2011 09:19 AM

The projector is just the housing surrounding the bulb, it has nothing to do with the bulb. TJXJWJ is saying you can use your halogen bulb in the projectors but they are more suited for HID bulbs. So, yes you could upgrade at a later time, I would buy an HID kit with the housings and just do everything together. Whatever halogen bulb size your vehicle uses, is what HID bulb size you would buy. I'm not even going to get into color temperatures, that you really need to use the search button LOL.

TheGeek 04-13-2011 09:31 AM

Ok, I got it now. Thanks guys. :D

TJXJWJ 04-13-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGeek (Post 395106)
So I can run it as is for now (projector being regular headlight, and then normal type bulbs for high beams), and still have the option to upgrade to HID later? It's just the whole "projector" type bulb I'm not familiar with, I don't even know how they function. All I know is that they're usually found on more expensive cars like BMW's, but my last car was an 85 Regal, see where I'm coming from? lol. Thanks for the quick response, btw.

Regal?!

Definition: : of notable excellence or magnificence : splendid

Sounds like you were doing just fine brother...hehehehe.

JDM nailed it..."projectors" refer to the lens inside the headlight you were e-baying. Not the bulbs. I ran my lights with regular bulbs for awhile before I upgraded to HID.

TheGeek 04-13-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 395144)
Regal?!

Definition: : of notable excellence or magnificence : splendid

Sounds like you were doing just fine brother...hehehehe.

Yeah, sadly my Regal burst into flames and was just totalled out, that's why I bought the Jeep. :(

lll2for3lll 04-13-2011 12:15 PM

WHAT THE HELL!!!!!! GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!!!!!!!!

Lol. There is no such thing as a stupid question. I hate when people reply with smart comment for questions. The aftermarket HId projectors for WJ'a are much better than those made for the WK. I'm jealous.

TheGeek 04-14-2011 07:57 AM

So does anyone want to suggest a good HID kit (ebay)? There's a lot to choose from, who's had good luck with what?

uniquetreatone 04-14-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGeek (Post 395701)
So does anyone want to suggest a good HID kit (ebay)? There's a lot to choose from, who's had good luck with what?

I got my HID kit from XenonDepot,they are a sponsor here. They'll help you out with any questions you may have. Believe me I had a lot of questions & they and members of the forum answered them all.

Leonexx812 04-14-2011 09:14 AM

Yea goto xenondepot.com I got 6500k lo and fogs they were easy to install and look awesome

Sent from my Droid

TJXJWJ 04-14-2011 11:17 AM

x3...XenonDepot. Not only do you get a discount for being a JG member, but they are extremely helpful and have great customer service. I've been running 2 HID kits from them (I bought their projector fog lamps too) and couldn't be happier.